Deadly Divas Book Club discussion

The Secret Mother
This topic is about The Secret Mother
April 2018 - The Secret Mother > Let's Talk Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) In this section you are free to talk as many spoilers as you want - I look forward to discussing this book with you. I hope you all enjoy! Hugs, Lisa

Marnie Griffith | 4 comments I just finished this book. I can’t believe how easy it was to read. I enjoyed it. I have it 4 stars. The question I have tho is what happened to Sam. I know they mentioned it in the beginning but I must have glossed over it. And I wish they talked more about how Carly ended up in the attic.

Brenda Jordan (bkjordan) | 8 comments I figured out what happened about halfway through the book, but I still really enjoyed it. I like her writing style and I didn’t want to put it down. I liked Tessa and Ben and was satisfied with the ending of this book.

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments I agree Brenda....although I found it predictable I still really enjoyed the story!
I loved Ben-he was so caring and loyal to Tess
I really didn’t like her ex-husband at all !!!!

Rachel (theracheldays) | 20 comments I worked it out pretty quickly but definitely didn’t stop me enjoying the story. I loved Ben and happy they ended up together.

Addie Dehart | 27 comments Marnie wrote: "I just finished this book. I can’t believe how easy it was to read. I enjoyed it. I have it 4 stars. The question I have tho is what happened to Sam. I know they mentioned it in the beginning but I..."
Sam died of cancer. I didn't really care for this one. I found the writing to be too simplistic for my taste. I knew the conclusion about half way through it. I also felt zero sympathy for Tess and I feel bad about that. I should feel empathy for her as a mother but I thought she was kind of dumb and definitely whiny and lacking in backbone. She absolutely has a reason to be down but I just couldn't like her. Ben was the best part of the book by far.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Addie wrote: "Marnie wrote: "I just finished this book. I can’t believe how easy it was to read. I enjoyed it. I have it 4 stars. The question I have tho is what happened to Sam. I know they mentioned it in the ..."

oh noooo Addie! I'm gonna curl up in a corner and cry right now. LOL!

Addie Dehart | 27 comments Lisa judging by the goodreads reviews I’m definitely in the minority. It was definitely a quick read and I get why others would like it. It just didn’t mesh with my tastes.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Addie wrote: "Lisa judging by the goodreads reviews I’m definitely in the minority. It was definitely a quick read and I get why others would like it. It just didn’t mesh with my tastes."

I love reading books with you Addie! xoxo

message 10: by Ivy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ivy | 5 comments I’m in the minority with you. I just started Pretty Girls and it’s great.

Amanda I just finished The Secret Mother and I loved it 5 Stars. It was an easy read which I love. I got carried away into the story. I could not stand her husband. Nope. Scott was awful and very inconsiderate. Ben had it right when he said that Scott just wanted to make her seem crazy so he can lead a guilt free life. I would have done the told you so dance immediately because I am just immature like that lol. I definitely want to read more by this author in the future

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments So happy you enjoyed it Amanda

message 13: by Gaylene (last edited Apr 15, 2018 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaylene Peyatt | 14 comments I enjoyed The Secret Mother even though I guessed what happened as soon as they identified Fisher as a doctor. I was surprised when we were told that his wife didn't know.. Loved Ben......couldn't stand Scott. Wasn't a fan of Carly either. The author just published another book "The Child Next Door" and it is currently .99 on Amazon for Kindle......so of course I had to get it .

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth McCraw (betharina74) I really enjoyed this! It was a solid 4 stars. I kinda knew where things were headed, and I got a little aggravated that Tessa wouldn’t take up for herself with Scott, but I still enjoyed it and will read more by her!

Kimberly Rodriguez Just finished! It was a solid 4 stars for me. I predicted what happened but I really enjoyed the story and could not put this down. Excited for the live show!

Kerryn (RatherBeReading) (kerryn_ratherbereading) I just finished this book today on my lunch break and I really enjoyed it. It was really engaging and a super quick read.

I did guess what was going on pretty early on but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story.

I'm giving this a 4 star rating. While I enjoyed the book a lot I had questions at the end. Why was the housekeeper following Tessa around after Tessa handed Harry to the police? I could understand if she was maybe trying to explain things to Tessa but instead she was refusing to speak to Tessa. It was also never explained why it took Harry's father 4 days to report him missing. I could maybe understand (but probably not, lol) if he was concerned over the whole Tessa situation but he wouldn't have known what happened to Harry until he reported him missing. I also didn't buy into Harry's father keeping Carly locked in the attic, it didn't seem to fit. It was also never explained why Carly was letting herself into Tessa's house before the whole Harry incident even took place.

Overall an enjoyable thriller but a few unanswered questions for me.

Kimberly I started and finished this tonight... at first i wasn't to sure about it but the more i read the more i liked it. It was a 4 star read for me. I did guess what happened way before we found out but that's okay, I still really enjoyed it.

message 18: by Jodi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jodi | 5 comments It was a fast read. I agree with some of the other comments that once Harry’s “father” was identified as a doctor than all the pieces fell into place. I really thought there was going to be another twist with Scott being in on the baby switch due to him wanted to have the twins born at the hospital, taking the hospital records, being pretty unlikable, and finally showing up at Fisher’s door at the end.

The author did a good job at portraying Tessa as an unreliable narrator, by invoking doubt with the reader due to her mental state.

message 19: by Berna (last edited Apr 18, 2018 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Berna A solid three stars read for me. There are some things I liked and some did not.
I liked that it was a page turner and it was easy to read and understand. I enjoyed the first half of the book a lot and curious to know what would happen next.
I did not really agree with Tessa in her decisions but given the state of mind she is, I found it realistic.
On the other hand, the second half of the book did not have any surprises, I guessed almost everything right which was dissapointing.
The writing style was meeh, I felt like I was reading a young adult book at times.
Lastly, Ben annoyed me with his "extraordinary niceness and kindness". How could he be so sure, and not even doubt for one second, that Tessa was not guilty. I found it to be unrealistic.

Leigha (leighas_life) You bring up a twist I never considered. That would have made the whole book a lot darker.

I finished the book in like two sittings. I found it fast paced and easy to fly through. I didn't guess the twists, but maybe because I don't read thrillers that often.

I do wish some things would have been explained better; like why was Carly going into Tessa's house before the whole mess started? Why didn't Liz just tell Angela, "hey I want you to do this because Harry is Tessa's son and here is what my husband did. Call the cops when I die. I can't bear the drama, so do it after I'm gone. Make them do a DNA test!"

Jodi wrote: "It was a fast read. I agree with some of the other comments that once Harry’s “father” was identified as a doctor than all the pieces fell into place. I really thought there was going to be another..."

Kerryn (RatherBeReading) (kerryn_ratherbereading) Jodi wrote: "It was a fast read. I agree with some of the other comments that once Harry’s “father” was identified as a doctor than all the pieces fell into place. I really thought there was going to be another..."

A twist with Scott being in on it would have taken the book up another notch for me!

Heather (lynn6) | 11 comments I agree with most of you that it was enjoyable even though I predicted the ending pretty early on. I still gave it four stars because it was quick and fun to read. I do agree with Kerryn that I wish some things were explained better. I was wondering about all of the same things she mentioned above.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) I just finished reading The Secret Mother for the 2nd time and I still loved it just as much as I did last year. 2nd read is getting a 4.5 stars - I loved this books. I don't need over the top twists and don't mind finding out the twists early - this was so much fun and well written. See you all tomorrow night for my full thoughts. Hugs!

Kayla Calhoun | 8 comments Based on the past books chosen, I wasn’t anticipating this book being so psychological. I really enjoyed it. I was able to guess the twists, but I enjoyed the premise and how it wrapped up cleanly at the end. Sometimes we just need a book that finishes with everything neat and tidy.

Sarah Swann Hey everyone! I read The Secret Mother this last week and really enjoyed it! I’m giving it 4 Stars. The writing was good but I did figure things out a bit early. I wish there had been more tiny things revealed throughout so it would have kept me guessing. I felt bad for Tessa, but she also did whine a bit too much for me. I almost wish she was a more complex character that really made us guess if she was crazy or not. Loved Ben! He was wonderful. Scott was dumb and so was Carly. And I really wanted more of Harry. He was just there at the beginning and the end. Overall a good read!

☘ Erin K ☘ I just finished the book and thought it was OK. It was a fast, easy read with a decent premise. I found the writing to be a little simplistic and I generally don't like first person narrative. Just hearing every thought that goes through a persons head always makes me irritated with the person - they tend to have thoughts and make decisions that have no logic.

The writer tried to make you think that maybe this was an unreliable narrator, since that seems to be such a big trend in suspense novels since Gone Girl, but there really was no reason to think that Tess had taken Harry, even though she doubted herself a few times. I never once thought that maybe Tess had taken Harry.

I did figure out what had happened as soon as we knew Harry's father was an obstetrician. I did wonder if Scott was somehow in on it, though I couldn't think of a reason why unless there was money somehow involved. Scott's behavior made me think that was at least a possibility - he took the records, he tried to make Tess doubt herself, etc. He was at the very least, very unlikeable.

Like some others, I also was left with some unanswered questions. What was Fisher going to do with Carly? He wasn't a violent man but he tied her up in the attic? What was he going to do with her? I guess we were just supposed to see him as a man at the end of his rope and acting illogically. And what was the purpose of Carly letting herself into Tess's house before this all happened? Just a nosy neighbor?

Overall, it was a decent book but there are a lot of better ones out there.

☘ Erin K ☘ I'm really sorry that I missed the LIVE Chat. We went out to dinner with friends.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the one next month.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) I want to take a moment to thank you all for participating in this months book! Also, I would like say I'm sorry for the technical difficulties and having to change the live show to my youtube channel. Thank you for being understanding! Big Hugs! Lisa

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments You are worth the wait ...love you to pieces xo 😘