Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Arthur Conan Doyle
This topic is about Arthur Conan Doyle
Archive Authors 2021 > 2018 April Author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:55AM) (new)

Lesle | 5347 comments Mod
Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles Crime Novel from 1902.
Dr. James Mortimer asks Sherlock Holmes for advice following the death of his friend, Sir Charles Baskerville. Sir Charles was found dead on the grounds of his Devonshire estate, Baskerville Hall. Mortimer now fears for Sir Charles's nephew and sole heir, Sir Henry Baskerville, who is the new master of Baskerville Hall. The death was attributed to a heart attack, but Mortimer is suspicious, because Sir Charles died with an expression of horror on his face, and Mortimer noticed "the footprints of a gigantic hound" nearby. The Baskerville family has supposedly been under a curse since the era of the English Civil War when ancestor Hugo Baskerville allegedly offered his soul to the devil for help in abducting a woman and was reportedly killed by a giant spectral hound. Sir Charles believed in the curse and was apparently fleeing from something in fright when he died. 256 pages

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2852

message 2: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

OR

The Sign of the Four (1890), also called The Sign of Four, is the second novel featuring Sherlock Holmes written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Doyle wrote four novels and 56 stories starring the fictional detective.

The story is set in 1888.[1] The Sign of the Four has a complex plot involving service in India, the Indian Rebellion of 1857, a stolen treasure, and a secret pact among four convicts ("the Four" of the title) and two corrupt prison guards. It presents the detective's drug habit and humanizes him in a way that had not been done in the preceding novel, A Study in Scarlet (1887). It also introduces Doctor Watson's future wife, Mary Morstan. 129 pages

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 822 comments I aim to read Hound of the Baskervilles & look forward to the discussions.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Pagh | 93 comments I've read both. I have to say I liked The Hound of the Baskervilles the best, as I found The Sign of the Four to drag on a bit - however the content of the latter is more significant to the Sherlock Holmes stories to come thereafter. I really liked the plot of The Hound.

message 5: by shannon (new)

shannon  Stubbs | 203 comments I've never read either. I'm looking forward to reading Hound of the Baskerville. First chapter has gotten my attention.

message 6: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Wonderful Shannon!

Happy Reading!!

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

"Really, Watson, you excel yourself," said Holmes

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8709 comments Mod
I enjoy the relationship between Holmes and Watson, and especially enjoy Watson's way of telling the stories.

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 822 comments I finished reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today. I enjoyed it, especially the descriptions of the moors. But I had expected Sherlock Holmes to have a more prominent role in the book. Yes, he provided solutions, but I didn’t feel he was really involved in the story.

message 10: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (new)

Piyangie | 826 comments Mod
This is my most loved Holmes novel of the four. The mystery is very intriguing and the Holmes's actions and deductions in unraveling the mystery are very clever.

message 11: by shannon (new)

shannon  Stubbs | 203 comments Pretty good story so far. The woman crying in the night and denying that it happens is kind of suspicious.

message 12: by shannon (last edited Apr 06, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

shannon  Stubbs | 203 comments Before I read this book i was under the impression that Watson was a bumbling detective. He was actually quite clever and a decent detective. I'm inspired to read more Sherlock Holmes stories. Especially if they are this good. Also, what was Dr Watson a doctor of?

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Habbie I think he was a G.P. previously working as a British army doctor in Afghanistan.

message 14: by Anne (last edited Apr 08, 2018 11:11AM) (new)

Anne Pagh | 93 comments Trisha wrote: "I finished reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today. I enjoyed it, especially the descriptions of the moors. But I had expected Sherlock Holmes to have a more prominent role in the book. Yes, he..."

In retrospect, I think that's why I like The Hound of the Baskervilles better of the two. Watson usually has the minor role and must often tolerate being belittled by Holmes, even if Holmes might not be aware of his lacking social skills (you wonder why Watson always includes these situations in his chronicles!) ☺️ In this story, Watson gets a more significant role and gets to show off his competence and wits.

message 15: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 822 comments Anne wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I finished reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today. I enjoyed it, especially the descriptions of the moors. But I had expected Sherlock Holmes to have a more prominent role in th..."

That’s interesting, Anne. I haven’t read any other books by the author so couldn’t compare. Though I will probably read others in the future.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1069 comments Anne wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I finished reading The Hound of the Baskervilles today. I enjoyed it, especially the descriptions of the moors. But I had expected Sherlock Holmes to have a more prominent role in th..."

That's a good point, Anne, about why Watson includes the situations where he is belittled by Holmes in the story. I sometimes forget he is the writer of the stories and is thus in control of the story!

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1069 comments I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles while on a train trip to San Antonio. Thus I read the book one chapter at a time each day after a day of touring and margaritas. Haha. I think that influenced my understanding of the book, to say the least!

I enjoyed The Sign of Four more than Hound. I think my expectations for Hound were higher also, so I felt let down. Anyway, a good novel by Doyle.

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I liked Sign of Four more than Hound and a Study in Scarlet.

message 19: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 20: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Perfect picture, Lesle!

message 21: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

I thought it was a great representation too!

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne Pagh | 93 comments The sleuths in action 🙂

message 23: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments I read The Hounds a couple of years ago and felt a lot like Trisha.

Trisha wrote: "But I had expected Sherlock Holmes to have a more prominent role in the book."

It was my first time reading Conan Doyle and any Sherlock story. I too missed Sherlock in the book. I was pretty disappointed when I realized Watson was going to take center stage with Sherlock being in a supporting role. Eventually I'll read another Sherlock story and see if I enjoy it more.