You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > April 2018 - Stormy Weather REPORTING thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments April 2018 Challenge – Stormy Weather Reporting Thread

When you have finished you book, report it in this thread. Link to the book and score it as follows. Count all that apply.

We all seem to have been hit with unusual storms recently. In an effort to banish them away, we’re going to focus on them. It will be similar to the strategy applied to children who seek attention by being naughty. Pay attention to them, and the temper tantrums stop. Too simplistic? Let’s give it a whirl.

The challenge for April is to read a book with a “stormy word” in the title:

Storm
Rain
Snow
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Monsoon
Wind

Qualifiers:

1. Plurals, and other forms of the words are allowed. Storms, Stormed, Stormy, etc.

2. You are not restricted to the list. As long as the word is some type of storm, you may use it. Note: Words like “climate” “weather”, etc are not storms. Best to ask for a ruling if you are in doubt. If it's obvious, please don't ask for a ruling.

3. Sub-titles and series names are not allowed.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Challenge.
4. The book must be read between April 1 – Apr 30, 2018 (based on your local time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose.
6. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading an audiobook or ebook where page numbers aren't listed, page numbers will be determined by the hardcover issue. If there is no hardcover, then paperback issue. Where there are more than one editions, the one with the highest number of ratings will be used.

Scoring: (based on the edition you read)

Title:
5 pts – One word exactly (no a, an, the, etc)
4 pts – Contains the word "Spring", "Summer", "Fall", "Winter". (exact word only - no plurals or possessive forms)
3 pts – Has a hyphenated word in it
2 pts – Contains a proper name a person.
1 pts – Has one word preceded by “a”, “an”, “the”. Clarification - This title would be technically two words, where the first word is "a", "an", or "the".

Cover:
5 pts – is 75% green
4 pts – has the title across the bottom of the page
3 pts – has the author’s name in any colour other than black or white
2 pts – is 75% black
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
5 pts – was born or currently residing in a country other than Canada, England, the Netherlands, Australia, or United States
4 pts – Is female
3 pts – is male
2 pts – is deceased
1 pts – was born or currently residing in Canada, England, the Netherlands, Australia, or United States

Genre:
5 pts – Science Fiction
4 pts – Horror
3 pts – Romance
2 pts – Mystery
1 pts – Historical Fiction

Bonus Points:
Holy Humour Month: Did you laugh out loud at least once at something in the book? Take 3 points

International Guitar Month: If a character played a musical instrument, take 3 points

Student Empowerment Week: if a character is a student, take 3 points.

A reporting thread will be set up to report the book you’ve read, and the score you obtained. Happy reading. Bring on the sun.

message 2: by Lanelle (last edited Apr 13, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments I picked up Twistered by J.L. Wilson as a free ebook about 6 years ago. Thanks for the push to finally read it :)

There was nothing too special or unusual about the story. All the references to Kansas and the Wizard of Oz got a little old after a while. I'd give it 3 stars.

Here are my points:
Title:
Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm
Author:
4 pts – Is female
1 pts – was born or currently residing in United States
Genre: (both are on the book's main page as genres)
3 pts – Romance
2 pts – Mystery
Bonus Points:
Student Empowerment Week: if a character is a student, take 3 points. (Dorothea, aka Baby Dot, is in high school.)

total points: 19

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments Nice score, Lanelle!

message 4: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments Janice wrote: "Nice score, Lanelle!"

Thanks, Janice.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Wow Lanelle, the first reported score is already a hard one to beat!

message 6: by Casceil (last edited Apr 06, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I read The Case of the Hurricane Hounds (The Thousand Islands Doggy Inn Mysteries) . It is a humorous mystery, and I enjoyed it, but it does not qualify for many points. I score no points for title or cover, and I am not sure I score any for author. The author is B. R. Snow. I don't know if that is a man or a woman, let alone the author's nationality. The "about B.R. Snow page provides no info except a list of books. It's a mystery, which is worth two points. I laughed out loud more than once, so I get three bonus points for that. That brings me to five points.

Jenn and Janice tell me B.R. Snow is male and lives in Texas, which adds four more points for a total of nine points.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2195 comments Casceil wrote: "I read The Case of the Hurricane Hounds (The Thousand Islands Doggy Inn Mysteries) . ..."
B.R. Snow is a man, currently residing in Austin, Texas for a few more points :)

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments Yes, I found his bio on Amazon. You can add 4 more points to your score, Casceil.

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Thanks, guys. I will edit my earlier message.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope and enjoyed it very much.

Title:
0 pts

Cover:
0 pts

Author:
5 pts – was born or currently residing in a country other than Canada, England, the Netherlands, Australia, or United States
3 pts – is male

Genre:
0 pts

Bonus Points:
- Holy Humour Month: Did you laugh out loud at least once at something in the book? Take 3 points
- Student Empowerment Week: if a character is a student, take 3 points.

Total: 14 points

message 11: by Margo (last edited Apr 07, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Margo | 9786 comments I read Lightning Lightning by Dean Koontz **** (3.5)

Scoring: (based on the edition you read)

Title:
5 pts– One word exactly (no a, an, the, etc)

Cover:
2 pts – is 75% black **
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
3 pts – is male
1 pts – was born or currently residing in Canada, England, the Netherlands, Australia, or United States

Genre:
5 pts – Science Fiction
4 pts – Horror

Bonus Points:
Holy Humour Month: Did you laugh out loud at least once at something in the book? Take 3 points

** Not only was was it not black, I didn't even have the cover I thought I had! All amended not. Cover is blue so no points there.

TOTAL: 32

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Wow Margo, monster score! I had another book in mind for this challenge which would give me more points than the one I now reported (around 20 I think), but I also have it for the Zodiac challenge, so I was in doubt whether to read or not. Thanks for solving my problem for me! ;-)

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9786 comments I know, I struck gold with this chalkenge 😃

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments This may have been the perfect book for the challenge, Margo.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I finished my book for the challenge - The Sound of Rain.

Score:

Cover -
- 3 pts, author's name in greenish yellow
- 1 pts, depicts a storm

Author -
- 3 pts, male
- 1 pts, American

Genre -
- 2 pts, Mystery

Total points - 10

message 16: by Karen (last edited Apr 08, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments For this Challenge I read The Glory Wind The Glory Wind by Valerie Sherrard a YA novel by Valerie Sherrard.

Score: 10 points

Title: 0 points
Cover: 1 pts – depicts a storm
Author: 5Pts (4+1 pts - female born /currently residing in Canada)
Genre: 1 pts – Historical Fiction
Bonus Points: 3pts - character is a student

Not a high score but if was a really enjoyable read for me. I found the book by searching "wind" in my local library through OverDrive. It was a great find - a 4 star read (almost 5 star) by a Canadian author I had never heard of before; discoveries like this are one great reason to be part of book clubs and participate in challenges like this one. :)

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I'm glad you found a gem, Karen.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Karen wrote: discoveries like this are one great reason to be part of book clubs and participate in challenges like this one. :)"

True.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13608 comments I read Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin for this challenge.

Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin

Scoring:

Title: 2
2 pts – Contains a proper name a person. (The dog's name was Rain because he was found in a storm.)

Cover: 1
1 pt – depicts a storm

Author: 5
4 pts – Is female
1 pt – was born or currently residing in Canada, England, the Netherlands, Australia, or United States

Genre: 0

Bonus Points: 3

Total: 11

message 20: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments I read The Thunder of Giants The Thunder of Giants by Joel Fishbane for this challenge.

Title:
0 pts

Cover:
0 pts

Author:
3 pts – is male
1 pts – was born or is currently residing in Canada

Genre:
1 pts – Historical Fiction

Bonus Points:

Total = 8 points (hoping for the glue stick!).

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments So far the gluestick is yours with half the month to go.

message 22: by Almeta (last edited Apr 14, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments Perfect day to finish Stormy Weather Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen . Looks as though it is going to rain all day today!☻

Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm -weather vane on rooftop during a hurricane

Author:
3 pts – is male
1 pts – was born in Florida, United States

Genre:
2 pts – Mystery

Bonus Points:

International Guitar Month: If a character played a musical instrument, take 3 points - plays tenor saxophone

Student Empowerment Week: if a character is a student, take 3 points. - wisecracking medical students

16 points

message 23: by siriusedward (last edited Apr 14, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Finished The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng.

I am in book hangover I think.

Such a beautiful book.With great characters .
Kept me thinking of the oppression still going around Israel to Palestine... and those of days gone By British and other Colonial power on the people they conquered. ...Hitler.... Native americans struggles..the struggles of the Afroamericans amd the Africans..and the struggles of low caste people in India...and of course always there is the oppression of women..
when you stop to think about it there is always a war or such cruelty going on somewhere in the world..it never stopped..its always been there..it is still there..
it can be depressing..But there is also kindness and compassion of people everywhere..
one should always remind oneself of this..

sorry...as you see this book made me think and feel a lot... but there is a certain peace or calmness that he wrote even into scenes with great atrocities. ..

you could feel the struggle of Philip ..I really felt for them all..except of course Saotome ..Fushihara? Hiroshi and Goro & co..they deserved what they got and more...yup I am vindictive...

☆☆☆☆☆☆

I can't express my love for it enough..

Author
Born in Malaysia : 5
Male : 3
Historical Fiction :1
Musical instrument was played by Fushihara and Goro,a piano : 3
the narrator is a student of Aikido : 3

Total :15

message 24: by Jannene (last edited Apr 15, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

Jannene | 2793 comments Finished Firestorm Firestorm by Iris Johansen

Title:

Cover:

Author:
4 pts – Is female
1 pts – was born or currently residing in United States (Missouri)

Genre:
3 pts- Romance
2 pts – Mystery

Total points| 22

message 25: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Both?
Or the whichever has the highest points maybe?

he he

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 14, 2018 07:49PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments Jannene wrote: "Also listed as a romance. Which should be used?."

You count all points that apply, just like you did for the cover and author. Add another 3 points to your score Jannene.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 342 comments I read Snowboundby Blake Crouch
I liked the book but it didn’t have the same magic for me that some of his other books do. I loved the Wayward Pines series!

Cover-3 points (has authors name in colour other than black or white) + 1 point (depicts a storm)
Author- 3 points (is male) + 1 point (lives in States)
Genre - 4 points (horror) + 1 point (mystery)
Student Empowerment Week - 3 points (Devlin Innis is a high school student)

Total=21 points

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1248 comments I read Thunder and Rain Thunder and Rain by Charles Martin . I really loved this book. It was kind of a hard read, touching on some really rough subjects, but the story was beautiful

Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
3 pts – is male

Genre:
3 pts – Romance

Bonus:
3 pts - Holy Humour Month
3 pts - Student Empowerment Week

Total: 17 points

message 29: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2793 comments Janice wrote: "Jannene wrote: "Also listed as a romance. Which should be used?."

You count all points that apply, just like you did for the cover and author. Add another 3 points to your score Jannene."

Thanks! I was worried that I was limited to just one.

message 30: by Pragya (last edited Apr 20, 2018 09:02AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments I read Sunbathing In The Rain: A Cheerful Book About Depression Sunbathing In The Rain A Cheerful Book About Depression by Gwyneth Lewis

Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
4 pts – Is female

Total-6

The gluestick is all mine. :p

message 31: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Doesn't that cover depict a rain storm, Pragya?

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I would say the clouds look a little stormy. One extra point still gives you the gluestick, Pragya, at least until someone snatches it away from you.

message 33: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Ooh thanks, Cherie and Janice. Post edited.

message 34: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments I read Encyclopaedia of Snow
Encyclopaedia of Snow by Sarah Emily Miano
I gave it 2 stars. If this is a gluestick contender that's ok, cos I struggled to finish and it probably deserves it ! Sorry. I'll get back to the point and see what it scores.

Author name is blue. 3 pts
Female author. 4 pts
Born in US. 1 pt
Character at school. 3 pts
Musical instruments include piano and violin. 3 pts
Total 14 pts
(More than I thought)

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2611 comments I read Let It Snow

Title: 0pts

Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
4 pts – Is female

Genre:
3 pts – Romance

Bonus Points: 0pts

Total Points: 12 points

message 36: by Cherie (last edited Apr 24, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I read/listened to
What Stands in a Storm: Three Days in the Worst Superstorm to Hit the South's Tornado Alley What Stands in a Storm Three Days in the Worst Superstorm to Hit the South's Tornado Alley by Kim Cross

Scoring
Cover: 1 pts – depicts a storm
Author: 4 pts – Is female
1 pts – was born and currently residing in the United States
Bonus 3 pts - college students were involved

Total Points = 9

updated 4/24 clr

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments Oh! We have a tie for the gluestick.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I had no idea, until I started looking at the criteria for the book. I thought there would be more but I really couldn't use any of the bonus points. I certainly never laughed. There were college students mentioned, but they did not feel like "characters" like in a novel. This was a non-fiction story. There were three students killed in a house when it collapsed on them. And another student who was the friend of the boy killed in the house. He had to call his friend's father to tell him that his son had died. I was bawling during that whole section.

Should I take the points, Janice.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I would take the points, Cherie. The criteria says, "If a character is a student..." I'll update the spreadsheet.

message 40: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Cherie wrote: "I had no idea, until I started looking at the criteria for the book. I thought there would be more but I really couldn't use any of the bonus points. I certainly never laughed. There were college s..."

Oh, Cherie. That sounds like a difficult read considering the emotions involved.

I faced the same difficulty during scoring. I read a memoir and the author did talk about her being a college student but it was for a very limited part of the book and hence I didn't think it was justified to take those points.

message 41: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Pragya wrote: "Oh, Cherie. That sounds like a difficult read considering the emotions involved..."

It was an emotional account, but it was very well done. I remember all of the news stories on TV from 2011. I was visiting my Grand Niece and her family in Tennesee about fourteen years ago and we were under tornado alert for two days. The sirens are very scary!

Looks like the glue stick is back to you.

message 42: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Janice wrote: "I would take the points, Cherie. The criteria says, "If a character is a student..." I'll update the spreadsheet."

I updated my posting, Janice.

message 43: by Silver (last edited Apr 25, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Silver | 467 comments I read Squall by Sean Costello Squall by Sean Costello

Title:
5 pts – One word only

Cover:
1 pts – depicts a storm

Author:
3 pts – is male

Total Points: 20

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1031 comments I read The Promise Of Rain The Promise Of Rain by Donna Milner

3 pts - The author's name is in blue
4 pts - Author is female
1 pt - Author born and resides in Canada
1 pt - Historical fiction
3 pts - Student: It was set over the summer break but the oldest son was taking night classes.

12 pts - Total

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments Badges have been posted. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

message 46: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Great badge Janice. I love it! Thank you.

message 47: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments Cool badge, Janice. Thanks.

message 48: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9786 comments Cool badge Janice! That's the first time I got the high svore one - now I need the glue stick to complete the collection 😉

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 06, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I posted yours on Rachel L's wall. But I see there are badges from last year's 2017 challenge but you weren't here then.

What we need is a unique identifier for you. I will do up a new wall with that name and get the badges straightened out.

ETA - change of plan, Rachel. The other Rachel L is no longer in the group and all her posts are gone. I deleted the previous badges, and we'll assign that thread to you.

Here is your wall. Please leave a message in it so your avatar is attached to the thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

message 50: by Cherie (last edited May 07, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Terrific badge, Janice! Thanks.