Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2362 comments Mod
Do you pull April Fool's pranks?

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Apr 01, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

I'm not usually one for doing so, but one year the perfect opportunity arose.

I had gone to a local department store to buy a new handbag. While I waited for the sales clerk to finish with another customer I wandered the nearby jewelry counter. They were having a sale on costume rings and one caught my eye, so I bought it as well. Then I realized this was April 1st ...

When I got home I showed the ring to my husband.
Hubby: How much?
Me (softly): It was a really good sale.
Hubby: How much?!!!?
Me (normal tone): Don't you think it's lovely?
Hubby: HOW MUCH???!!!!
Me (somewhat sheepishly): nine ninety nine
Hubby (obviously upset): Seriously!?!
Me: You think 10 dollars was too much?

It was really a GOOD fake!

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 561 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I'm not usually one for doing so, but one year the perfect opportunity arose.

I had gone to a local department store to buy a new handbag. While I waited for the sales clerk to finish with another..."

Good one! :)

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 753 comments Mod
April 2, Monday: Do you enjoy gardening?

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "April 2, Monday: Do you enjoy gardening?"

Yes .... but I enjoy just looking at the lovely flowers more than the work required to achieve it!

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 387 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Do you pull April Fool's pranks?"

No. Can't think of anything to do.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 387 comments Leah wrote: "April 2, Monday: Do you enjoy gardening?"

No. I have a hard time getting up and down.

message 8: by Leah (new)

April 3, Tuesday: Do you think you have any unreasonable phobias?

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 2, Monday: Do you enjoy gardening?"

Sometimes..my daughter and I are planning on putting railroad ties down in front of our front porch and planting tomatoes and flowers. There is also this cool project we found where you paint bricks to look like books, so we'll put some of those in too.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 3, Tuesday: Do you think you have any unreasonable phobias?"

In my mind..no (spiders). In my husbands mind...yes.

message 11: by Leah (new)

April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?"

I understand Spanish pretty fluently; speak it but with limited vocabulary and rusty grammar

I can usually understand Italian, and even read rudimentary French (menus, museum placards, directions) .... mostly because I studied four years of Latin in high school and these are all romance languages.

message 13: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?"

None fluently. But I can speak 'caveman' Italian and can read a little in French. I know a little bit in Spanish, Latin and Hebrew.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?"

None. I took Spanish in high school and it didn't go well. I am unable to roll my Rs.

message 15: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 2, Monday: Do you enjoy gardening?"

Yes. But the older I get the harder it is to do.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 3, Tuesday: Do you think you have any unreasonable phobias?"

Yes. My husband thinks it's hilarious that I'm afraid to open those Pillsbury biscuit cans. I make him do it.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?"

No. One of the great regrets in my life is that I didn't take German in high school. Didn't think I would ever use then I went to work at a nursing home where, from time to time, there would be someone who wanted to speak German with someone.

message 18: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "April 4, Wednesday: Do you know any foreign languages?"

Ich Sprechen Deutsch. Took four years of German in high school and still use it occasionally with a best friend who is German and my high school German teacher (we're friends).

message 19: by Leah (new)

April 5, Thursday: Do you have any tattoos?

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "April 5, Thursday: Do you have any tattoos?"

Nope ...

message 21: by Leah (new)

April 6, Friday: Do you have any fun weekend plans?

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 5, Thursday: Do you have any tattoos?"

4 - roses around ankle, footprints around other ankle, arm band and Egyptian Ankh on arm, Goofy on upper chest.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 6, Friday: Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

Working...not looking forward to it. It's Mule Day weekend her in Columbia, TN and the Mule Train arrived yesterday. So much traffic!

message 24: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 5, Thursday: Do you have any tattoos?"

No.

message 25: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 6, Friday: Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

Well, we were going to my granddaughter's volleyball tournament today, but it is another snowstorm-y day in Minnesota. We are guessing by the time we finally get spring it is only going to last a month.

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, April 9: Where did you go the last time you traveled away from home?

Last time for me was in December when we drove down to Texas to see family for the holidays. Along the way we stopped for a few days in Oklahoma City, and then in Memphis TN on the way back.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, April 9: Where did you go the last time you traveled away from home?

5 years ago, for our 5 year wedding anniversary. Went to St. Louis.

message 28: by Leah (new)

April 10, Tuesday: What would your dream at-home library look like?

message 29: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, April 9: Where did you go the last time you traveled away from home?

Last time for me was in December when we drove down to Texas to see family for the holidays. Along the way we stopped f..."

For a funeral in Rochester, Minnesota.

message 30: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 10, Tuesday: What would your dream at-home library look like?"

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/3376996...

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, April 9: Where did you go the last time you traveled away from home?

My husband and I rented a cabin for 4 days in Gatlinburg, TN. Just the two of us in the woods. It was great!

message 32: by Leah (new)

April 11, Wednesday: Who is your favorite stand-up comedian?

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Great new avatar pic, Leah! (But I do miss our little dragon Paul ...)

Now back to our QoD ...
Leah wrote: "April 11, Wednesday: Who is your favorite stand-up comedian?"

I don't really follow too many. Still love Jay Leno, but lately we find ourselves obsessively tuning in to Steven Colbert.

message 34: by Leah (new)

April 13, Friday: Do you know CPR?

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 13, Friday: Do you know CPR?"

As a first responder and emergency medical dispatcher I have to know it, but I recommend everyone learn it. When I get a call and have to try to walk people through it it's so much easier when they already know the basics. Starting CPR as soon as possible saves so many lives.

message 36: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Melissa wrote: "Leah wrote: "April 13, Friday: Do you know CPR?"

As a first responder and emergency medical dispatcher I have to know it, but I recommend everyone learn it. When I get a call and have to try to wa..."

I've had the class many times but never had to use it so I always wonder if I have to use it if I will remember.

message 37: by Koren (last edited Apr 14, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 11, Wednesday: Who is your favorite stand-up comedian?"

I would say a toss up between George Carlin and Robin Williams. If I have to pick someone living I would say Bill Maher.

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Melissa wrote: "Leah wrote: "April 13, Friday: Do you know CPR?"..."

I know very basics ...

message 39: by Book Concierge (last edited Apr 15, 2018 05:41AM) (new)

Sunday, Apr 15: Happy Tax Day! Have you gotten your taxes done?

My husband keeps a pretty accurate record of our income/expenses / net worth ... updating constantly. He files our taxes just as soon as he receives all the paperwork (W-2s, 1099, etc) ... I think he filed by Feb 7 this year.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, Apr 15: Happy Tax Day! Have you gotten your taxes done?

I got ours done sometime in March.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Sunday, April 22: How do you keep your spot when reading? Bookmark? e-reader bookmark? Dog-eared pages?

I use bookmarks ... sometimes a nice one, sometimes a scrap of paper.

message 42: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, April 22: How do you keep your spot when reading? Bookmark? e-reader bookmark? Dog-eared pages?

First off, let me apologize for not posting any questions this week. Sick kid and then my husband's boss lost his house in a fire and been trying to help with that. Got caught up in life!

To answer the question - I use bookmarks. I love bookmarks, I collect them from all over the world. When it's my ereader, it keeps my place for me.

message 43: by Leah (new)

April 23, Tuesday: What foreign country would you like to visit?

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, April 22: How do you keep your spot when reading? Bookmark? e-reader bookmark? Dog-eared pages?

I use a bookmark and e-reader bookmark. The thought of dog-earring a page makes me cringe.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 23, Tuesday: What foreign country would you like to visit?"

Scotland is at the top of my list. Then Italy.

message 46: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 23, Tuesday: What foreign country would you like to visit?"

Australia.

message 47: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, April 22: How do you keep your spot when reading? Bookmark? e-reader bookmark? Dog-eared pages?

I use bookmarks ... sometimes a nice one, sometimes a scrap of paper."

Same as BC. Whatever is handy. But NEVER dog-ear a page.

message 48: by Leah (new)

April 27, Friday: Do you have any signed books? If so, by who?

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 814 comments Leah wrote: "April 27, Friday: Do you have any signed books? If so, by who?"

I have many. I get some from Books-A-Million and I get one every month from OwlCrate. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert and Quests for Glory by Soman Chainani are a few of them.

message 50: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 642 comments Leah wrote: "April 27, Friday: Do you have any signed books? If so, by who?"

I've had some in the past but gave them away. The only one I have right now is by Joe Bonsall of the Oak Ridge Boys and I didn't meet him. I bought it at a concert.

« previous 1