Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

New members > Questions

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee | 22 comments I didn't see a thread for questions, so I started one if that's okay. I just have a question about how the nominations work. Looking through the threads, it seems you pick a book from a couple lists each month. How do you choose which list to read from next? When do nominations start? I looked through the lists and only saw a couple books crossed off. Is someone keeping up with the list, or do we have to search the bookshelf before nominating? I guess that's more than one question...sorry ;)

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 707 comments Mod
Hi Renee - questions are good! ;o)

nominations should start at the beginning of each month - I will be starting the May thread v.soon...

categories have got a bit out of whack recently, but I'm going to choose the two (of the seven) that it's been the longest time since they were last used and over the next 3-4 months establish a strict rotation...

and yes, just check the main group bookshelf before nominating (there are 7 sub-shelves to make it a bit easier)...

message 3: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments I am looking for a buddy read. As it happens a Guardian blessed title. Where may I post the offer w/o treading on rules and w a chance of finding a few, a precious few, or perhaps precocious few?

message 4: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments Posted in good faith that this is not out of order:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...
The 100 best novels: No 40 – Zuleika Dobson by (1911)

I think I would prefer his selected essays. The Guardian likes the book, but I am not sure they list it.
The Prince of Minor Writers: The Selected Essays

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 241 comments Oh, yeah. Sign me up!
Zuleika D. is great. Phred, you like G & S so much you are bound to like Max B.

message 6: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments I am not in a huge hurry to start. Once the space is set the schedule can be negotiated.
How and where does one go about setting up a buddy read in this group?

message 7: by Darren (last edited May 26, 2019 08:05AM) (new)

I have created a Buddy Reads folder and an initial thread for organising such:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

feel free to start a thread for the Beerbohm essays under there :o)

message 8: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments Darren wrote: "I have created a Buddy Reads folder and an initial thread for organising such:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

feel free to start a thread for the Beerbohm essa..."

Thank you
I will follow up shortly
From what I can see, Zuleika is not among the 100+ titles on the shelf.
I am going to propose it as something of a package deal, the Guardian title and the essays as a buddy/project read.
D'accord?
As in not out of accord w the group rules?

message 9: by Phrodrick (last edited Jan 04, 2020 10:09AM) (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments Having tripped across the name Katherine Anne Porter, Best known for Ship of Foolsand author of a shelf load of more titles, I wondered if her Pulitzer was of sufficient note to get anything by her onto The LIST.

The link given by this group for a searchable official list has no search function in any of its 4 pages. I may have missed it my screen being squeezed between a huge ad and a choice-less choice to force cookies onto my computer. There is one if you want to search the entire Guardian Fiction list.
With that in mind may I suggest that this page. It can be searched by word search in many browsers:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/200...

There may be other major subdivisions to the Guardian list, but who knows how may thousands are now listed in The List.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I don't see her anywhere on the list.

Here is a link to a checklist of the Guardian 1000. You can search for individual titles, but not by author:

https://www.listchallenges.com/guardi...

Ship of Fools is her only novel, according to Wikipedia.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phrodrick wrote: "Having tripped across the name Katherine Anne Porter, Best known for Ship of Fools and author of a shelf load of more titles, I wondered if her Pulitzer was of sufficient note to get a..."

I think of her as mainly an author of short stories.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I have a question - do you guys "count" a book from the list as read if you start it but abandon it before finishing? I keep flip-flopping on this issue! On one hand, I tried the book so it counts but on the other hand, I can't really say that I read it.

message 13: by Christopher (last edited Jan 04, 2020 11:39AM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 241 comments That would be quite the loophole, Leslie.
Call it the "dead to me" rule.

eta: what about books you've read but completely forgotten?

I could not pass a quiz on The Good Earth if it was for money.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Yeah, those books I know that I have read back in high school but don't really remember. I have counted those but I am also slowly going through the process of rereading them so that I feel less guilty about it!

message 15: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments Bryan wrote: "I don't see her anywhere on the list.

Here is a link to a checklist of the Guardian 1000. You can search for individual titles, but not by author:

https://www.listchallenges.com/guardi......"

Thanks, I thought I had seen that page before, but enough years ago to be unsure of its continued existence.

Now to place it somewhere I stand a chance of finding again (This is on me)

message 16: by Phrodrick (last edited Jan 04, 2020 12:01PM) (new)

Phrodrick | 158 comments I appreciate the help.
The point is that the group page points to a link that either cannot perform as advertised or is needlessly hard to use for the purpose given

My hope was that this being in the intro side of the house it might be monitored by some one with decision making authority.

This just seemed less intrusive than shipping out to all of the Moderators.
Besides were I wrong in my impression, it would not be the first time I missed the whereabouts of a hyperlink or search feature. A larger number of people tracking the page and someone could re direct my attention.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 446 comments I've not counted books I've started but not finished, because what's the cutoff? 50%? 25%? 2 pages ?

My quandry is that I never know whether to count one book in a series as having read it or having to read the whole lot.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 446 comments Books i know I've read but forgotten, I've counted but am rereading if i think I'll enjoy them a second time.

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "I've not counted books I've started but not finished, because what's the cutoff? 50%? 25%? 2 pages ?

My quandry is that I never know whether to count one book in a series as having read it or hav..."

On my computer list (as opposed to the List Challenge one), I don't count unfinished series but mark them as "in progress". On List Challenge, I count them if I have read more than half the books (such as the Rabbit Omnibus - I read 2 of the 3 so I marked it as read).

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments If I start a book but abandon it, I definitely count it. I don't consider it 'read' for goodreads (it goes on my DNF shelf), but for the sake of the list, I think it counts. I figure the purpose of the list is to introduce me to books I wouldn't normally have read, and to point out books that others have considered worthwhile. If I start it and it isn't to my taste, then I feel as though it's still satisfied the purpose of the list, and so I mark it off.

I don't count a series though unless I've read all of it. Speaking of which, are we still on for The Cat and the Racket?

message 21: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited Jan 04, 2020 01:26PM) (new)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Of course, I think my dnf's from the list are maybe two books, three at the most.

ETA: One. Orlando

message 22: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 241 comments Leslie wrote: "Phil wrote: "I've not counted books I've started but not finished, because what's the cutoff? 50%? 25%? 2 pages ?

My quandry is that I never know whether to count one book in a series as having r..."

Oh, well, that's different. I don't think you have to have read all, what, 120 tales in The Decameron if you've read "book length" selections.

I've heard the second part of Don Quixote is dull compared with the first part.

That goes double for Faust. A German told me long ago that everybody reads the first part, and nobody reads the second.

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Bryan wrote: "Speaking of which, are we still on for The Cat and the Racket?..."

Yes indeed!

message 24: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments Quick query - do any of you have any wintery or Christmassy recommendations from the list?

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (megan805) | 6 comments I know that I'm fairly new here, but is it possible to start the nomination/poll process for the next month's group read a little earlier than it has been (like start nominating now)? By the time a book is selected it is almost the first of the month and it takes a while to track down a copy of the book. Just a thought.

message 26: by Darren (last edited Mar 11, 2021 03:37AM) (new)

Hi Megan - thanks for making this point - you are absolutely right, and I do have the best intentions to start the nominations/polls earlier, but the "groundhog day" of lockdown keeps making me lose track of how fast the month is progressing!
I will put up proper nomination threads tomorrow, but in the meantime I can announce that the categories will be:
Comedy
War & Travel
so we can start thinking as of now!

[EDIT! oops! War & Travel, not Sci-Fi & Fantasy!]

message 27: by Megan (last edited Sep 01, 2021 01:17PM) (new)

Megan (megan805) | 6 comments Hi, I am asking again if we could please start the nomination process earlier so it isn't a crunch at to pick a book before the first. If nominations were opened at the beginning of the month, a book could be chosen by mid-month allowing people a couple of weeks to locate a copy and plan their reading accordingly. Thus, I am suggesting that the October nominations be started ASAP.

I understand that a lot of work goes into moderating (which I'm sure we all appreciate). However, I think starting earlier will allow a more leisurely pace for selecting a book which will eliminate the stress of the mods at the end of the month when we've run out of time.

message 28: by Darren (new)

you're right Megan that the nominations have been slipping
also I notice that all 4 of the nomos for Sci-Fi & Fantasy this month are pretty long
so I propose that we:
miss out selecting more books for October
(i.e. the September books can be read up til the end of October)
then at the beginning of October we'll do November nominations/polls to finish no later than 15th
then make a determined effort to stay in that pattern going forward...

message 29: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments @Darren - sounds good. When will the final decision on the September/October books be?

message 30: by Darren (new)

The September polls finish at 11:59pm PDT on Saturday!

message 31: by Phil (last edited Sep 03, 2021 03:44AM) (new)

Phil (lanark) | 446 comments This plan sounds a really good one. Thanks for all your hard work keeping this group chugging along Daren. I know that it's not always stated often enough, but (taking the liberty to speak on everyone else's behalf) we all massively appreciate the efforts you put in

message 32: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 241 comments Phil wrote: "This plan sounds a really good one. Thanks for all your hard work keeping this group chugging along Daren. I know that it's not always stated often enough, but (taking the liberty to speak on every..."

Dittoes

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan (megan805) | 6 comments Thanks, Darren. I think that is a good plan.

message 34: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments Yes definitely a huge thank you Darren :-)

message 35: by Terris (new)

Terris | 43 comments Yes, thanks, Darren, for all your hard work! :)