Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > April Challenge - I finished!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6309 comments Mod
This thread is to mark your completion of the April challenge for the prompt: "a book that involves a library or bookstore." You can join in with the group read of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please!

message 2: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 251 comments I read:
- A livraria dos Finais FelizesA Livraria dos Finais Felizes, by Katarina Bivald(5*), so I recommend. certainly I'll read more books about bookstores and/or libraries, because I love books, and books about books.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 720 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Author: Robin Sloan
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I think it's time I concede that books about books are not for me. I almost never like them. Maybe it's too familiar? Passages about hunting up a book in the stacks make me yawn. I do that five days a week.
Would you recommend? If I knew someone who loved books about books, yes. Not in a general sense though.

message 4: by AF (new)

AF | 345 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Author: by Robin Sloan
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I really enjoyed reading Camino Island by John Grisham earlier this year, but I didn't really enjoy this book. I'd have to consider each one individually. So my answer is a solid maybe.
Would you recommend? It was okay. I probably wouldn't recommend it though.

message 5: by Sara (last edited Apr 02, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Title: Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life
Author: Annie Spence
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I love books involving bookstores and libraries and will always seek out such books!
Would you recommend? Meh. I didn't love this book, but I know so many people who did. I think it's a perfect read for some so I would recommend people give it a try. If they don't love it after reading the first couple of letters then it may not be for them either.

message 6: by Luciana (new)

Luciana (kikichwan) | 4 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not?
I want to open my own bookstore, Mr Penumbra gave me the motivation to start buying books for reselling and save that money to either buy a franchise or start my own. I'd love to keep reading books about stores for inspiration for my own.
Would you recommend?
I loved every page of it, so yes, but only to people who really enjoy graphic design and programing :)

Cornerofmadness | 429 comments Title: A Murder for the Books
Author: Victoria Gilbert
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Since I've read three for this prompt already this year, and have three more on the pile by the bed I would say yes I absolutely will. I love books about books and since a lot of urban fantasy and mysteries use bookstores and libraries as a setting I'm sure I'll keep on reading them.
Would you recommend? Yes, this book was a good cozy mystery. I'll be looking for the next one in the series.

message 8: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 137 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Books about books are one of my favorite categories to read as I enjoy finding out about the different roles a book can have/play in a character's life or how other people approach literary pursuits.
Would you recommend? Probably not as I was left feeling unsatisfied after all the hype this one had gotten. The constant plugs for Google got annoying after awhile and problems were resolved too quickly; I prefer more tension in my main characters and their situations.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amaflynn) | 13 comments Title Midnight at the Bright Ideas BookstoreMidnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
Author Matthew Sullivan
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Yes, I love the setting, it is so full of promise. I always feel ready to go into a bookstore/library and look, so it just seems like a good place to start a story.
Would you recommend? Yes, it was a fast and engrossing read. The ending was a little unsatisfying, but still a good read.

message 10: by Gabi (new)

Gabi (eeclayton) | 30 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
I adore bookstores and libraries so if such a book comes along, I won't say no, but I don't see myself actively seeking out the topic.
Would you recommend?
Not really; I wasn't blown away.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 866 comments Title: The Invisible Library

Author: Genevieve Cogman

I think in general I don't seem to get on with books set in bookstores or libraries. I'm not sure why but I'll keep trying.

Would you recommend?
I did quite enjoy this one. It was a fun, fluffy, steampunk romp but in spite of the name, only the very beginning of the book was actually set in the library so I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is a stickler for the prompts.

message 12: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6309 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Title: The Invisible Library

I think in general I don't ..."

lalalalalaaaa I don't heeeaaarrrr you! because this is the book I'm planning to read for this prompt. And, in general, I do not love books about bookstores or libraries, so my choices are limited. It's got LIBRARY in the title, dammit! it will work!!!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Andersen (jessmary) | 16 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Yes, I'm a sucker for bookstore or library set books.

Would you recommend? I would recommend this book. I really enjoyed it. But don't go googling the book series mentioned or the typeface. They are made up for the book. that made me a little sad.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McClure | 1 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Absolutely. This is a type of book I generally love.
Would you recommend? No. I did not find the protagonist or the quest interesting. I loved all the friends and how the group interacted and I would have loved more of that. If you haven’t read your book for this prompt, I highly recommend The Storied Life of A.J. Filkry.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 318 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Yes -- I enjoy books with bookish settings/locations. I love spending time in bookstores and libraries, so conjuring up images of them takes me to my happy place. In fact, I read several books this year that would've fit for this prompt, including Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, Death Overdue, and The Plot Is Murder. The Devotion of Suspect X had some book-related scenes in it too.
Would you recommend? Yes. This was one of the books that I nominated for my book club during our last round of picks.

message 16: by John (new)

John | 79 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I honestly can't decide, this one was just OK for me. I probably wouldn't actively seek them out but if they were recommended then i'd probably give it a read.
Would you recommend? I don't know if I'd recommend this one or not. For me the book was just ok, I found myself drifting as I read and not able to keep my focus on what was going on. I think it had a good idea just maybe poor execution.

message 17: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 30 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Yes, if I feel I might like the other elements of the book too.
Would you recommend?
I would recommend it to people who are looking for a quick and easy read or anyone who might be intrigued by the way it bridges the gap between analog vs. digital books.

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy (convalian) | 6 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I enjoyed this book, but I may not enjoy the next. I would not rule this topic out though.
Would you recommend? It was a short book, I would recommend this to my friends, sure. I may look into the author's other novel.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Title: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Author: Gabrielle Zevin

I loved this book. Story was great and sweet.
I will definitely be looking to read more books set in libraries or bookstores. All the literary references were highly enjoyable and gave me more "to-read" ideas.
Highly recommend this book if you like books and heartwarming characters.

message 20: by Johanne (last edited Apr 11, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Yes most definitely! I love books about libraries and bookstores. I´m a librarian and I love books, so it´s a given.
Would you recommend? Yes. I liked this book, it was a light read and I wasn´t blown away, but I wasn´t expecting to either: It was good entertainment, and I appreciate that sometimes. I listened to it on audio, and I think it really works for that - too complex stories is difficult for me when it´s not visual.

Two of my favourite books involving libraries and bookstores are the series The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and I libri di Luca/ The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard. I also have fond memories of the library in Kafka on the Shore, though I don´t quite recall the exact role of it.

I´m also really proud of myself for reading a monthly challenge book (and finishing it) in that month.

message 21: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy | 126 comments I finished a few days ago.
Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? I have a few on my TBR, but they aren't a must read for me.
Why or why not? I'm more of a spy / thriller / mystery reader.
Would you recommend? Yes, depending on the person - interesting and yet odd.

message 22: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy | 126 comments Sarah wrote: "Title: The Invisible Library
It was a fun, fluffy, steampunk romp.."

I need to be enlightened. :-) What the heck is a steampunk novel?

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica (monica020) | 59 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
Would you read another bookstore book: Yes, I really liked this one. I liked listening about his method to solve the problem.
Would you reccomend: Definitely. Especially to someone who is burnt out on books of heavy subject matter like I was. This is the Perfect light feel good read I needed.

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Title: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Definitely. It was fun to read a book about people who love books as much as I do.
Would you recommend? Definitely. I picked it up this morning because I needed a little break from a very heavy book I was reading, expecting to just read a few chapters at a time. Then I finished it all today. I really, really enjoyed it.

message 25: by Fran (new)

Fran G | 37 comments I loved this books,! It’s one of my favorites from this years challenge

message 26: by Mike (last edited Apr 13, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments Title: You

Author: Caroline Kepnes

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Sure, but not because they are set in a bookstore or a library. I don't choose books based purely on the setting, usually.

Would you recommend? Yes! But only if you are the kind of person who doesn't mind being inside someone's twisted mind. And if you are not offended when terms like (view spoiler) or (view spoiler) unexpectedly appear.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 866 comments Cyndy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Title: The Invisible Library
It was a fun, fluffy, steampunk romp.."

I need to be enlightened. :-) What the heck is a steampu..."

It's an alternate reality genre where technology is all steam powered, usually in a Victorian-type setting.

Nadine wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Title: The Invisible Library

I think in ge..."

My thoughts exactly. If it is in the title it definitely works haha!

message 28: by Alison (new)

Alison | 6 comments Title: The Bookstore
Author: Deborah Meyler

Did I like it and would I recommend: I did not like the book and would not recommend it. I found a lot of the characters to be flat, and the main character was infuriating. I would, however, read a book about a library or bookstore again. That part of the story was enjoyable.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 43 comments Title: The Invisible Library

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? They are probably not a topic I will be seeking out. I enjoyed this book, but usually books about books are not my thing.
Would you recommend? Yes, I already have

message 30: by Angie (last edited Apr 16, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Angie | 28 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I would say so because I have some on my "to-read" list. But, other than that reason, I don't think I go searching for books just because they are in a library or a bookstore, I read books because the story appeals to me.
Would you recommend? I would recommend if you are interested in a light read that flirts with fantasy and borders between present realism leading to science fiction and has some old fashioned made up history in it.

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna Breen | 15 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Not necessarily. I did enjoy the bookstore setting for this one and all of the references throughout the book to other books. I really liked how he invented a fantasy trilogy and included it in the plot of the book. But I'm not sure that I would like all books set in a library or bookstore, it's more about liking the author probably.
Would you recommend? Yes, I have already recommended it to a couple of people. I really enjoyed reading it, it was a nice light but entertaining read which I really needed right now.

message 32: by Britany (last edited Apr 16, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Britany | 889 comments Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan
Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Absolutely! Who doesn't love books about books??

Would you recommend? Yes, I feel like this is an easy book to recommend to almost any reader. A bookish mystery adventure is the way to anybody's heart.

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) | 80 comments All the Beautiful Lies by Peter Swanson
Title: All the Beautiful Lies
Author: Peter Swanson
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? I don't think I would actively look for a book that involes a bookstore/library but I'm not opposed to reading about them.
Why or why not? It's fun when they mention books I've read, and sometimes I find new books I want to read.
Would you recommend? Definitely! I love Peter Swanson's books. Even when I think I've got it all figured out he manages to shock me with one last twist.

message 34: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Title:Mr Penumbras 24 Hour Book Store
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Yes Why or why not? I love books about books! I love when an author can capture the magic of being a reader in a book.
Would you recommend? Possibly. I liked Sourdough better and I’m not really sure where to classify it but there are definitely people to whom I’d recommend it.

message 35: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1201 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Yes, I love books about books and about people who love books. I already have a connection to them.

Would you recommend? I liked the book but didn't love it. I felt it was worth reading and would recommend it to those who like the same types of books that I do.

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan Bowder | 51 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I don't usually seek out a particular topic unless I have a prompt to fill. I tend to choose my books based on my interest, availability, and other people's reviews of books. I'm not opposed to reading about bookstores/libraries and have a few books in my TBR pile but am not actively seeking out the topic to put on my TBR list.

Would you recommend? I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

message 37: by Tania (new)

Tania | 44 comments Title: Notes from a Public Typewriter
Author: Michael Gustafson

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? I tried reading Letter to a Future Lover: Marginalia, Errata, Secrets, Inscriptions, and Other Ephemera Found in Libraries for this prompt and failed miserably. It was my first attempt reading a book on this topic and it was awfully boring. The one I ended up finishing for this prompt was amazing and although I highly recommend it, I will not be revisiting this topic unless it’s a prompt for a challenge.

message 38: by Aimee Dars (new)

Aimee Dars (aimeedars) | 100 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Author:Robin Sloan
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Yes, so far the books I've read, both fiction and fiction, on bookstores/libraries have been enjoyable.
Would you recommend? I would recommend this book. It wasn't deep or life-changing for me, but it was definitely fun!

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 24 comments I finished the April Challenge :)
Title:The Little Paris Bookshop
Author: Nina George
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again?
Yes, I love books about books!
Would you recommend? No, this story felt a bit over dramatic. I loved the audio, and the book references but the storyline just dragged on and on.

message 40: by Nerdy Panda (new)

Nerdy Panda (twobrokegirlswithbooks) (_readingpanda_) | 49 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? If the plot sounds interesting then sure
Would you recommend? Not really. I didn't care much for it.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments Forgot to update when I finished this one earlier in the week.

Title: Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life
Author: Annie Spence
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not?: I'm not sure I would actively seek them out, but I wouldn't be opposed either. I've generally loved the books I read that involve libraries, books, and bookstores.
Would you recommend? Yes. It was fun, and pretty unique concept.

message 42: by Jess (last edited Apr 30, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Just managed to finish this book within the month (phew it was a long one!)

Title: The Historian
Author: Elizabeth Kostova
Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? Perhaps. I liked this books because it involved lots of research and travelling to beautiful historic libraries and monasteries. I actually didn't realise how many libraries would feature in this book.(view spoiler) I would read something similar but I have no interest in cosy books about modern libraries or bookshops
Would you recommend? I would recommend to people who are interested in European history, who like rich gothic novels and who aren't put off by a lot of detail and a meandering plot.

message 43: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? I don't see out these books but I do love the topic.

Would you recommend? No

message 44: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (baronessekat) | 110 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Why or why not? actively seek out, no. But I do have quite a few books on my TBR list now because of this topic.

Would you recommend? I found the book just OK. (gave 3 out of 5 - nice middle of the road). I was left wanting by the ending but I think that was a me issue and not a book/writing/story issue

message 45: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 64 comments Title: The Library at Mount Char

Author: Scott Hawkins

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again?
Why or why not?
Yes. It find the topic interesting, and I like reading books about books/book-related things in general.

Would you recommend?
Yes. This book is very unique and darker than expected (in a good way). The Library in the book is not your typical library, but it is crucial to the plot and development of the characters.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (imbeni84) | 3 comments Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Are bookstores and/or libraries a topic you will seek out again? Absolutely.

Would you recommend? Absolutely. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was had just enough of a mystery to keep me interested without being overwhelmingly complicated.

message 47: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronstjohn) | 27 comments The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler and it was awesome. A porn bookstore is central to the plot.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.