The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
It's April already. No foolin. So what are you enjoying this month?

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3507 comments Mod
I'm reading Soulless by Gail Carriger.

The runner-up in March Madness.

I finished Words of Radiance today. Great book :-)

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 482 comments New month, new book. I just started Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology this morning.

message 4: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments I just started Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron--the final Heartstrikers book! :'(

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I'm re-reading all of The Expanse, so my laser numbers are going way up in the year challenge.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Finished Chains of the Heretic and am starting some Hugo reading with The Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang, since I already had it on my Kindle.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1617 comments Finished with The Devourers. Probably the best book I read this year so far.

Also finished (very quickly) with Every Heart a Doorway. I am disappointed since it is so hyped. Was bored and disinterested with both story and characters.

Continuing with Fuzzy Nation and then Bob.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 252 comments I finished:
Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey and gave it 1 star, because I was unable to give it 0 stars, and
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin A Dance with Dragons by this guy George R.R. Martin and gave it 4 stars.

I am starting:

The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2) by Jack Vance The Eyes of the Overworld by Jack Vance and
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor. Also, I'm about a third of the way through
Armor by John Steakley Armor by John Steakley.

message 9: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Randy wrote: "I finished:
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey and gave it 1 star, because I was unable to give it 0 stars, and"

Genuinely amazed this has become a bestselling series. its the DaVinci Code of SF.

message 10: by Danielle (last edited Apr 01, 2018 07:05PM) (new)

Danielle | 16 comments I'm revisiting Dune in audio. Such a good read.

I'm mid- Home.

Started Leviathan Wakes last month, but I'm shelving it for now. I enjoy the television series, but couldn't commit to the book.

I'm hoping to read-along with S&L (sorta), by starting All These Worlds this month. I read the first two Bobiverse and loved them. Voted Bob all the way through the Madness.

Also, I cannot recommend enough listening to the Bobiverse. Ray Porter is one of my favorite narrators! I actually found Bob by searching for more Porter narration.

message 11: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments I started listing to We Are Legion (We Are Bob) as well, and I would have sworn I know the narrator from something else I'd listened to. But I just did a search on Ray Porter, and I come up with nothing in my Audible library. Oh well, found another good one.

message 12: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8299 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "I started listing to We Are Legion (We Are Bob) as well, and I would have sworn I know the narrator from something else I'd listened to. But I just did a search on Ray Porter, and I..."

Dad? Is that you?

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Started reading Soulless, and am still chugging through Red Country, which I am enjoying, but other, shorter books, keep taking priority in my reading pile.

message 14: by Alan (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:02AM) (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 137 comments Just finished recently-published "The Green Man's Heir" by Juliet E. McKenna. Will post a review later today. It's GOOD!

Edit: Posted - its here

Further edit: Attn Juliet McKenna: Who owns copyright on that cover image? I wanna carve it!

message 15: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments Trike wrote: " Dad? Is that you? "

Whoosh! Ok, that went over my head. Best I can come up with is a “Field of Dreams” reference? But I’m pretty sure I’m way off on that.

message 16: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments I finally finished Oathbringer last night... took forever.. but sooo worth it! Started this new book from a new author that was recommended to me: A Twist of Wyrd, The humor is fun and I'm really tearing through it-just what I needed after a big heavy Sanderson.

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments Well, for me, rereads of Soulless and We Are Legion (We Are Bob.) Those went fast. I also read the Polity books The Technician and The Engineer, Reconditioned. The Technician is a fairly interesting side-story of the Polity, about an alien race that gave up intelligence to avoid the effects of a destructive technology that attacked civilizations. The Engineer, Reconditioned is mostly early stories from Neal Asher, of uneven quality. There are some parts that led to much more interesting books, but mostly it was a slog.

Next up: Nostalgia re-read Worlds of the Imperium by Keith Laumer. An alternate-universe crosstime story. I have fond memories of it from decades back and read the series twice as I recall. Will definitely continue on, although the lack of the other stories in ebook format will be a difficulty.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Brendan wrote: "Randy wrote: "I finished:
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey and gave it 1 star, because I was unable to give it 0 stars, and"

Genuinely amazed this has become a bestselling series. its the DaVi..."

You realize Da Vinci Code was an enormous best-seller, right?

I love The Expanse series. Is it the best written stuff out there? No, but it is a solid, interesting story.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Just finished Beneath the Sugar Sky, probably will start The Belles next (We Are Legion has been shipped to my library but has not arrived yet)

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (3x5books) | 108 comments Delighted to finally be getting around to The Obelisk Gate.

message 21: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 317 comments I'm about 2/3 through the second Demon Cycle book in audio, and am reading a book I got through PageHabit called Wolves of Winter. Reading pace is about to drop to 0 for the next week, so we'll see how I do at picking them with back up.

Oh, and I still have a story or two in that Jack Vance Treasury I plan to finish someday...

message 22: by Trike (last edited Apr 02, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Trike | 8299 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Trike wrote: " Dad? Is that you? "

Whoosh! Ok, that went over my head. Best I can come up with is a “Field of Dreams” reference? But I’m pretty sure I’m way off on that."

He’s also an actor who said that line once. It was a super deep cut, so don’t feel bad about missing an extremely obscure reference.

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard | 99 comments Currently reading Elysiium Fire by Alastair Reynolds, Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett, and rereading an old Forgotten Realms novel, Shadowdale.

Recently finished Tombs of Arian by Ursula K Leguin, Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds, Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, and Persepolis Rising by James SA Corey.

message 24: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I'm reading Please Don't Be Waiting For Me by Todd Stadtman, a memoir/murder mystery set in the late '70s/early '80s San Francisco punk scene. It's good stuff.

Please Don't Be Waiting For Me by Todd Stadtman

message 25: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1307 comments Finished We Are Legion (We Are Bob) and For We Are Many and are now starting on All These Worlds and will follow up with Soulless. Fun times.

message 26: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments ^Shall we have a thread for Soulless? I think i'm'a start one up tonight if no one else does.

message 27: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^Shall we have a thread for Soulless? I think i'm'a start one up tonight if no one else does."

I also read Soulless and would love a thread.

message 28: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3507 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "John (Taloni) wrote: "^Shall we have a thread for Soulless? I think i'm'a start one up tonight if no one else does."

I also read Soulless and would love a thread."

It is an alt-pick this month. So it should have it's own section.

Start a thread and if Rob or the other mods don't do it before I finish work, I will add it to the bookshelf and make a Soulless section.

I have a few thoughts on the book. Some positive, some negative (Mostly positive)

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1137 comments Finished We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Loved it. Big thank you to the people who nominated and voted for this. I probably never would have got to it otherwise.
Starting The Moon Maze Game.

message 30: by Aaron (last edited Apr 03, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Aaron Nagy | 379 comments David wrote: "I just started Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron--the final Heartstrikers book! :'("

I enjoyed every moment of it, what a great final book to a great series.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (sevenacrebooks) | 2 comments Jessica wrote: "Just finished Beneath the Sugar Sky, probably will start The Belles next (We Are Legion has been shipped to my library but has not arrived yet)"

I loved Beneath the Sugar Sky and the rest of that series.

message 32: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I'm not clear if they decided to make Soulless an official alt pick (waiting to hear back), so I didn't add it to the shelf or make a section. I did make a thread and stickied it in this section.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments I hope they don't. Because principle. Clearly people are interested in it, make it an official pick later. The point of March Madness is "one" winner. Not one and one we read anyway. But it's not my club. I just have a goal for when life's not nuts to read all the picks as close to the actual time as possible. And life's not nuts right now. But I want more time for Oathbringer. Which I'm STILL reading. ;)

I'm continuing my non-SFF reading by reading Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life and am enjoying it so far. I've read a few books on the history of video games, but this is more the history of the culture. As I'm on my way to PAX East (will I see anybody there?), it feels "right" to read.

message 34: by Rob, Roberator (new)

terpkristin wrote: "Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life"

That one's on my list. I'll be curious to hear what you think. Enjoy PAX.

My January con in Vegas got cancelled. We're considering PAX South as an alternative. It's supposed to be the smallest of the US ones. I found the crowd at PAX West overwhelming at times, at least in the expo hall.

message 35: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments South is a lot of fun, it is smaller and reminds me of what East was when it was starting up. I highly recommend it (I went the first couple years but had to skip this year because of the launch). West is definitely insane, and East is approaching insanity. But I'm one to talk, as I'm an Enforcer, so I sign up for the pain...

message 36: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2782 comments Rob wrote: "I'm not clear if they decided to make Soulless an official alt pick.

..."

There can be only one!

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard | 99 comments The last alternate pick was the result of a tie, and it should be kept a rare and special thing. And I like the idea of an informal book that a bunch of us just decided we were also going to collectively read this month.

message 38: by Ryne (new)

Ryne | 68 comments I'm working on She Is the End the characters are great, some of the most fun and engaging I've read in a while.

message 39: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 317 comments terpkristin wrote: "As I'm on my way to PAX East (will I see anybody there?)"

I'll be there. Also an Enforcer :)

(Speaking of, I should probably get moving since I already slept through my yoga class. An alarm would have been helpful....)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished re-listening to the Bob trilogy over the weekend. Listening to Pacific fire and Dragon coast to round out the Daniel Blackland series. Finishing the Sword and Laser anthology on Kindle. Then I’m going to listen to The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan and start reading Soulless on the kindle.

I have to figure out how to do those special hyperlinks here using my phone.

message 41: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1307 comments Just finished Oryx and Crake★★★☆☆ in audiobook. Man that was a downer. Very well written hopeless dystopia, not going to read the rest of the series.

Attwood seems to have been watching Horizon's how my ways can the world end shows and shoving them all into one book. Zero hope and lots of despair. Life's too short for this.

message 42: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8299 comments Iain wrote: "Life's too short for this. ."

That’s what she said.

...seriously, she said it in like seven books.

message 43: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1307 comments Trike wrote: "Iain wrote: "Life's too short for this. ."

That’s what she said.

...seriously, she said it in like seven books."

Shheeessh, still not reading em

message 44: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments My year of Stephenson continues with Cryptonomicon.

message 45: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I finished Raven Stratagem which i liked more than the first book, I think. Started on Grey Sister which i am loving so far.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 252 comments Brendan wrote: "Randy wrote: "I finished:

Genuinely amazed this has become a bestselling series. its the DaVinci Code of SF."

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code far more than Leviathan Wakes, but I agree with your point.

message 47: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Dara wrote: "My year of Stephenson continues with Cryptonomicon."

Awesome!

message 48: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Rob wrote: "Dara wrote: "My year of Stephenson continues with Cryptonomicon."

Awesome!"

Yeah! I also have Reamde and The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer that I own. I've actually been buying the paperback versions to go on my shelf cause they're really nice.

message 49: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments Great choice. Do his books still come in the trade paperback size, or are they just regular paperback size? Either way, a good collection to have. I must admit I lent out my regular paperback size copy of Cryptonomicon soon after I finished it. I was just so excited to pass it on, and never got it back. For most books that isn't a big deal since I don't reread that much, but I ended up having to pick it up on a kindle sale, because I did feel the need for this book. Loved it just as much on the second read, but I did notice it was a bit more "of a time" after 15 years had passed.

message 50: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments I finished The Black Tides of Heaven, read The Red Threads of Fortune (it's another novella; and relatively short) and started Sarah Gailey's River of Teeth, yet another Hugo-nominated novella.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.