All About YA discussion

Book Talk - Series > The Lunar Chronicles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erin Lynn (last edited Mar 22, 2016 08:58PM) (new)

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
The series we'll be reading during the months of September, October, and November will be first three books in The Lunar Chronicles.

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer

Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

I've edited this post so it's ready to be added to Book Talk- Series when we're done with the Series Read. I've included all of the books in the series.

message 2: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "I'm really excited about starting this series."

I am too. I have wanted to read Cinder since it came out, but I just never did.

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1232 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "Angie wrote: "I'm really excited about starting this series."

I am too. I have wanted to read Cinder since it came out, but I just never did."

Same here!

message 4: by Erin Lynn (new)

Awesome. I'm glad the three of us are excited. I hope other people are too.

Erin wrote: "Awesome. I'm glad the three of us are excited. I hope other people are too."

I hope so too, I'll be sure to alert everyone in the newsletter I'll be writing up soon.

message 6: by Erin Lynn (new)

Robin wrote: "Erin wrote: "Awesome. I'm glad the three of us are excited. I hope other people are too."

I hope so too, I'll be sure to alert everyone in the newsletter I'll be writing up soon."

Awesome! I'll probably read the book before August, so I can be prepared to run the discussions and stuff, and then I'll go ahead and get the last two books. I know the third one is on sale at Target, but I got the hardcover of Cinder, and I need Cress to be a hardcover too. I'm so weird.

Angie wrote: "Let me know when you are writing it up so I can give you the birthdays for August to put in it."

Alright, I will be sure to tell you when I do.

Angie wrote: "No you aren't! I hate having my series in different forms (paperback/hardcover). I'm about to buy Divergent in HC because my other two books are hc. It drives me batty."

Same here.. It looks weird on my shelves.

message 9: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "No you aren't! I hate having my series in different forms (paperback/hardcover). I'm about to buy Divergent in HC because my other two books are hc. It drives me batty."

Robin wrote: "Angie wrote: "No you aren't! I hate having my series in different forms (paperback/hardcover). I'm about to buy Divergent in HC because my other two books are hc. It drives me batty."

Same here.. ..."

Thank goodness I'm not alone. I think all of my series all have matching forms and covers so far. And a lot of my paperback classics are all Wordsworth editions so I can keep them in the same area on my shelves.

I do need a new shelf though. Too many books are in baskets and ottomans. lol

Hahaha, I need a new shelf too. And, Angie, same goes for me when I visit book stores.. I go in there for a couple books and when I'm sitting in my car to leave, I realize I have no more money left.

message 11: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "I have a large bookcase. I have one shelf completely empty. I pretty much got rid of all the books that I knew I was never going to read and donated them. None of them were my young adult books. So..."

That is where I window shop. Their prices in store are so expensive, so I just look and glance at a few pages before going online or other stores to buy.

Angie wrote: "I have a barnes and noble card so I get free shipping with that. But their prices aren't that much different online/in store. Now you have to spend $35 to get free shipping at Amazon. My doctor tha..."

Plus with the Prime membership you get free two-day shipping, which is great cause then you don't have to wait

message 13: by Erin Lynn (new)

I read online that it's actually a ripoff for that two day shipping with Prime. The only people who really save are people who order like hundreds of things a year, so I cancelled my membership after the yearlong free trial was over.

It was nice though. But if you order over $35 worth of stuff, you get free standard shipping. That's still a pretty good deal to me.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I have been wanting to read the Lunar Chronicles for a little while now. I have felt like I am the last one to get on the band wagon.

message 15: by Erin Lynn (new)

Rachel wrote: "I have been wanting to read the Lunar Chronicles for a little while now. I have felt like I am the last one to get on the band wagon."

You're not. None of us Mods have read it. :)

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments Thanks that makes me feel better.

message 17: by Erin Lynn (new)

Rachel wrote: "Thanks that makes me feel better."

No problem. I hope it makes for a good three months of reading and discussing. It will actually be the first time I've done this with a group.

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Would like to join, but am seriously trying to reduce my mountain of unread books on my shelves so I can't go buy them :( I read Cinder this month! :-D

message 19: by Erin Lynn (new)

It's okay. You can comment for Cinder when we start up the discussion boards in September. And then just comment when you eventually get around to them.

Do you have a local library? You can always borrow instead of buy.

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I'm pretty sure the books are too new to be in Danish libraries :| But I'll join in the Cinder discussion:-)

message 21: by Erin Lynn (new)

Irene wrote: "I'm pretty sure the books are too new to be in Danish libraries :| But I'll join in the Cinder discussion:-)"

Oh. I'm sorry. You're more than welcome to do that. I'll be sure to let everyone know to hide their spoilers (if they accidentally post any).

message 22: by Erin Lynn (new)

I got my copy of Cinder today! I was really expecting a beat up copy from Book Outlet, but it is brand new, and perfect. Angie, you are going to make a monster out of me on that site! AHHHHHHHH.

Now I'm waiting for the other ones to get here from Amazon. I'm so excited for this!

message 23: by Erin Lynn (new)

I got the hardcover. I prefer hardcovers for some strange reason. I think I get it from my grandma, but I destroy pretty much every paperback that I read.

Nope. Haven't read it yet. I'll probably start a little early just do start some discussion questions and such.

It's so pretty!

It is very pretty! And I have a problem with Bookoutlet... Since they have really cheap books I can buy more books without spending a fortune. So it's really easy to get more books than you planned to get.

message 25: by Erin Lynn (new)

I know. I almost bought a bunch of books that I'd never heard of because they were so cheap.

Erin wrote: "I know. I almost bought a bunch of books that I'd never heard of because they were so cheap."

Exactly! I already don't have room on my shelves for more books, but when I see deals like that, I can't help myself.

When I shop on Bookoutlet, I have to give myself a book limit. On any other site, I have a spending limit.

message 27: by Erin Lynn (new)

Robin wrote: "Erin wrote: "I know. I almost bought a bunch of books that I'd never heard of because they were so cheap."

Exactly! I already don't have room on my shelves for more books, but when I see deals lik..."

I know what you mean. I have books stacked two deep on all of my shelves, and so many just sitting in storage crates and boxes. Plus all my teaching books are just chilling in my attic because I have no where to put them.

I should probably set a book limit on there if I continue to use that site. I probably will keep shopping there because of all the deals on hardcovers. Ugh. I love hardcovers.

message 28: by Adele (new)

Adele I've read Cinder and like the first page of Scarlet. I'm excited to talk about Cinder with everyone!

And oh my gosh. I know what you mean! A month back or so I had the opportunity to buy some books from the Bookoutlet and holllllyyyyyy I got like 20 books. O_O one or two of my books were kind of damaged. One of the books looks like it had been stepped on my a very dusty boot. I wiped it down with a Lysol wipe and most of it came off. And the other book is white so the mark on that book stands out even more, but I wiped that one down too so now the books look fine :)

message 29: by Erin Lynn (new)

Adele wrote: "I've read Cinder and like the first page of Scarlet. I'm excited to talk about Cinder with everyone!

And oh my gosh. I know what you mean! A month back or so I had the opportunity to buy some boo..."

I don't buy the Scratch and Dent books. I get annoyed when I get damaged books. I don't know why. lol

But I am probably going to check their site out again now. They've got a sale going on.

message 30: by Erin Lynn (new)

Friendly reminder that we start reading Cinder on September 1! Maybe it can be your Labor Day weekend read...

message 31: by Erin Lynn (new)

Hey, everyone! Just here to remind you that we start reading Cinder on September 1.

If you haven't picked it up but want to join in the group read, there's still time to order it or borrow it from your local library!

message 32: by Guy Vestal (last edited Sep 01, 2014 10:54AM) (new)

Guy Vestal  - Counter Culture Critic (DaddyRose) I just got here, but I can start Cinder on Sept. 5th.

:-)

message 33: by Erin Lynn (new)

Hey, everyone. I'm just giving you a heads up that this post will remain active throughout the entire Series Read, and after we complete Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, it'll be moved to Book Talk.

message 34: by Kitty-Lydia (new)

Kitty-Lydia Dye | 20 comments Just got Cinder, looking forward to the sci-fi slant on this classic fairytale :) although, does anyone else think the red shoe on the cover is more like Wizard of Oz than Cinderella?

message 35: by Guy Vestal (new)

Guy Vestal  - Counter Culture Critic (DaddyRose) Sans the sparkles, yes.

message 36: by Erin Lynn (new)

Kitty-Lydia wrote: "Just got Cinder, looking forward to the sci-fi slant on this classic fairytale :) although, does anyone else think the red shoe on the cover is more like Wizard of Oz than Cinderella?"

Right? lol

There is another cover with a silver shoe, and I like it so much better. The red shoe isn't bad, though. Just not very telling of a Cinderella story. I would have preferred a hand with a silk glove.

message 37: by Erin Lynn (new)

Hello, lovely members of All About YA. I'm just checking to get a (virtual) head count of who will be reading The Lunar Chronicles with us, so please reply to this if you are.

We are a week into September, so we are reading Cinder right now. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the Cinder discussion folder! :)

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Aguilera | 25 comments I have already read the entire Lunar Chronicles series. Love, wolves, cyborgs, princes, spaceships? How could I not have read them all. I'm still excited and willing to participate in these discussions.

message 39: by Erin Lynn (new)

Rebecca wrote: "I have already read the entire Lunar Chronicles series. Love, wolves, cyborgs, princes, spaceships? How could I not have read them all. I'm still excited and willing to participate in these disc..."

Awesome. We'd love to hear your input.

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess I've read Cinder, Scarlet, & Cress already. Cress by far is my favorite.

message 41: by Erin Lynn (new)

Jess♥ wrote: "I've read Cinder, Scarlet, & Cress already. Cress by far is my favorite."

I liked Cress the most too.

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Aguilera | 25 comments Scarlet is my favorite! I just love Wolf, what can I say? Bad boy vulnerable types are my thing.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I am currently more than half way through Scarlet. I am loving this even more than Cinder.

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Aguilera | 25 comments I agree. I really enjoyed Cinder, but Scarlet is actually my favorite from the series.

message 45: by Erin Lynn (new)

Just a heads up... We'll be starting Cress in a few days!

I hope everyone is enjoying Scarlet!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Cannot wait!

message 47: by Rachel (last edited Oct 28, 2014 11:50AM) (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I love Cress! It is my favorite so far in the series. I can't wait for Winter next year!

message 48: by Erin Lynn (new)

Rachel wrote: "I love Cress! It is my favorite so far in the series. I can't wait for Winter next year!"

Cress is my favorite too! It had the perfect balance of adventure, romance, happiness, and sadness.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments Is Winter the last book in this series? I thought it was the last one.
I agree with you.

message 50: by Erin Lynn (new)

Rachel wrote: "Is Winter the last book in this series? I thought it was the last one.
I agree with you."

I think it is. Fairest is being released early in the year, and then Winter comes out in late 2015.

« previous 1