I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
43 views
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (April 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
What comics and OGN's are you reading right now? Have you noticed any art lately that you really love? Are you looking forward to (or dreading) any summer comic events?


message 2: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 6 comments I’m working my way through Fables again. The world-building is second-to-none and the art is a perfect match for the storybook origin of the characters. Expect a cavalcade if 5 Star re-read reviews,


message 3: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
Aidan wrote: "I’m working my way through Fables again. The world-building is second-to-none and the art is a perfect match for the storybook origin of the characters. Expect a cavalcade if 5 Star re-read reviews,"

That is one behemoth I have yet to try to tackle. If you're re-reading, it's gotta be good, yeah? haha


message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
I just wrapped 僕のヒーローアカデミア 10 Boku No Hero Academia 10 (My Hero Academia) and it is amazing. It's X-Men and Anime and hero-drama all wrapped up into a series full of incredibly lovable characters--heroes and villains. I love this damn series.


message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Mike wrote: "That is one behemoth I have yet to try to tackle. If you're re-reading, it's gotta be good, yeah? haha "

I've read through Fables a few times. It's well worth reading, especially those Deluxe editions they put out in the last few years.

Today, I'm reading The Escapist - Amazing Adventures. It's very meta.


message 6: by Francis (new)

Francis | 124 comments I'm reading Justice League Vol. 2 Outbreak just now, and I'm enjoying Doomsday Clock, I thought the most recent issue was great.

I'm up to Vol. 5, 6 and 7 of Fables which I got on sale recently, looking forward to getting stuck into them.


message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments I recently finished Iceman Vol. 1: Thawing Out. It was fantastic. I will have to seek out the second volume sometime.


message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe (joe_loves_mini_schnaizers) Aidan wrote: "I’m working my way through Fables again. The world-building is second-to-none and the art is a perfect match for the storybook origin of the characters. Expect a cavalcade if 5 Star re-read reviews,"

Me, too, Aidan. I can't recall why I had stopped reading the tpbs a few years back, but I am now digital, making it a lot cheaper (and easier) to continue. I just finished Vol 1, and I am quickly remembering why I loved this series so much!


message 9: by Chad (last edited Apr 03, 2018 09:20AM) (new)


message 10: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Today it was The Massive: Ninth Wave and Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye"

SOLID choices. The Massive is a fantastic series and Ninth Wave was the cherry on top of it all.


message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments Just started Batman and the Outsiders Vol. 2. I read the first volume a while back, and saw the second is available via Hoopla. These are my sort of "comfort comics": solid Bronze Age DC superhero stuff with art by my favorite Batman artist, Jim Aparo.

Also finally getting around to Grass Kings, Vol. 1, which my girlfriend bought me for Valentine's Day. Too many comics. Not enough time.


message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Alford | 1 comments I just re-read the trade paperback Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew:The Final Ark


message 13: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Paul wrote: "Just started Batman and the Outsiders Vol. 2. I read the first volume a while back, and saw the second is available via Hoopla. These are my sort of "comfort comics": solid Bronze Age DC superhero stuff with art by my favorite Batman artist, Jim Aparo."

I've always loved the Outsiders. I've got the first volume at home to reread now. I've got a lot of the single issues too.


message 14: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Lewis (beyhnji) | 4 comments I am new to comics, so I started with Alan Moore. This led me to swamp thing. This led me to needing more swamp thing. Just finished Swamp Thing, Volume 7: Season's End, and the creativity shifted into overdrive. This is my favorite comic reading experience I've ever had.

But I have no idea where to go now.


message 15: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run:

X-Men Gold 25- the team fights a rogue guard and the warden learns why you shouldn't put Storm in a small space. Also, something from Storm's past makes a surprise return.
Star Wars 46- A Princess plans to rescue a King.
Red Sonja 14- Red makes it back but a lot has changed
Nightwing 42- a Nightwing/Robin sort of team up one shot
Iron Fist 79- the demonic tournament in Vegas takes a nasty turn
Green Hornet 2- Mulan is the Hornet, but where's Britt?
Green Arrow 39- Can Oliver help a war torn country? And why is Superman on the cover when he's not in the issue?
Bombshells 15- they lose a Batgirl, clear a heroine, and once again the male characters are bad...
Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands 6/6- the miniseries concludes that sets up a continuity that contradicts both previous comic history and the tv show. Odd timing for that...
Avengers 687- the struggle continues and a returned Banner tries to accept his new reality.
Batman 44- another great character driven issue as flashbacks combine with Selina's unique way of finding a wedding dress.
New Mutants: Dead Souls 2- the mini continues as the team fights a Frost Giant?


message 16: by Joe (new)

Joe (joe_loves_mini_schnaizers) Benjamin wrote: "I am new to comics, so I started with Alan Moore. This led me to swamp thing. This led me to needing more swamp thing. Just finished Swamp Thing, Volume 7: Season's End, and the cre..."

I am a big fan of the Moore ST issues. I'm just starting on Vol 2 of the digital versions. The content and dialogue holds up surprisingly well.

Hmm.. Something else to pick up? I would easily recommend Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN as a great next direction. Also, James Robinson's STARMAN run.


message 17: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Dominick wrote: "Hmm.. Something else to pick up? I would easily recommend Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN as a great next direction. Also, James Robinson's STARMAN run. "

Those are two of my all time favorites. I'd also throw in Joe Hill's Locke & Key, Jonathan Hickman's East of West, Greg Rucka's Lazarus and Queen and Country, Cullen Bunn's Sixth Gun, and any of the many series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.


message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "I am new to comics, so I started with Alan Moore. This led me to swamp thing. This led me to needing more swamp thing. Just finished Swamp Thing, Volume 7: Season's End, and the cre..."

If you liked Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing, I'd recommend trying his New 52 Batman run. It starts with Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls.


message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Dominick wrote: "Hmm.. Something else to pick up? I would easily recommend Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN as a great next direction. Also, James Robinson's STARMAN run. "

Those are two of my all time favor..."


Great recommendations! I love Lazarus and Queen and Country.


message 20: by Becca (new)

Becca I'm on a Batgirl kick. I recently came across Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1. Seriously, this is a must read! I'd love to read more of her backstory as Spoiler and Robin. Anyone have any comic book suggestions on where to start?


message 21: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Becca wrote: "I'm on a Batgirl kick. I recently came across Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1. Seriously, this is a must read! I'd love to read more of her backstory as Spoiler and Robin. Anyone..."

She was a reoccurring character in the Robin books that Chuck Dixon wrote. She also features prominently in Batman: War Games.


message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Becca wrote: "I'm on a Batgirl kick. I recently came across Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1. Seriously, this is a must read! I'd love to read more of her backstory as Spoiler and Robin. Anyone..."

It's not related to Stephanie Brown, but I highly recommend Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection and the rest of the Gail Simone run if you haven't already read those.


message 23: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
Yeah! That new-52 run of Batgirl was pretty great.


message 24: by Joe (new)

Joe (joe_loves_mini_schnaizers) Okay, so yeah, FABLES Vol 2. I was going to start it, was all ready, and then Comixology had a pretty solid Dark Horse sales, which include Vols 1 and 2 of BLACK HAMMER. A co-worker (and fellow GoodReads member) had recommended it to me. This was the third time I've seen it on sale since his recommendation after Christmas, so I thought it was high time I jumped on. And boy am I ever glad I jumped on it! Only about 33% in, and it is ridiculously good! Lemire is a frikkin' GENIUS!


message 25: by Becca (new)

Becca Chad wrote: "Becca wrote: "I'm on a Batgirl kick. I recently came across Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1. Seriously, this is a must read! I'd love to read more of her backstory as Spoiler and..."

Thank you, Chad. I'll check those out!


message 26: by Becca (last edited Apr 08, 2018 10:15AM) (new)

Becca Phillip wrote: "Becca wrote: "I'm on a Batgirl kick. I recently came across Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1. Seriously, this is a must read! I'd love to read more of her backstory as Spoiler and..."

Phillip, I have the Batgirl new 52, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I just can't seem to keep up with everything I want to read :) Thanks for the suggestion.


message 27: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
Dominick wrote: "Okay, so yeah, FABLES Vol 2. I was going to start it, was all ready, and then Comixology had a pretty solid Dark Horse sales, which include Vols 1 and 2 of BLACK HAMMER. A co-worker (and fellow Goo..."

This is a favorite of Nick and me. It's seriously SUCH a solid super hero comic set in a very cool universe!


message 28: by Ji-Li (new)

Ji-Li | 2 comments I've been reading the Flash Silver Age volume 2 to my infant this month.
The Flash: The Silver Age Vol. 2


message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Hey, I don't know if this is the best thread to ask, but I was going to start reading Batman RIP but stopped myself after a thought. I haven't read Hush yet, and I vaguely recall that Battle for the Cowl comes after RIP, but are there any other major collected arcs that I should read before starting RIP and immediately afterwards? I've made the mistake of reading graphic novels out of sequence before and it has hindered my reading experience greatly, so I'd like to avoid that if I can. Thanks in advance for any help!


message 30: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments I think all of the Grant Morrison Batman stuff can be read on its own straight through. Then you can go back and read some of the Detective stuff if you want. A lot of it is definitely worth reading, especially the Paul Dini and Scott Snyder written issues.


message 31: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments This week I've been going back and reading All Star Western on hoopla, reading the latest Green Lantern GNs. And then I was recently introduced to Gunnerkrigg Court and have burned through the first 4 collections this week. It's a lot of fun.


message 32: by Christopher (last edited Apr 11, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Chris wrote: "Hey, I don't know if this is the best thread to ask, but I was going to start reading Batman RIP but stopped myself after a thought. I haven't read Hush yet, and I vaguely recall that Battle for th..."

I don't think you need to read Hush and Battle for the Cowl in preparation for Batman RIP, but you might want to read Batman and Son, Batman: The Black Glove, Deluxe Edition, and Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn.

I haven't read them in order, so I am a little confused about it myself.


message 33: by Pixel (new)

Pixel (pixelqueer) Currently getting through Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, GwenPool, and and Reading up on the original Ms.Marvel


message 34: by Francis (new)

Francis | 124 comments I'm reading The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 5 Imperial Phase at the moment, and I'm going to start Pretty Deadly Vol. 1 for the Book of the Month thread. I also need to catch up with Sex Criminals #23, and today I got Birds of Prey #21 and I'm giving Domino #1 a try.

What a joy comics are!


message 35: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Francis wrote: "I'm reading The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 5 Imperial Phase at the moment, and I'm going to start Pretty Deadly Vol. 1 for the Book of the Month thread. I also need to catch up with Sex Criminals #23..."

Wicked + Divine has gotten so complicated I no longer know what the hell is going on.


message 36: by Francis (new)

Francis | 124 comments To be honest, I've never felt on safe ground with the meaning of Wicked + Divine, but, whilst trying not to give anything away, the start of this volume seems to be acknowledging that no one knows what's going on. Don't know if there will be any answers and, even if there are, whether I understand them. I just know that I like it though.


message 37: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run got me:

Domino 1- Gail Simone tackles Dom, Outlaw, and Dazzler among others.
Titans 22- Donna finally starts listening to Roy no matter what the League thinks.
Avengers 688- Can Quicksilver catch the drone freezing all the Avengers?
Star Wars: Thrawn 3- Intrigue in the Empire
Suicide Squad 39- The Squad versus the Wall (not that one)
Legenderry Red Sonja 3- swashbuckling action on a cursed island
Champions 19- the team gets a new HQ
Batgirl & The Birds of Prey 21- Calculator and company are still after Oracle
Justice League of America 28- the team visits pre-history and the god of superheroes?
Falcon 7- Where Deacon Frost goes, can Blade be far behind?
Detective 978- Uylsses makes his move and it's not what anyone expected.


message 38: by Becca (new)

Becca Wayland wrote: "This week's comic shop run got me:

Domino 1- Gail Simone tackles Dom, Outlaw, and Dazzler among others.
Titans 22- Donna finally starts listening to Roy no matter what the League thinks.
Avengers..."

I picked up Domino (2018) #1 too...well, I got it digitally :) It's fun, but I'm not too familiar with the characters in the Marvel universe.
I was eagerly awaiting issue #5 of Witchblade, but it's been pushed back to 4/18
I'm trying to decide whether to finish Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. I felt like it started off strong, but I wasn't crazy about the last few issues (14-17).
I'm reading Batman: Detective Comics: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1


message 39: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments My personal rule of thumb is give anything Gail Simone is writing at least a look. She's a great writer and a lot of fun. Got to meet her once, and she's just as entertaining in person.


message 40: by Becca (new)

Becca Wayland wrote: "My personal rule of thumb is give anything Gail Simone is writing at least a look. She's a great writer and a lot of fun. Got to meet her once, and she's just as entertaining in person."

I enjoyed Domino, issue #1.


message 41: by Francis (new)

Francis | 124 comments I don't know anything about the Domino character, but I agree that I'll read any Gail Simone I can get my hands on.
I just really love the Birds of Prey characters, I will persevere with that comic unless it got objectionable to me.


message 42: by Becca (new)

Becca Francis wrote: "I don't know anything about the Domino character, but I agree that I'll read any Gail Simone I can get my hands on.
I just really love the Birds of Prey characters, I will persevere with that comi..."


I'm not familiar with the Domino characters either, and being the overly meticulous person that I am, I was researching them after reading issue 1. I know, mega-nerd, lol.
I'm glad to hear that people enjoy Gail Simone's work. When I got on youtube last night to look up some videos about Domino and her crew, I found some videos that were throwing super shade about Simone. I don't like that kind of stuff. But, to be honest, it seemed like the content creator had bad things to say about female comic book characters too.


message 43: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Domino is just a mutant with luck powers. Most of her appearances are in X-Force if you want to read her past exploits.


message 44: by Becca (new)

Becca Chad wrote: "Domino is just a mutant with luck powers. Most of her appearances are in X-Force if you want to read her past exploits."

Thank you! I wanted a quick rundown on her origins, but I'll have to add some X-Force to my list.


message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Chad wrote: "I think all of the Grant Morrison Batman stuff can be read on its own straight through. Then you can go back and read some of the Detective stuff if you want. A lot of it is definitely worth readin..."

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably wait until I read some of his run before starting RIP since it'll seem to help.


message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Christopher wrote: "Chris wrote: "Hey, I don't know if this is the best thread to ask, but I was going to start reading Batman RIP but stopped myself after a thought. I haven't read Hush yet, and I vaguely recall that..."

Thanks, it looks like I need a lot of preparation before reading RIP, the ones you listed seem like ones I'd want to read beforehand.


message 47: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments I haven't had time to read as much as i would like.

Madame Mirage Volume 1 for our LCS book club
Dark Nights: Metal - reread previous issues and finished the story.
Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1: The Shrike BOTM for IRCB
The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross - Yes! I am still reading. I am in too deep but i only read once it goes to Hoopla


message 48: by Becca (new)

Becca I just finished Scarlet Witch #1. It's got me interested, so I'll be reading more of this one!


message 49: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Becca wrote: "I just finished Scarlet Witch #1. It's got me interested, so I'll be reading more of this one!"

Have you read Ms. Marvel? I think you'd really enjoy it given what else you've been reading.


message 50: by Becca (new)

Becca Chad wrote: "Becca wrote: "I just finished Scarlet Witch #1. It's got me interested, so I'll be reading more of this one!"

Have you read Ms. Marvel? I think you'd really enjoy i..."


Chad,
I've read vol. 1&2.


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.