Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > April Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2008 comments Mod
Are you excited that Spring has finally arrived? It's April. Share with us the romance you are listening to.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Listening to The Bourbon Kings The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward in order to prepare for our buddy listen.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4427 comments Mod
I’m continuing to listen to Edge of Darkness by Karen Rose.
Edge of Darkness (Romantic Suspense, #20; Cincinnati, #4) by Karen Rose

message 4: by L J (new)

L J | 366 comments Just found Hot and Badgered. I will now immerse myself in the world of Shelly Laurenston. For the next few hours if someone calls me I wish I were rude enough to answer "Sorry, I'm listening to a book. Call you back later."

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Haha. Don't you hate when that happens? I get so annoyed when I am immersed in a good book or tv program.

message 6: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments L J wrote: "Just found Hot and Badgered. I will now immerse myself in the world of Shelly Laurenston. For the next few hours if someone calls me I wish I were rude enough to answ..."

I started Hot and Badgered (The Honey Badgers, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Hot and Badgered yesterday. I don't read/listen to PNR that often, but I'm enjoying this story.

message 7: by L J (new)

L J | 366 comments The most fun read in some time. I had to pause Hot and Badgered because I was laughing so hard. Nice to see characters from earlier books. A couple of the times I had to pause book due to laughter were when old characters encountered new. I'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it. Shelly Laurenston is so good at making me laugh again and again I would re-read immediately but I have library books due next week.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Doing a comfort re-listen Maybe This Time Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

message 9: by L J (new)

L J | 366 comments Library OverDrive find: the old Hagen series by Kay Hooper 10 of the 11 available, 8 of those audio. Finished #1In Serena's Web, #2Raven On The Wing, #3Rafferty's Wife, #4Zach's Law and starting #5The Fall of Lucas Kendrick. Just the sort of upbeat read I wanted while going through backlog of email and unsubscribing from author emails that consist of announcing book, already known from GR, and urging me to join facebook group, which I'm not going to do.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

I finished The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward The Bourbon Kings on audio. The narrator didn't do a good job with the female voices. It took me out of the story once or twice. But I still look forward to the next book in the series.

I started Something About You Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1) by Julie James

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "I finished The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. WardThe Bourbon Kings on audio. The narrator didn't do a good job with the female voices. It took me out of the story once or twice. But..."

He was pretty bad with the females but overall his storytelling was solid (at least for me).

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Yes it was, Jonetta. I look forward to book 2.

message 13: by Fancy (new)

Fancy Gatita (fancygatita) | 3 comments Is The Bourbon Kings reader the same guy that does the other Black Dagger Brotherhood books? I am not a fan of his. I also just have a hard to with Ward though.

I just finished listening to A Quick Bite and basically the only reason I finished was because of the narrator.

Oh and then I finished Jarek, I thought that was okay but some of the tropes were just too much for me.

I just started Dragon Bound, I like it so far. Some slight repetition but nothing as bad as A Quick Bite or Fire In His Blood.

message 14: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Fancy wrote: "Is The Bourbon Kings reader the same guy that does the other Black Dagger Brotherhood books? I am not a fan of his. I also just have a hard to with Ward though.

I just finished listening to A Quic..."

I don't know about the other books but Dragon Bound was great. I would have read the rest of the series but I refuse to spend $9.00 on books from 2011. The publisher is nuts!

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Fancy wrote: "Is The Bourbon Kings reader the same guy that does the other Black Dagger Brotherhood books? I am not a fan of his. I also just have a hard to with Ward though.

I just finished listening to A Quic..."

Not too sure if that is the same narrator. When I was into the Black Dagger Brotherhood books, I read them.

message 16: by Fancy (new)

Fancy Gatita (fancygatita) | 3 comments I’m on mobile so I don’t know how to do quotes, but, ugh! $9 something for audiobooks! This is why I only listen to ones from my library. I’ve thought about Audible but it just feels like too much money. Plus I generally don’t relisten to books so I don’t want to own them.

I’ve really been liking Dragon Bound so far, it is very detailed story-wise and I’ve not guessed the ending yet so that’s always a plus to me.

message 17: by Fancy (new)

Fancy Gatita (fancygatita) | 3 comments Samantha, I just looked it up and they are not the same. Jim Frangione does BDB. Whenever he does women’s voices I just bite my lip to keep from laughing. I really think it may be better for some guys just not to try to do falsetto.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

I agree. This is why I struggle with male narrators.

message 19: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Samantha wrote: "I agree. This is why I struggle with male narrators."

A struggle BUT I'd much rather have a woman sounding a little manly than to have a man sound just like a girl. Especially when the narrator sounds like a 16 year old. Even today, some female narrators don't even try to sound even a little like a man, and I find that unbelievable. There's no performance they just read the book and make their money.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

So you prefer the male narrators, Trish?

I understand what you are saying. It is amazing that some narrators are not trying to perform at all.

I think as Fancy was mentioning that the falsetto being off is hard to listen to for me.

message 21: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Fancy wrote: "I’m on mobile so I don’t know how to do quotes, but, ugh! $9 something for audiobooks! This is why I only listen to ones from my library. I’ve thought about Audible but it just feels like too much ..."

Sorry Fancy, I was talking about the Amazon downloads being $9.00. Amazon says if you buy the book first you get the audible at a lessor price. So, $9.00 for the download and $7.49 for the audible is totally ridiculous for one book. Brand new books about shifters are coming out every day for $2.99, $3.99 or $4.99 why would I want to pay $8.99 for a book from 2011. I don't get these publishers at all.

message 22: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Samantha wrote: "So you prefer the male narrators, Trish?

I understand what you are saying. It is amazing that some narrators are not trying to perform at all.

I think as Fancy was mentioning that the falsetto b..."

I have to admit, Samantha, I do prefer men narrators. I mean you can't beat Napoleon Ryan. I could listen to him all day. He does women's voices that sound exactly like a women. The worst is Antony Ferguson, he doesn't even try to do a woman's voice. Sebastian York has one helluva sexy reading voice but he's another one who doesn't try. But for every few men who are bad at women's voices there are 25 women who suck at men's voices. That's just my opinion, though. I know most women listeners prefer women narrators but, LOL, I can't read about a 6'5" highlander who sounds like a 16 year old girl. I just can't.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

I love hearing about everyone's preference. I actually thought I was in the minority. No matter what, the narrator can make or break my experience listening to a book.

message 24: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Samantha wrote: "I love hearing about everyone's preference. I actually thought I was in the minority. No matter what, the narrator can make or break my experience listening to a book."

My feelings exactly, Samantha. I read the blurb of a book and think it sounds really good then I listen to the sample and think "Holy crap" what a horrible narrator. It's a shame really. But as long as Audible keep buying audios from Tantor or Brilliance or whomever why should the latter care if the narrator is good or bad. Which is stupid on Audibles part because the minute a bad review is posted about the narration the sales go down. I don't get the company's thinking about profits, unless they think they'll make their money back on another book. It's obvious Audible doesn't have someone who listens to the book before they buy it, or even part of the book so they can hear both the female and male parts as the narrator reads. Money, money, money, that's all it's about. Never mind about a listeners listening pleasure. I think that's why we listeners have our few favorites.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

These comments would be great to capture in the narrator threads. They won’t be captured permanently in this one. You may want to continue sharing there.

message 26: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

I finished listening to Edge of Darkness by Karen Rose, Romantic Suspense #20, and am sort of sad to be caught up in the series. Here’s my review.
Edge of Darkness (Romantic Suspense, #20; Cincinnati, #4) by Karen Rose

message 27: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Jonetta wrote: "These comments would be great to capture in the narrator threads. They won’t be captured permanently in this one. You may want to continue sharing there."

Where IS there, Jonetta?

message 28: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments Trish & Samantha,

It’s not Audible.com’s, Audiobook Stand(Brilliance Audio owned by Amazon), Or any other download book streamer of who the NARRATOR is.

It boils down the publisher. They are the skinflints in what happens too books and audiobooks.

Because of the new male narrator for David Baldacchi books I have dropped him from TO LISTEN TO LIST.

I would love to listen to Nora Roberts’s DARING TO DREAM series bu due to the narrator I can’t put myself through that torture.

Luckily Audio.com has a sample switch. Not download companies do.

message 29: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments I don’t care if the narrator is male or female. As long as they are okay I’m fine.

In the long run I prefer female narrators over male, because they are more balanced and do a better job in voicing male voices.

There are very few male narrators who do a good job in voicing female voices.

message 30: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Trish wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "These comments would be great to capture in the narrator threads. They won’t be captured permanently in this one. You may want to continue sharing there."

Where IS there, Jonetta?"

Two places. First, we have a folder for comments about specific narrators in our Narrator Threads folder. Second, we had another for general audio comments but it was inactive so I recreated it as Listening/Narrator Feedback.

We close this topic each month so that’s the reason for my suggestion.

message 31: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments I'm currently listening to Don't Tell by Karen Rose Don't Tell by Karen Rose, and I think I'm going to switch to ebook, the narration by Michael Ferraiuolo is awful. I'm disappointed because it's an older book that was recently released in audio format. I've loved listening to other Karen Rose novels so this one is a letdown.

On a positive note, I finished Wait for It by Mariana Zapata Wait for It by Mariana Zapata a few days ago and loved it. Fantastic slow burn romance!

message 32: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments I decided to put aside Don't Tell and picked up The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand. I liked most of the book but the ending felt rushed, I rated it 3.25 Stars.

Currently listening to Fisher's Light by Tara Sivec Fisher's Light by Tara Sivec.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "I decided to put aside Don't Tell and picked up The Blue Bistro by Elin HilderbrandThe Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand. I liked most of the book but the ending felt rus..."

Kathy, was it the narrator for Don't Tell that had you put the book down? If so, switch to an eBook or print because this is such a good book.

message 34: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments Jonetta wrote: "Kathy, was it the narrator for Don't Tell that had you put the book down? If so, switch to an eBook or print because this is such a good book. ..."

Yes, the narrator didn't work for me. His voice wasn't great for the male characters, and it was unbelievably bad for female voices. I'm definitely planning on finishing the book, I have it on loan from my local library. I love the plot so far, I'm a sucker for "woman on the run" story.

Thankfully I was able to listen with my Scribd membership so I didn't buy the audiobook. Next time I'll read a few more reviews before starting. A review from Audible for Don't Tell pretty much sums it up - "Over 15 hours of sheer torture". I only made it 3 hours and that was too much! :)

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "Yes, the narrator didn't work for me. His voice wasn't great for the male characters, and it was unbelievably bad for female voices. I'm definitely planning on finishing the book, I have it on loan from my local library. I love the plot so far, I'm a sucker for "woman on the run" story.

Thankfully I was able to listen with my Scribd membership so I didn't buy the audiobook. Next time I'll read a few more reviews before starting. A review from Audible for Don't Tell pretty much sums it up - "Over 15 hours of sheer torture". I only made it 3 hours and that was too much! :) ..."

That’s great to hear. I switched to audio format about #12 and every narrator was excellent. I noticed that around #7, Tavia Gilbert or Marguerite Gavin began narrating. Hillary Hubert also narrates some to date. I think you’d be pleased.

message 36: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 134 comments I'm giving two thumbs up to Sierra Simone's New Camelot Trilogy.
American Queen (New Camelot Trilogy, #1) by Sierra Simone American Prince (New Camelot Trilogy, #2) by Sierra Simone American King (New Camelot Trilogy, #3) by Sierra Simone .
The narrator did have a small quirk that was distracting. Guy Locke has a very enjoyable tone to his voice, but he gives a funny muted/non-hard "t" sound to any "t" in the middle of a word. Weird, but I was able to ignore, because the books were definitely so sexy and intense. You knew there was a twist coming and it did not disappoint.

message 37: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments Melanie♥ wrote: "I'm giving two thumbs up to Sierra Simone's New Camelot Trilogy.
American Queen (New Camelot Trilogy, #1) by Sierra SimoneAmerican Prince (New Camelot Trilogy, #2) by Sierra SimoneAmerican King (New Camelot Trilogy, #3) by Sierra Simone.
The narrator did have a s..."

I've heard great things about the trilogy and they are available at Scribd with their membership. Thanks for posting, I need to move American Queen to the top of my tbr list.

message 38: by L J (last edited Apr 16, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

L J | 366 comments Listening to Eve Langlais Kodiak Point and Bitten Point series as they become available. Looks like I have access to audios of most of them through hoopla or library. I read some two or three years ago but am re-reading them more in order. While each book can standalone there is an overall story arc. I have better access to Bitten Point than Kodiak Point so even though it's after Kodiak I may finish it first. Fun listening while doing spring cleaning.

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Angels' Share by J.R. Ward, The Bourbon Kings #2, and am enjoying this wild series. Here’s my review.
The Angels' Share (The Bourbon Kings, #2) by J.R. Ward

message 40: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments I finished and loved Infamous (Famous, #2) by Jenny Holiday

Next up for me in romances is Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

message 41: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 476 comments Finished On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1) by Kendra Elliot Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4) by Melinda Leigh Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2) by Melinda Leigh and Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3) by Kendra Elliot .

Listening to: The Most to Lose by Laura Landon by Laura Landon

message 42: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments Recently finished Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins. It was light on romance, but I liked the story and narration.

I finished Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11) by Robyn Carr Promise Canyon by Robyn Carr yesterday, I'm still loving this series. I especially liked the main character/hero in this one, Clay (the horse whisperer) was awesome.

message 43: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 476 comments The Most to Lose by Laura Landon The Most to Lose by Laura Landon

The plot and romance was nice, however the narration on this one was not that great.

message 44: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments Just finished listening to The Secret of Flirting (Sinful Suitors, #5) by Sabrina Jeffries by Sabrina Jeffries

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

I’m listening to Once Perfect by Cecy Robson, Shattered Past #1.
Once Perfect (Shattered Past, #1) by Cecy Robson

message 46: by L J (new)

L J | 366 comments I spent April trying to finish some series including romantic suspense, paranormal and science fiction romance. I was delighted to find many had become available in audio including romantic suspense from years ago. Indicates how popular audio is. Still have plenty on my to be finished series list but largely due audio the list is getting shorter.

message 47: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Once Perfect by Cecy Robson, Shattered Past #1, and was so pleasantly surprised at this complex book of substance. I reluctantly accepted it as a review request and now want to continue the series. Here’s my review.

I’m now listening to Lethal Lies by Rebecca Zanetti, Blood Brothers #2.
Once Perfect (Shattered Past, #1) by Cecy Robson Lethal Lies (Blood Brothers, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti

message 48: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 685 comments I finished Deadly Descent (Bagram Special Ops, #1) by Kaylea Cross Deadly Descent by Kaylea Cross over the weekend. Kaleo Griffith's narration for the female characters was really bad, I almost stopped listening. I liked the story, but I don't think I'd listen to another romance with him narrating. I might try a different genre, his voice is fantastic for male characters.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.