Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2018 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments June 2018 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for moderator to track changes.

5. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6. Nominations will remain open until the 14th April, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2437 comments I nominate The Bhagavad Gita by Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa (pub 400 BCE, 160 pp).

message 3: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Apr 01, 2018 01:37AM) (new)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments I nominate the classic sci-fi novel that creates a utopia for the year 2000, eerily accurate despite being published in 1888: Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2437 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I second The Bhagavad Gita"

Thanks J_BlueFlower :)

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 758 comments I’ll second Bat-Cat’s nomination of the Mill on the Floss by George Eliot.

message 10: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Thank you again, Matt. :-)

message 11: by Francisca (last edited Apr 01, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I nominate Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, first published in 1862 (and on the Finest Works of Fiction for those doing Bingo)

message 12: by Michele (last edited Apr 01, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 127 comments I'll nominate Little Men by Louisa May Alcott, first published in 1871

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I'll second Little Men by Louisa May Alcott, 329 pages.

message 14: by rachid (new)

rachid  idjiou | 11 comments The Golden Ass
by Apuleius

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I would like to nominate Hunger by Knut Hamsun (published 1890).

message 18: by Solange (new)

Solange | 54 comments Janet wrote: "I nominate The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy"

I'll second The Mayor of Casterbridge.

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Solange wrote: "Janet wrote: "I nominate The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy"

I'll second The Mayor of Casterbridge."

Thanks Solange.

message 20: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 743 comments Francisca wrote: "I nominate Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, first published in 1862 (and on the Finest Works of Fiction for those doing Bingo)"

I will second Fathers and Sons.

message 21: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson I nominate Aesop's Fables by Aesop.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments Michele wrote: "I'll second Looking Backward: 2000-1887."

Thanks, Michele! I am super interested in this title, and appreciate the 2nd. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 23: by Naomi's (new)

Naomi's Bookshelf | 10 comments I will second Little Men

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Naomi wrote: "I will second Little Men"

♥ ♥ ♥ One of my first fictional crushes was on Dan from this book!

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I nominate The Devil's Elixirs, 336 pages, published 1815.

message 26: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Francisca wrote: "I nominate Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, first published in 1862 (and on the Finest Works of Fiction for those doing Bingo)"

I second Fathers and Sons.

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3667 comments I second Aesop's Fables!

message 28: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate "The Man in the Iron Mask" by Alexandre Dumas

message 29: by Dave (last edited Apr 03, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 526 comments I second Hunger.

message 30: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson Kathleen wrote: "I second Aesop's Fables!"

Thanks!!!

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyyy) | 4 comments I'll second Hunger by Knut Hamsun.

message 32: by WhoDakka (new)

WhoDakka | 4 comments Francisca wrote: "I nominate Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, first published in 1862 (and on the Finest Works of Fiction for those doing Bingo)"
I second Fathers and Sons by Turgenev.

message 33: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments A quick summary -

Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev 1862, 244 pages
Francisca - Seconds- Candi, Nix (2)

Little Men by Louisa May Alcott 1871, 329 pages
Michele - Seconds- Loretta, Naomi (2)

Hunger by Knut Hamsun 1890, 134 pages
Erin - Seconds- Dave, Tracy (2)

The Bhagavad Gita by Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa 400 BC, 160 pages
Aubrey - Seconds- J_BlueFlower (1)

Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy 1888, 240 pages
Jennifer Lynn - Seconds- Michele (1)

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot 1860, 579 pages
Bat-Cat - Seconds- Matt (1)

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy 1886, 445 pages
Janet - Seconds- Solange (1)

Aesop's Fables by Aesop 560 BC, 306 pages
Thorkell - Seconds- Kathleen (1)

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs 1861, 176 pages
Zoe -

The Golden Ass by Apuleius 158 AD, 256 pages
rachid -

The Devil's Elixirs by E.T.A. Hoffmann 1815, 336 pages
Marina -

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas 1850, 570 pages
Ada -

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I'll also second The Bhagavad Gita.

message 35: by Carlo (new)

Carlo | 206 comments Melissa wrote: "I'll also second The Bhagavad Gita."

and me. sounds great. disappointed it didn't do well last month in the poll but deserves another go.

message 36: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1463 comments If for no other reason than the Oppenheimer-quote (about the first atomic bomb test) : I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, The Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2437 comments Carlo wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'll also second The Bhagavad Gita."

and me. sounds great. disappointed it didn't do well last month in the poll but deserves another go."

Melissa wrote: "I'll also second The Bhagavad Gita."

Thanks, Carlo and Melissa :)

Great quote, J_BlueFlower. I had forgotten about that particular tidbit.

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Drees | 8 comments I second the man in the iron mask. Also I would like to nominate the three musketeers ;)

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: ...“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Clearly I need to read this. Woah.

message 40: by Pink (last edited Apr 04, 2018 02:24AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Jennifer wrote: "I second the man in the iron mask. Also I would like to nominate the three musketeers ;)"

I'm afraid you can't do both, but we've already read The three Musketeers so it's ineligible in this category. Let me know if you still want to second The Man in the Iron Mask.

message 41: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments i would like to second Mill on the Floss

message 42: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments siriusedward wrote: "i would like to second Mill on the Floss"

Thank you, siriusedward!!! :-)

message 43: by Nente (new)

Nente | 774 comments I second The Devil's Elixirs.

message 44: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments you are welcome Batcat.

message 45: by Brina (new)

Brina I will add a second to Fathers and Sons

message 46: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I'll toss my second in for The Golden Ass. Sounds like a good one to me.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second "The Mill on the Floss"

message 48: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Pam wrote: "I'll second "The Mill on the Floss""

Thank you, Pam.

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie | 564 comments The Golden Ass sounds really good. I will second that.

message 50: by Dorotea (new)

Dorotea (dorotear) | 5 comments I second The Bhagavad Gita too.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.