Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

The Love We Share Without Knowing
This topic is about The Love We Share Without Knowing
Monthly Reading: Discussion > April 2018 "The Love We Share Without Knowing" Discussion <No Spoilers>

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Mar 31, 2018 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Enjoy the book.

message 2: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Well, this book doesn't have an audio format that I could find and it seems pretty challenging to find a hard copy. You can get it as an ebook from Amazon for like $5 USD. I'm not a fan of ebooks, it is kind of challenging for me to read. So I went to my local library, Barnes & Noble, and Half Price Books with no luck in finding a copy. Finally I found it on Amazon for $14 USD. I should get it in a couple of days and it will probably take me half a year to read because I am super slow at reading...hence why I like audiobooks.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3552 comments Mod
I decided I would just read something else because I did not want to pay the $5 after a couple of other reads we had. I failed to find it at the library.

message 4: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I decided I would just read something else because I did not want to pay the $5 after a couple of other reads we had. I failed to find it at the library."

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it will be pretty good. I have a good feeling about this one.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Planning to start reading this one either tonight or tomorrow. I try my best to avoid reading both synopsis and reviews of books I plan to read but I have already heard good things about it.

They had me at Murakami-esque.

message 6: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3341 comments Mod
Just started it and so far (just 10 pages or so) it reminds Spirited Away anime by Miyazaki but with american teen as a protagonist

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
With risk of it becoming a spoiler for anyone, I still think it is alright to point out one small fact about the book.

It would appear that instead of it being a regular novel, it is rather a collection of intermingling stories that share characters and locations between each other.

The author seems to be pretty knowledgeable about Japan and its customs and so far his Japanese seems natural (luckily I lived there for years and happen to speak the language so I get my own kicks out of that ^_^) and the depiction of characters while off the mark, not entirely inaccurate.

I guess after I am done with the whole book I will try expanding on some of the hits and misses in his depiction of some of the characters.

message 8: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
You are free and clear of that even being close to a spoiler. It says as much in the summary of the book. That was one of the main reasons it got my attention. Man...you are making me wish it is tomorrow! My book was shipped and will be here tomorrow!

message 9: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryan wrote: "Man...you are making me wish it is tomorrow! My book was shipped and will be here tomorrow! "

Go digital - no more waiting, no problems with selves upon shelves of books to dust off :)

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Actually, Bryan, I agree with Art that you should get an e-reader. I have a bunch of older ones, but for you . . .

Maybe a Kindle Fire 7, only costs $49, you can run audible books on it, and your book that you just bought (for $14.99, I think you said) would only have been $4.99. There, you saved 10 bucks already!

And you can stream movies, though I don't

My husband loves his Kindle Fire 7. He has always been a slow reader, too. I don't know if he thinks it's easier than reading a book, but I can ask him. He also keeps music and stuff on it.

I like the feature that lets you make the print really big if you want to. It's nice in low light situations because you need not turn up the brightness, thus saving power. Also good if you are getting to that stage in life where you need reading glasses. You won't need them as much if you can make the font bigger. And you can choose between fonts--serif fonts like the one here are supposed to be easier to read.

I just bought a Kindle Fire 7 because my old, used Kindles keep having jack failures. The hardest thing was figuring out how to get Alexa to shut the f*** up!

I have no connection with Amazon except that I buy (too much) stuff there.

Sorry, more off-topic words than I thought I was gonna write . . .

message 11: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Man you guys a pitching a good buy. You both should work for Amazon. I've thought about getting a Kindle. My wife uses an e-reader, but goes through barnes and noble. the one question I had about the Kindle was can you turn off the automatic previews and constant sells pitching? My grandma has one and when I help her with it, it just annoys me on how many adds it has on it. If you buy it, you shouldn't have to deal with adds.

message 12: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryan wrote: "the one question I had about the Kindle was can you turn off the automatic previews and constant sells pitching?"

You can either buy a slightly or expensive one with no ads (same hardware!) or jailbreak it (very easy!) and even read epub and fb2 and other formats there.

Also check Kobo - they have a slightly larger screen IIRC.

I myself use Pocketbook but I ain't sure you'll need its functions and it costs more

and if you prefer tablet to e-reader - use it, there is no negative effect on eyes from modern LCDs

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "Bryan wrote: "the one question I had about the Kindle was can you turn off the automatic previews and constant sells pitching?"

You can either buy a slightly or expensive one with no ads (same har..."

What he and Kate said, e-books are the way to go, saves you a lot of trouble on all accounts. One thing to add though is that you might consider what other functions you want to have access to. Tablets are almost as good as laptops these days and are much easier to use, Samsung for instance has an insane line of tablets with great resolution and battery life. Still nothing beats Kindle on account of "reading time".

I have traveled a lot and trust me, buying the same book 6th time in a row (hard to ship your library from continent to continent) is a huge waste of money.

I read in bed, on trains, in a bus, standing in a queue. Nothing beats e-books in terms of accessibility.

message 14: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Alright Alright...I'll make sure Amazon knows the 3 of you talked me into getting a Kindle. Hopefully they will send you commission for the sale! lol

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "Alright Alright...I'll make sure Amazon knows the 3 of you talked me into getting a Kindle. Hopefully they will send you commission for the sale! lol"

Bah, we are just looking out for a fellow reader! While we are on topic, may I interest you in Kindle hard case? Premium Magnetic Leather Smart Case, only $9.99 and free shipment within a week!

Also check out our recommendations! People who purchased Kindle also bought:
Styluses for Kindle 7, Pouch Cases, Wedge Pillow, Doritos Multipack, Pony Stirrups.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon!

message 16: by Bryan, Village Idiot (last edited Apr 18, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Art wrote: "While we are on topic, may I interest you in Kindle hard case? Premium Magnetic Leather Smart Case, only $9.99 and free shipment within a week!

Also check out our recommendations! People who purchased Kindle also bought:
Styluses for Kindle 7, Pouch Cases, Wedge Pillow, Doritos Multipack, Pony Stirrups.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon! "

lol, nice!

message 17: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Apr 18, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

I asked my husband if the Kindle helped with his specific slow reading problem and he said, yes it does, but his problem is pretty specific and the reason it helps, ditto. (His eyes skip off the line he is reading. They don't track right. Nobody ever diagnosed this, and he was well into adulthood before he figured out everyone's reading wasn't like this.)

BUT the Kindle makes it easier for him to track the lines of text because he makes the font big. Therefore, there are fewer lines on a page to search through when his eyes do the mistracking thing, which means less time to get started again.

Probably not the problem you have.

message 18: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "Probably not the problem you have. "

Pretty close. That sounds like visual dyslexia. I was diagnosed in my last year of college with auditory and visual dyslexia. I'm decent at memorizing words I hear, but I'm crap at spelling. I'm also crap are new words as the phoenix to letter never stuck with me. But I'll give it a go. I need to actually read more to help me get better at it.

message 19: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you don't mind, I'd like to move discussion about ebook reading devices to a separate thread, which later can be accessed by anyone seeking this knowledge. I can describe pluses and minuses of many such devices and related services

message 20: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "If you don't mind, I'd like to move discussion about ebook reading devices to a separate thread, which later can be accessed by anyone seeking this knowledge. I can describe pluses and minuses of m..."

I was thinking the same thing. We did go off in a different direction than what this thread was made for, lol. I'll see about making a new thread.

message 21: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
At some point one of the stories gets in my opinion too flooded with Japonisms, those that lived there would get what the characters are talking about including all the jokes and place references but I am afraid for everyone else it might be either overwhelming or boring.

Still even though while reading one of the stories that felt kinda "meh" there was a sentence or two that made me sit up straight. Hope there will be more punch in the remainder of the book.

message 22: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art wrote: "At some point one of the stories gets in my opinion too flooded with Japonisms"

I agree. While I know some basic words like Kawaii, I miss the absence of translation.
I'm on the end of the second story. So far my impressions:
- this is magical realism, not fantasy or SF
- the author writes pretty good - it keeps me interested

message 23: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "I agree. While I know some basic words like Kawaii, I miss the absence of translation.
I'm on the end of..."

Oh, don't worry about not understanding the actual Japanese (writen in italics) because the word or a sentence that follows it is the actual translation.

message 24: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art wrote: "Oh, don't worry about not understanding the actual Japanese (writen in italics) because the word or a sentence that follows it is the actual translation. "

Not always. e.g., first story:
When I got back from my run that day, my sister, Liz, was watching one of those weird Japanese TV shows. The host kept saying, “Hontooo?” and the audience laughed whenever he said it, like he was the funniest guy ever. Liz laughed with them, as if she understood. Actually, she did understand. It was me who didn’t get it. Liz was only thirteen, but she’d spent the last three months before we moved studying Japanese, learning two of its three alphabets. When Mr. Fujita had come to pick us up at the airport, she’d been able to introduce herself in Japanese. I like my sister a lot, but sometimes I feel like she’s the one who should be getting ready to graduate and go to college, not me.
When she realized I was in the room, she looked up, still giggling, and said, “Konnichiwa, Elijah. Genki desu ka?”
“Okay,” I said, sighing. “I guess.”

I don't know what "Hontooo" means but I can guess that “Konnichiwa, Elijah. Genki desu ka?” is "hello Elijah, how are you?"

message 25: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 20, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Well, the first story is a bit of an exception because he is setting the atmosphere by underlining the main character's ignorance when it comes to speaking or understanding the language of the country he is living in. The omission of the translation is (imho) intentional and unique (almost) to this character.

message 26: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Forgot to add that "Hontooo!?" is an exaggerated way of saying "honto" which means "really". TV hosts on many programs tend to overdo it with their reaction to something that is happening (or being said) in order to get laughs or add intrigue to a mundane subject.

message 27: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 22, 2018 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Cheers Bryan for putting this book forward as our Monthly Read nomination. If it weren't for the group I would most likely have gone through other three - four hundred books before reading this one and would have regretted it greatly!

A fantastic read in many aspects, the author tackles some pretty heavy themes but not for a single moment it ever feels that it is done for the sake of shocking or grossing the reader out. There are bound to be many readers who will find themselves struggling with a grat share of "Japonology" introduced into the narrative and some of the things might get lost if not in translation itself but in immense culture barrier that still persists.

Don't get confused by my 4* rating, I loved the book through and through.

message 28: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art wrote: "Cheers Bryan for putting this book forward as our Monthly Read nomination. "

I second that. I hope to finish it today and discuss with the group

message 29: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Awesome, I had high hopes for this book when I read the summary about it. I just started it last night and so far I am enjoying it. I messed with the e-reader app and found a setting that works well with me. (I'll post more details about that in the e-reader thread).

Art, I do appreciate you translating some of the Japanese and some of the culture. I know a bit about Japan...mostly historical...but I don't know much about modern day Japan.

So anyone that knows about modern Japan, please feel free to guide us less knowledgeable, primarily myself!

message 30: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2542 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "Art, I do appreciate you translating some of the Japanese and some of the culture. I know a bit about Japan...mostly historical...but I don't know much about modern day Japan."

Feel free to ask me whenever you bump into a reference or a custom you don't get, not that there are too many of those in the book or anything.

The setting and the characters are for the most part far from being unrealistic, the author's done a great job in getting the reader acquainted with the culture and society of Japan, exposing some of its flaws.

This book could be "training wheel" of sorts for reading some Japanese authors such as Haruki Murakami who also excells at magical realism.

message 31: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
I'm still working on this one. But so far it has been pretty good.