Getting Off Podcast book club discussion

Our second book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Ellenberger (bergerrunner) | 22 comments Hi book club friends! The time has come to pick our second book to read as a group. I very much enjoyed A False Report as well as the discussion surrounding that book, so thanks to whoever suggested that one! Just like last time, I've randomly selected five books from our collective list of 34 books for us to vote on. The voting will be open for a week starting today, so on 4/8/18 we'll have a new book to read as a group.

The poll is located at the bottom of the home page, but here's a direct link to it: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

If you have any suggestions that you'd like to add to our list of potential books, you can add them to our google doc here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 2: by Ana María (new)

Ana María (amcorrea) | 19 comments Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for running this--I just voted in the second poll. But is it ok if I comment on A False Report later? I thought the discussion would be open for two months, and as things got started in March, I've still been waiting on my library hold and am finally next in line to receive it (it's for the ebook, as I live in South America).

Let me know if that's ok, but no worries if not! I'll just note that the change was made to pick a book a month. I'll still read it regardless. :)

Thanks and have a great week!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Can someone add criminal injustice Richard Firstman to the list

message 4: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Mastroianni (clauclauclaudia) | 7 comments I'm sure people can continue to talk about the older books. There are still people here who have read them, we just may not have as clear a memory of them later. :)

message 5: by Ana María (new)

Ana María (amcorrea) | 19 comments Thanks, Claudia! Yes, that makes sense. I just didn't get the memo about the change from one book every two months to a book a month. I really like the permanent threads here linked to this official book club page, and Matt has done a great job. Look forward to commenting as soon as I can read it. :)

Also, I LOVE that The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir is leading in the poll... It's one of the best books I've read in the past couple of years. (Also, loved hearing it praised by Rebecca Lavoie and Rabia Chaudry!) It's deeply thought-provoking and gut-wrenching at once...an amazing book.

message 6: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Mastroianni (clauclauclaudia) | 7 comments I don't think there has been a change. This will be 10 days short of 2 months. Maybe since there's not much discussion Matt moved things along?

message 7: by Ana María (new)

Ana María (amcorrea) | 19 comments I was thinking about the post that announced the first book (18 Feb.) when he said that the selection for the second book would begin on 26 April... But yes, I think you're right. I'll definitely try to be more with it next time!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 14 comments One thing that is nice about this format for the discussion is that everything people say is still there and can be read at any time. I read all the posts, and I am sure others do too, so yes, readers should continue to post their thoughts!

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt Ellenberger (bergerrunner) | 22 comments Sorry I've been MIA. Its been a busy week. Claudia, thats exactly it. I was thinking that everyone was finished with the book due to lack of action on the discussion board. Obviously, that was a bad assumption. Ana, I'd love if you added to the discussion once you get the book and I'm sure everyone else would get a ton out of it too. I don't know if you've read any of the comments/ questions on the book, but if you have they may draw your attention to things people have missed or add to the discussion in more detail than people previously have. If you haven't read the comments, then maybe things people have posted can answer your questions and contribute to your reading.

In any event, I think you reading the book after most other people have would be extremely informative and I'm looking forward to what you have to say about it. I'm sure it will be thought provoking and bring up things I, for one, didnt think of yet. I'm sure most readers will agree its a pretty quick read as well.

In any event, my plan is to post the book chosen here and on the facebook group tonight (assuming there are enough votes to decide a winner) and then give everyone a week to get their hands on the book, so you have some time.

message 10: by Ana María (new)

Ana María (amcorrea) | 19 comments Wonderful, thanks! This is a great and super practical platform for this. Yes, I read all of the discussions and will definitely add my thoughts.

Also, I nominated The Fact of a Body...it is AMAZING...disturbing and profound. So yeah, I'll be straight out of the gate with that one. :)

Have a fantastic week, everyone!

message 11: by Scot (new)

Scot Corzine | 1 comments Do we have a specific number of pages we're trying to do each week for discussion or is it just read as fast/slow as you want and post when you have an interesting thought/topic?

(Sorry, I'm new to the group)

message 12: by Ana María (new)

Ana María (amcorrea) | 19 comments Welcome, Scot! It's the latter--no schedule for posting or page number goals. :)