Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Art of War
This topic is about The Art of War
81 views
Old School Classics, Pre-1900 > The Art of War - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pink | 6556 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for April 2018.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of The Art of War by Sun Tzu

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for e-book and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Librivox

It's also available on the serial reader app for those who use it (5 issues).

Happy reading!


Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments I'm tempted enough to reread this that I'll be seeking out a physical copy at my next library sale.


message 3: by Melanti (last edited Apr 01, 2018 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melanti | 2386 comments For Audbile fans, this is in the Channels section of the app, under "Celebrity Voices Classic Stories", narrated by Aidan Gillen.

(It might be free for Prime subscribers in the US only.)


message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I wonder, are spoiler/non-spoiler threads necessary for non-fiction?


J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments I am joining this reading.


Pink | 6556 comments Michele wrote: "I wonder, are spoiler/non-spoiler threads necessary for non-fiction?"

Just answered on the other thread :) Spoilers may not be as necessary for this book but I'm going to keep both threads open for continuity and just incase people don't want to know too much.


Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I would be curious to know what translations others are reading. I am reading the English translation by Lionel Giles.


message 8: by Melanti (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melanti | 2386 comments I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he Audible edition I listened to was by Lionel Giles.

I understand a lot of editions have footnotes & commentary, but my edition didn't have that. It's actually a really short book without any added material.


Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments There was a really interesting discussion on this book on the BBC "In Our Time" podcast, released March 1st. They talked about how well this advice worked out in reality, which leaders historically had followed the text and the practicalities of following it word-for-word.


message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Melanti wrote: "I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he Audible edition I listened to was by Lionel Giles.

I understand a lot of editions have footnotes & commentary, but my edition didn't have that. It's actuall..."


Yes, it’s definitely quite short without notes and commentary! I believe that my edition contains translations of commentaries of historical importance, but that seems to be in separate chapters in a part two so I’ll probably be moving back and forth in my reading.

Tonia wrote: "There was a really interesting discussion on this book on the BBC "In Our Time" podcast, released March 1st. They talked about how well this advice worked out in reality, which leaders historically..."

That sounds very interesting! I will look for it on iTunes. :)


Jerome (tnjed01) | 55 comments Slate's Audio Book Club also had a podcast about this book, though the BBC podcast seems like a more historical evaluation.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcast...


message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments So far nothing about the wisdom of insulting your opponents on Twitter....


Marilyn | 708 comments Michele wrote: "So far nothing about the wisdom of insulting your opponents on Twitter...."

It's in the category of gongs and drums.


message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Marilyn wrote: "It's in the category of gongs and drums."

lol


message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Erin wrote: "Melanti wrote: "I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he Audible edition I listened to was by Lionel Giles.

I understand a lot of editions have footnotes & commentary, but my edition didn't have th..."


The commentary in my edition are almost entirely notes on the translation. There are a few historical illustrations and I do wish there were more as I find that quite interesting.


Laren I can't believe I have never read this before. I come across it a lot but never checked it out. I have an edition without notes so it is really short and I should finish quickly once I start. (Probably this weekend)


J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments Erin wrote: "I would be curious to know what translations others are reading. I am reading the English translation by Lionel Giles."

I just started, and I am reading Lionel Giles translation too. Since translations is also under copyright I guess that one is the best English translation in public domain. Fortunately Lionel Giles was not some random dude but a leading sinologist of his time.

Gutenberg also have one of the older ones:
1908 by Captain Calthrop
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44024/...
(That is one of those “translations” that convinced Lionel Giles to make a better).

I am reading the commented edition of Lionel Giles translation. (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/132) I did scan/skip most of the introduction. There are many fine lines in the commentary, like for instance:

In chapter II part 1
(view spoiler)

BTW the numbering at Project Gutenberg is not random. The Lionel Giles Art of War is book number 132 to be added.


message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "Erin wrote: "I would be curious to know what translations others are reading. I am reading the English translation by Lionel Giles."

I just started, and I am reading Lionel Giles translation too. ..."


I would NOT recommend the Calthrop translation! I am convinced that it is inaccurate, inelegant and in many cases, obliterates all meaning into vague nonsense. (A great many of the notes/commentary of Lionel Giles’ translation point out the fallacy of Calthrop’s — a bit much but also at times amusing!)


Elizabeth A.G. | 57 comments Just ordered the free Kindle store edition of The Art of War translated by Lionel Giles.


J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments You can download a free Kindle edition from Project Gutenberg (translation by Lionel Giles):

With into and comments:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/132

Without into and comments:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17405


message 21: by BAM (new) - rated it 4 stars

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I read this last year as part of my Catching up with the Classics challenge. What I was so enthusiastic about was reading his policies then thinking of a battle in history to which I could apply it. It’s so relevant


Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "You can download a free Kindle edition from Project Gutenberg."

I recently discovered Gutenberg has an app too - it's much easier to find things than the website.


message 23: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I just finished reading a free annotated ebook version and found that the annotations made the book much more interesting and informative.


back to top

40148

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Art of War (other topics)
The Art of War (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sun Tzu (other topics)