Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2018 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments June 2018 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (pub 1991, 562 pp).

message 4: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1509 comments I would like to nominate A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, 1987, 212 pages

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 820 comments I’ll second Bat-Cat’s nomination of The Thorns Birds by Colleen McCullough.

message 6: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you, Matt. :-)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I’ll second A Brief History of Time.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments I 2nd A brief history of time

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (pub 1991, 562 pp)."

I was just thinking about reading this, I'll second it :)

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Pink wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (pub 1991, 562 pp)."

I was just thinking about reading this, I'll second it :)"

I will also second it :)

message 11: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll nominate The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton, published 1904.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments Erin wrote: "Pink wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (pub 1991, 562 pp)."

..."

Pink wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (pub 1991, 562 pp)."

Thanks Pink and Erin :)

message 13: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1870 comments Francisca wrote: "I'll nominate The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton, published 1904."

I second The Napoleon of Notting Hill
The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton

message 14: by Zoe (new)

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I'll second The Thorn Birds

message 16: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you, Michele. :-)

message 17: by Jerome (last edited Apr 01, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Jerome (tnjed01) | 55 comments I nominate The Age of the Fish by Odon Von Horvath

message 18: by katie (new)

katie | 73 comments I nominate The Wreath by Sigrid Undset. I promised some people I would nominate this for June, and if it doesn't win the poll, we're going to do a Buddy Read in June.

message 19: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 553 comments Add my second for A Brief History of Time also.

message 20: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 50 comments I’ll second The Wreath.

message 21: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 125 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I nominate The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough."

Seconding :)

message 22: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you, Barbara. :-)

message 23: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I would like to nominate Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 130 comments I'll nominate Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

message 25: by Janet (new)

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I am withdrawing my second for A Brief History of Time and nominating A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

message 27: by Tammy (new)

message 28: by katie (new)

katie | 73 comments Chrissy wrote: "I’ll second The Wreath."

Thank you, Chrissy!

message 29: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1509 comments Tammy wrote: "I will nominate Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson."

" It is the story of a woman who is convinced ... that she is the only person left on earth. ... a series of irreverent meditations on everything and everybody from Brahms to sex to Heidegger to Helen of Troy. "

Wow! That sounds like a really strange book.

message 30: by Terris (last edited Apr 02, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Terris | 2437 comments I second Light in August.
(As much as I don't want to read it, I think I would get along better if it's a group read!) ;)

message 31: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Terris wrote: "I second Light in August.
(As much as I don't want to read it, I think I would get along better if it's a group read!) ;)"

Thanks Terris. I agree that Faulkner can be challenging. Group reads and Sparknotes have been very helpful for me when I read his books.

message 32: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2437 comments Janet wrote: "Terris wrote: "I second Light in August.
(As much as I don't want to read it, I think I would get along better if it's a group read!) ;)"

Thanks Terris. I agree that Faulkner can be c..."

Exactly! I need all the help I can get when I read him! ;)

message 33: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson I nominate Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino.

message 34: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I'll add a vote for Wild Swans - I read an abridged RD version years ago and really want to read the full text.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments Tonia wrote: "I'll add a vote for Wild Swans - I read an abridged RD version years ago and really want to read the full text."

Thanks, Tonia :)

message 36: by Brina (new)

Brina Wild Swans for me too :). It has been on my radar for awhile :)

message 37: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 553 comments I second Light in August.

message 38: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Zoe wrote: "I nominate Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin"

I second Giovanni's Room.

message 39: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Dave wrote: "I second Light in August."

Thanks Dave.

message 40: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I second Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather, published in 1931 and 229 pages.

message 41: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I'll second The Wreath

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments Brina wrote: "Wild Swans for me too :). It has been on my radar for awhile :)"

Thanks again Brina :)

message 43: by Dave (last edited Apr 03, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 553 comments Terris wrote: "Janet wrote: "Terris wrote: "I second Light in August.

Thanks Terris. I agree that Fau..."

Light in August is Faulkner's most accessible "A" list novel (which include The Sound and the Fury, Absolom, Absolom, and As I Lay Dying). I have read it twice and would recommend it to anyone as an introduction to Faulkner. It is an excellent story with excellent characterization told in pretty much a conventional narrative.

message 44: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "Tammy wrote: "I will nominate Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson."

" It is the story of a woman who is convinced ... that she is the only person left on earth. ....."

I don't know much about Wittgenstein's Mistress, but I do know that I've read two of his other books, Vanishing Point and Reader's Block, and I thought they were fascinating. Not for everyone, but they would make a heck of a conversation.

message 45: by Candi (last edited Apr 03, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Loretta wrote: "I second Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather, published in 1931 and 229 pages."

Thank you, Loretta :)

message 46: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Candi wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I second Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather, published in 1931 and 229 pages."

Thank you, Loretta :)"

My pleasure Candi! I love Willa Cather! 😊

message 47: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments She's one of my favorites, Loretta! Love her writing :)

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyyy) | 4 comments I'll second Light in August.

message 49: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Tracy wrote: "I'll second Light in August."

Thank you Tracy.

message 50: by WhoDakka (new)

WhoDakka | 4 comments Janet wrote: "I nominate Light in August by William Faulkner"
I second Light in August.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.