What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Funny/Witty Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Akshara (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:50PM) (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments I'm looking for historical romance novels (regency period preferred) that have the funniest characters/dialogues. Anything that makes you laugh out loud. Witty banter or even sarcasm works too.

Singles or series with standalones, HEA only!

Similar to:
Hello Stranger by Hello Stranger
Most books by Julia Quinn

message 2: by Annamariah (last edited Apr 01, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Annamariah | 284 comments I have found many of Tessa Dare's books very funny. The books in her series work as stand alone, too.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Who can ever forget Georgette Heyer for witty, interesting Regencies? She isn't called The Mother of the Regency Romance for nothin'. :o) And almost all of her books are standalones--except for the Alastair series. And that's a father then son romance. But can still be read as standalones.

I found Ms. Heyer's books many moons ago--about the time that she passed away. And up until I found them, I'd kind of looked down on historical romances (except the ones that were written by Jane Austen andEmmuska Orczy.) And then, for some reason, I had to read one of Ms. Heyer's books--perhaps for an English class--and discovered that some people could write an interesting, intelligent and witty romance. Since then, I think I've read every one of her books at least 10 times. Some much more than that.

Um, sorry, just realized how long I'd been rhapsodizing about my serious crush on her writing. But seriously--try her.

Oh, and if you like Steampunk try the Iron Seas series by Meljean Brook.

message 4: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments Annamariah wrote: "I have found many of Tessa Dare's books very funny..."

I've read Tessa Dare. And, yes, I love her books too! Thanks for the recom.

Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Who can ever forget Georgette Heyer for witty, interesting Regencies?..."

I've been recommended TGS many times and I get so excited, but then I read the blurb and the word "cousin" ...and my balloon's popped! But I've bought it ... and I'll definitely read it this time. Thanks again, Ann!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex | 239 comments I love Tessa Dare n Julia Quinn. Her r some others I have particularly enjoyed:
Rachel Van Dyken
Rose Gordon
Elizabeth Boyle
Norma Darcy
Julia Johnstone
Sophie Jordan
Stephanie Laurens

Just to mention a few lol

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Akshara, you need to remember--during the nineteenth century (actually, almost every time period until the twentieth century, when travel became so easy) you married who was available--which meant that a lot of times, it was a cousin. And that was even more true for the upper classes. They married to "keep the money/land in the family" if at all possible. Yes, the Regency was when "romantic" marriages first really appeared in literature and in the minds of people, but very few people were able to marry for love.

Er, sorry about that--history nut, and I'm bothered by how many people don't realize that you can't judge history by modern standards. Even the "history" of 50 years ago can't be judged by what's happening now, and that's practically yesterday compared to 100 or 200 years ago.

Ok, sorry again. I'll get off my soapbox now.

message 7: by Akshara (last edited Apr 02, 2018 07:21PM) (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments I think it's the same for royalties all over the world. Even now, many Indian royalties go to private schools where lineage is an admission criteria, and only marry other royalty ... who eventually turn out to be cousins because you can only choose from a countable number of peers.

So, I understand the familial pressure that the aristocratic children face. And also the fact that they are not taught any better. But I can still judge the social strata for its narrow-mindedness. Also, I realize that romance is a rather modern concept in the history of marriages, which originally started as a way to acquire females and later evolved into acquistion of property. So people basically didn't know any better. Still, I imbibe whatever I'm reading ... and I think "cousin" and "marriage" and ... I have to consciously ask my brain to continue!

I kinda am a sucker for history lessons myself, so no problem n thanks, Ann! :D

message 8: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments Alex wrote: "I love Tessa Dare n Julia Quinn. Her r some others I have particularly enjoyed..."

Thanks, Alex ... I'll go through the list!

message 9: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 183 comments Lynsay Sands

I most remember laughing out loud at one of her Scottish historicals and one of her vampire series. I remember the humor being in funny situations. But, she has a pretty extensive book list that includes historical romance of different types. I’ve read all of her books, but I can’t mentally keep them all separate.

“Devil of the Highlands” is the highlander book that is permanently stuck in my brain. I know it’s not regency, but it’s there if you want to branch out.

“The Countess” was funny and fits in the regency category, I think. It comes from a series of 3 books called the Madison Sisters.

She has more historicals filed under “not part of a series”, and I saw some regency looking possibilities.

message 10: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 302 comments Georgette Heyer - but not all of her books are funny. I particularly love: Sprig Muslin, Cotillion, The Unknown Ajax, The Grand Sophy, Sylvester, The Talisman Ring, Frederica.

Mary Balogh - The Famous Heroine, The Temporary Wife, and others.

Julia Quinn - Just Like Heaven, It's in His Kiss and a lot of others.

Lisa Kleypas - Secrets of a Summer Night and others I can't think of right now.

Also by various authors - Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career, The Proposition, Miss Wonderful, Lord Perfect.

I have a particular fondness for funny historical romance, myself. :)

message 11: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments Ebookworm2016 wrote: "Lynsay Sands..."

Love the blurb of The Countess! Thanks :)

Teri-K wrote: "...I have a particular fondness for funny historical romance, myself. :) "

Off I go, snooping through your shelves! Thank you :D

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The Scarlet Pimpernel, if you haven't already read it.

message 13: by kelgar01 (new)

kelgar01 | 185 comments Julie Garwood's historicals, especially Prince Charming make me laugh out loud.

message 14: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Scarlet Pimpernel, if you haven't already read it."

Is it a standalone romance?

kelgar01 wrote: "Julie Garwood's historicals, especially Prince Charming make me laugh out loud."

Thanks for the suggestion!

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Anything by Jane Austen fits this to a T, especially Pride and Prejudice.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Wow--I can't believe that we made it to 15 suggestions before anyone suggested Jane Austen. Well, at least Michele was thinking.

message 17: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments Right?! Elizabeth & Mr. Darcy's banter is the inspiration to all other (flirty) banters, I think!

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Akshara wrote: "Right?! Elizabeth & Mr. Darcy's banter is the inspiration to all other (flirty) banters, I think!"

My thoughts exactly :)