The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > Nominations open -- May 2018 group reads: Mystery, Crime and Thrillers from or set in Japan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8559 comments Mod
There is a LOT of good crime fiction either from Japanese authors or set in Japan -- so let's read a couple. I've found a goodreads list that shows several Japanese titles that have been translated into English:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

We've read
The Devotion of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino, so that will be off the list.

As always, please follow the simple rules below when making your nominations.

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I nominate Innocent Journey by Shizuko Natsuki since it was on my late father's bookshelf. So it must be good!!

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Kirsten wrote: "I nominate Innocent Journey by Shizuko Natsuki since it was on my late father's bookshelf. So it must be good!!"

That one's completely out of print, not available in e-reader format. Another title?

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) *so sad*

Will try again...

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Okay, how about Six Four which my library has a copy of?

message 6: by Nell (last edited Apr 01, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Nell The Salaryman's Wife by Sujata Massey

This mystery is set in Tokyo, though it's not on the list.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Nell wrote: "The Salaryman's Wife by Sujata Massey

This mystery is set in Tokyo, though it's not on the list."

I've been meaning to start that series as I'm thoroughly enjoying her new series set in 1920's Bombay.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have had Six Four on my TBR for awhile; unclear whether the message above relate to this book or the other boo.

message 9: by RJ - Slayer of Trolls (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:54PM) (new)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 447 comments I nominate A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler.

EDITED to add links. :)

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Randy wrote: "I nominate A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler

Sorry I'm on the mobile app so I can't add links :("

When on Earth will they fix that??

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 447 comments Kirsten wrote: "Randy wrote: "I nominate A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler

Sorry I'm on the mobile app so I can't add links :("

When on Earth will they fix that??"

No idea. :(

message 12: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments How about Out

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I'll start a recap post later this evening -- I'm in WA with my family at the moment so for the next few days I'll have sporadic attendance. But keep the nominations coming. I'll check in when I can.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Okay, how about Six Four which my library has a copy of?"

works for me!

message 17: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nell wrote: "The Salaryman's Wife by Sujata Massey

This mystery is set in Tokyo, though it's not on the list."

It's fine.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That helps!

message 19: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 645 comments Can I nominate Salvation of a Saint, same author as The Devotion of Suspect X? I've been wanting to read this for a while.

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That really looks good!

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 03, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

1. Six Four, by Hideo Yokoyama -- Kirsten
2. The Salaryman's Wife, by Sujata Massey -- Nell
3. A Clean Kill in Tokyo, by Barry Eisler -- Randy
4. Out, by Natsuo Kirino -- Gisela
5. The Tokyo Zodiac Murders, by Soji Shimada -- Carol
6. Salvation of a Saint, by Keigo Higashino -- Suzy
7. Shinju, by Laura Joh Rowland -- Chris
8. Confessions, by Kanae Minato -- Britney

who's next?

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments I'd like to nominate Shinju by Laura Joh Rowland. First in a series, set in 17th C Japan.

message 23: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments I nominate Confessions by Kanae Minato

message 24: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 03, 2018 06:29PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Nancy, I'm curious, did you know that the Everyone Has Read this but me group (the catch up book club) is also picking two Japanese books this month? I feel like I should find some Japanese music to listen to in May too.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) NancyJ wrote: "Nancy, I'm curious, did you know that the Everyone Has Read this but me group (the catch up book club) is also picking two Japanese books this month? I feel like I should find some Japanese music t..."

That's a group? Please post a link! Sounds interesting!!

message 26: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Nancy, I'm curious, did you know that the Everyone Has Read this but me group (the catch up book club) is also picking two Japanese books this month? I feel like I should find some Japanese music t..."

No, I did not know that. I love Japanese fiction so that's why I chose the topic.

message 27: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 04, 2018 01:39AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "That's a group? Please post a link!"

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

I don't think any of the nominated books are mysteries, though one choice is The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories which includes the story that inspired the classic Japanese movie Rashomon. If you'd be willing to have a short story as one of the mysteries in May, that would be a good one. The terms 'Rashomon effect' and 'Rashomon style' are quite relevant to crime investigation and mystery writing. The short story title was In a Grove, by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa. In a Grove. It can be found alone, or in anthologies with other stories.

message 28: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments NancyJ wrote: "Nancy, I'm curious, did you know that the Everyone Has Read this but me group (the catch up book club) is also picking two Japanese books this month? I feel like I should find some Japanese music t..."

I'm in that group - if the voting continues the way it's going it looks like the group will be reading 1Q84 and I Am a Cat. I'm not sure when I will get round to reading either, I'm so behind with my reading. Really looking forward to reading several books set in Japan as soon as I can but I'm not sure I will get round to any of them in May, sadly, so I won't vote here this time.

( If we were going to read a Keigo Higashino I've heard good things about A Midsummer's Equation (nominated for a Hugo) if someone else would like to nominate that?)

message 29: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Carolyn wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Nancy, I'm curious, did you know that the Everyone Has Read this but me group (the catch up book club) is also picking two Japanese books this month? I feel like I should find some J..."

It's too bad that some of these mysteries weren't nominated for that group. (I'll be opting out of the 1Q84 read for sure, I can't fit in a 925 page book with bad reviews.)

message 30: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovely time here in the Pacific NW; today the sun came out for the first time since Saturday.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13242 comments Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovely time here in the Pacific NW; today the..."

So glad you’re enjoying it. I haven’t been yet. Who needs sun? :)

message 32: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovely time here in the Pacific..."

Yes, sunlight and warmth can be overrated at times. On the 19th we're in SC so it will be like bing-bonging from one climate zone to another.

message 33: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 06, 2018 08:00PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

That sounds good. We had snow here again today.

message 34: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

Shhhhhh, it's a secret! :-)

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) T wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovely time here in the Pacific..."

Tell me about it! Checker last night said she was glad spring was here... now it's raining again!!!

message 36: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Kirsten wrote: "T wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovely time here in t..."

MONSOOOOOONNN!!!

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) T wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "T wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'll give everyone until Sunday to add any more books to the nominations list. I'll be home Tuesday and the poll will go up Wednesday.

We're having a lovel..."

Yeah, I blame that checker for this!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments It's a little chilly (for us) right now down here in SC, but we should have warmed up by the 19th.

(By "chilly" I mean 57 and on-and-off rain. We'll be about 10 degrees below normal today - we're supposed to be about 70.)

message 39: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5392 comments Mod
It was raining here this morning when the dogs and I went for our early morning walk. Haven't checked since.. lol

message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

we were going to take a ferry out of Seattle, but the rain closed us down.

message 41: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Nancy wrote: "we were going to take a ferry out of Seattle, but the rain closed us down."

But it stopped after the 30 min monsoon... :-)

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13242 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "It's a little chilly (for us) right now down here in SC, but we should have warmed up by the 19th.

(By "chilly" I mean 57 and on-and-off rain. We'll be about 10 degrees below normal today - we're ..."

We returned from Charleston yesterday. Even on Wednesday when it was 64, the sun was a-blazing most pleasantly. Thursday and Friday were high '60s/low 70s. -- most hospitable. Now I'm back in North Carolina constructing an ark.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments We're about 10 degrees below normal this week (about 60ish), and next week looks like we'll be about 10 degrees above (about 80ish).

Raining here, too. We could use it, though.

message 44: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1472 comments It's 31 now. There have been snow flurries off and on all day. Three days ago we lost power for 6 hours due to high winds(75 mph).

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13242 comments Thomas wrote: "It's 31 now. There have been snow flurries off and on all day. Three days ago we lost power for 6 hours due to high winds(75 mph)."

Ack! The horror. The horror.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments That's hurricane force - with snow. Oy.

message 47: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay -- we have 8 books (see Message #21 for the list) so I think that's a nice number to end with.

Poll up on Wednesday a.m. and nominations are now officially closed. Thanks everyone!

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13242 comments Nancy wrote: "Okay -- we have 8 books (see Message #21 for the list) so I think that's a nice number to end with.

Poll up on Wednesday a.m. and nominations are now officially closed. Thanks everyone!"

That’s an awesome and varied list. Yay!

message 49: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay, everyone, the poll is up and running. Go vote!

message 50: by Kimiko (new)

Kimiko | 60 comments Would you be so kind as to give us the link for the poll for May? Thank you !!

« previous 1