Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Bitter Greens ★★★

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ladyslott (last edited Mar 31, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments This was my choice for the Listopia challenge of Books Based on Myths, Legends, Fairy Tales and Folk Tales
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Cross posted to the LIstopia Challenge Thread

Title: Bitter Greens
Author: Kate Forsyth

Rating: ★★★

Although there is a fairy tale in the book, it is also very much historical fiction, telling the story of Charlotte-Rose de la Force who wrote Persinette which was later adapted by the Brothers Grimm into the fairy tale Rapunzel.

I did like the book, but I was disappointed that the story of Rapunzel was less than 1/3 of the book. It was a very different story then the one I am familiar with but since it was a retelling I was okay with that.

The book intertwines the story of Charlotte, the witch Selena and Marguerite. Marguerite is taken from her parents by Selena who renames her Rapunzel after telling her that her parents sold her for a bunch of parsley which translates into Rapunzel.

The story is told by 3 women over a period of 200 years, from the point of view of a nun in a convent who tells the story to a new sister.

I have to say this book dragged a lot in many parts, especially the never-ending story of Charlotte in the court of Louis XIV. It also contained a lot of sexual content, which I wasn’t expecting in a fairy tale. And the story of Rapunzel, while central to the book was often given short shrift. I did like the ending, although I did figure out the ‘surprise’ long before the reveal.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments Ladyslott wrote: "This was my choice for the Listopia challenge of Books Based on Myths, Legends, Fairy Tales and Folk Tales
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Cross posted to the LIstopia Challenge Thread

T..."

I've heard a version of the story of the mother wanting to eat "rapunzul" or something similiar when she was pregnant. Looking it up online appears that it is the plant canola oil is made from. I've never heard of a fairy tale with hanky panky involved, but many have been changed to modern tastes.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I love learning the origins to these stories. Really makes you reconsider the "fairy tale"