Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > SF & F Podcasts

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 460 comments Wasn't sure where to put this, but wondering if anyone listens to SF podcasts.

I'm new to podcasts (needed something to listen to while I walk). My son hooked me up with Podcast Addict. I ran through all the Lore podcasts (mysterious happenings), then went searching for something new. I am now hooked on Wolf 359.

The story takes place aboard a space station orbiting Wolf 359. There are only 4 characters to begin with--the commanding officer, the slack communications officer, the computer, and the doctor. It started out pretty basic, but then it got mysterious and scary. It's also funny. I've listened to about 20 or so episodes, and I'm really enjoying it. There are scientific experiments gone wrong, mutinies, conspiracies, etc. Like a good book, I can't wait for the next episode! Each episode is about 20-25 minutes so it's perfect for walks. Luckily, I've got a lot of episodes to go.

If you have a fave podcast (SF, Fantasy, or even Horror), let me know. I'll add them to my list.

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 29 comments Welcome to Nightvale.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2227 comments I'm not much for them, but 2 people have recommended the following to me.
https://jonathanstrahan.podbean.com/

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The only SF/F podcasts I listen to these days are the "short story mini-audiobook" types: Podcastle, Escape Pod, Clarkesworld Magazine & Lightspeed Magazine. (Links go to RSS feeds. More listed in Short Story Recommendation topic.)

I used to listen to SF/F discussion podcasts, back in the dark ages when podcasts were more a novelty & I had a daily commute to fill, but it's been a decade or more since . Most of them aren't very information-dense and it's hard to skip to parts of interest. (And the ones discussing movies & TV, if they do focus something I care about, are always in my spoiler zone since I'm usually months behind.)

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Jim wrote: "I'm not much for them, but 2 people have recommended the following to me.
https://jonathanstrahan.podbean.com/"

Coode Street Podcast is my go-to for a more academic/serious discussion on SFF. It is one of the finalists for best fancast in Hugo Awards this year.

A slightly more casual ones I listened to (and covering more subjects): Sword and Laser (also a Hugo nominee for this year) and Wired.com's Geek's Guide to the Galaxy.

I don't listen to story-based podcast since I enjoy conversations more. Other podcasts I listen to: Mugglecast (Harry Potter), A Podcast of Ice and Fire, Vassals of Kingsgrave, ID1OT (formerly The Nerdist podcast), Radio Westeros, History of Westeros.