Friday's Child
This topic is about Friday's Child
Group Reads > Friday's Child 2018 Read Spoilers Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2597 comments Mod
Spoilers welcome here!

What did you think of the book?

Belinda | 220 comments Hooray! April is here and your reading it. I love it. Its my third favourite after black sheep and sprig muslin. I believe it was one of GH's favourites as well. Isn't it funny that her war time novels were some of her lightest and fluffiest? I think because I love Jane Austen so much is why I love GH's books when she gives flight to her ironic whit and has a cast of silly and crazy characters for her to bounce off. This book is the one where male friendship really shines for me, wonderful george, the inimitable ferdy, even sherry in his own brusque, selfish but ultimate kind way is great. Apparently characters like Sherry had been - Cedric Brandon in the Corinthian and Viscount Winwood in the Convenient Marriage. Overall the three foolish but endearing friends make this book for me.

message 3: by Belinda (last edited Apr 01, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Belinda | 220 comments I'm going to have to post in spoilers thread. I just finished chapter 1 and found it masterful. It sets up the whole story and a lot of the characters - how Sherry really liked Hero the best as a child. It also makes you like Sherry - he is spoilt, good looking and selfish BUT he stands up to his parents - the scene with his mother and uncle are hilarious. He and Isabella are both compulsive truth tellers - so you know you are going to like them both ultimately. Thats the thing about GH - she always goes for moral superiority and humour above all else as the most worthy of characteristics in someone. Sherry was even honest with Isabella - half is reason is he needs access to his fortune. There was a phrase 'then Sherry's humour asserted itself' - we know we are going to like him. Also the way Isabella is a shrewd judge of character and really told Sherry what was what - she read him like a book and recounted their childhood with utter frankness. I like how she and sherry end up brawling like children - it shows they aren't suited and have really know each other their whole lives. I like how Isabella - like a sister/cousin would end up talking about all Sherry's misdemeanours - the gambling and the women. How that really shakes Sherry because he realises (only when repeated back to him) how he probably is a bit excessive but he has dismissed it in his mind. Some of his high jinks are childish - the scraping 7 carriages in a row is real 19 year old/20 year old stuff.I love how Isabella's father as a character even though he only appears for two seconds ' he suggested vaguely, and not very hopefully , that his lordship had better speak to Isabella himself. 'For I'm sure I don't know, Anthony' he had said, looking doubtfully at the Viscount. ' There's no saying what may be in their heads, no saying at all!'. Isabella's mother is a treat of world wisdom. Then comes along Sherry's own mother and uncle - both of them peaches of creation. 'I am sure I do not know what would become of me if I had not my good brother to support me in my lonely state' she said, in the faint complaining tone which so admirably concealed a constitution of iron and a strong determination to have her own way'. Brilliant.
You pick up Sherry is not very 'bookish' but he is so comfortable with that its funny - when his uncle scolds him not to forget his grammar he says 'never knew any'. You also have to love the way Sherry is so openly brutal to his uncle. 'You here' and as soon as he comes into his inheritance he would throw him out the window!. Its so deliciously ridiculous that the uncle smilingly ignores all these insults and continues to sponge off his sister and pretend to guide Sherry whom is obviously wild to a fault apart from being extremely wealthy. Sherry's interaction with is mother is brilliant too - she pretends to be failing away with ill health - although Sherry called her bluff on that and reminded her she kept saying to his father she was at death's door but she wasn't. She is having hysterics at him and it just winds him up further and further. You get the feeling he is a hot head and the pinnacle of the chapter he not only got rejected by Isabella but wound up by his hysterical mother and creepy freeloading uncle whom preaches that he swears to marry the first woman he meets. Sheer brilliance. Sherry reminds me of Prince Phillip in a way - he is so blunt that he is sometimes funny. Prince Phillip was in the navy for years however and all Sherry has done is hedonistically enjoyed his tremendous wealth and privilege. There is no suggestion he is bored of this and has become cynical of it - he just needs the money to keep flowing so he can keep having fun with his buddies. I think the only person that could have kept Sherry in line was his dad so its a shame he passed on a while back. He would possibly be the only male figure he would respect.

Belinda | 220 comments Chapter 2 bits I enjoyed. The viscounts mother was 'only revived by the reflection that the Viscount was no longer present to be chastened by the sight of his mother suffering from strong hysterics'. Delicious. Character clues about Sherry - a tiger would require an iron nerve to drive out with him in one of his fits, since these attached him with alarming frequency. Yes we get the point he is a hot head. His tiger Jason never having encountered even such careless good nature...The Viscount was a good-natured young man and whenever he though of Miss Wantage, which was not often, it was with mild affection. Yes we are repeatedly told he has a good nature and careless and fairly thoughtless for anyone except himself. We see quite clearly he is spoilt and selfish and that Hero is used to pandering to this. 'I'm damned if I'll spoil the breeches for you or anyone else Hero!'. Interestingly how he treated Hero as a child is how he would treat her now - he bullied her, tyrannised over her, lost his temper with her, boxed her ears (!), forced her to engage in various sports and pastimes which terrified her but he permitted her to trot at his heels and allowed no one else to tease or ill-treat her. Is that how he would treat one of his pets? Hence not so silly he called her 'kitten' at first like a pet. On Hero becoming a governess - 'Well I do[object], in fact I won't have it! You will have to think of something else. How dictatorial that he just makes a pronouncement and everyone has to obey his orders. He is used to command. How he turned glueing the Bassenthwaites pew into Hero's misdemeanour as a child and not his own. You get the view he was fairly spoilt as a child. Hero clearly worships him saying his isn't of unsteady character and libertine propensities - in short she is a sport and not 'heartless baggage' like Isabella. Hero is a gullible and innocent 17 to his 23 years of age.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4244 comments Mod
Ferdy talks about a marriage in the Fleet. These appear to have been stopped by law in 1753. A rare GH mistake?

Some interesting information about bans & marriage licences here
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley...

Carol Clouds ꧁꧂ wrote: "Ferdy talks about a marriage in the Fleet. These appear to have been stopped by law in 1753. A rare GH mistake?

Some interesting information about bans & marriage licences here
http://homepages.ih..."

Well, Ferdy is not the most reliable source, remember Nemesis?

Thanks for the link!

❇Critterbee wrote:"Well, Ferdy is not the most reliable source, remember Nemesis? "

I don't think Ferdy would be well enough informed to talk about a practice that had been banned 40 years before his birth!

Anyway, finished & still love this one.

Each reading brings home how violent & selfish Sherry is though. I like the way GH has him mature.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Belinda wrote: "Chapter 2 bits I enjoyed. The viscounts mother was 'only revived by the reflection that the Viscount was no longer present to be chastened by the sight of his mother suffering from strong hysterics..."

Love your synopsis - I’m just reading chapter two, so it’s fresh anyway, your highlights make me grin like an idiot! Yes, after Carol’s comment above about how spoiled Sherry is, I’m noticing his demands more - won’t have it that Hero becomes a governess, indeed! Like she has a say in it!

I found Sherry to be pretty unlikable in the beginning. Then, he grew on me, especially because he was scrupulously honest, even when it meant admitting that he was wrong.

Belinda | 220 comments Thank you Susan in NC. 😃

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments You’re very welcome, Belinda! Critterbee, I agree, he definitely matures into a lore likeable young man.

Belinda wrote: "Hooray! April is here and your reading it. I love it. Its my third favourite after black sheep and sprig muslin. I believe it was one of GH's favourites as well. Isn't it funny that her war time no..."

Yes you feel like you are hanging out with a fun group of friends. (Ferdy's brother Marmaduke is pretty great as well.)

Belinda | 220 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Belinda wrote: "Hooray! April is here and your reading it. I love it. Its my third favourite after black sheep and sprig muslin. I believe it was one of GH's favourites as well. Isn't it funny that..."

I look forward to reaquainting myself with Marmaduke!

Belinda | 220 comments My favourite part of chapter 3 - "Jason who had been listening with the greatest interest to the conversation, interposed at this point to give it as his opinion that nothing could be more prejudicial to the smooth conduct of the elopement that for Varley, whom he described as a tattling old chub would could be counted on to whittle the whole scrap, to get wind of the lay. The Viscount, who in common with every other young blood, was fond of interlarding his conversation with cant terms, found no difficulty in understanding this dark warning. On the whole he agreed with it, but he said with some severity that these strictures on an old family retainer had their origin in Varley's discovery of an attempted theft of his watch-and-chain, some months previously." I think we have seen the trope of a young boy, taken in who becomes a great groom/whip before. Jem (climbing boy in Arabella) etc however I think Jason really stands out. I really like the continuing tension between Jason and his irresistible attraction to Ferdy's watch.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Love Jason!

message 16: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 06, 2018 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Ok, finished last night, and I still feel 3.5-4 stars is fair, on my personal “Heyer scale” - keeping in mind that pretty much any of her books beats all hell out of anything written these days...

Anyway, I found myself skimming the last few chapters, I think it almost jumped the shark, plot-wise - I guess that’s the only problem with the book for me. Last reading, a couple years ago, I felt the middle dragged (Hero and her infinite scrapes), this time, I was fine with the middle but the Bath ending went on to long; but I had to reread this morning, the very last bit where Hero talks about babies and Sherry jumps in to shut her up, and poor Ferdy says they’ll talk later about it, and Sherry corrects him, they WILL NOT discuss it!

I imagine Ferdy and Gil will be very happy loving family friends and honorary uncles, but are more than ready to stop being marriage assistants (or whatever you call what they’ve been doing - marriage by committee?) whatever it is, it was delightful, and creative and clever and I enjoyed it very much! I can’t help wishing there was a sequel, with Gil and Ferdy falling in love...oh, well, I’ll just reread Cotillion and pretend that’s it!

" I can’t help wishing there was a sequel, with Gil and Ferdy falling in love..."

With each other? ;) :D

I think Cotillion was Friday's Child sequel. & Gil in FC says a couple of times he's not the marrying kind.

message 18: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 06, 2018 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "" I can’t help wishing there was a sequel, with Gil and Ferdy falling in love..."

With each other? ;) :D

I think Cotillion was Friday's Child sequel. & Gil in FC says a couple of times he's not t..."

Well, if Gil says that as a euphemism for being gay, then sure, I’d enjoy a sequel with them falling in love! They do seem to enjoy each other’s company...or, if Gil is straight, maybe he’ll meet the right girl - that would be fun! I’m sure Sherry would enjoy meddling in his relationship as payback!

Susan in NC wrote: "Well, if Gil says that as a euphemism for being gay, then sure, I’d enjoy a sequel with them falling in love! They do seem to enjoy each other’s company...or, if Gil is straight, maybe he’ll meet the right girl - that would be fun! I’m sure Sherry would enjoy meddling in his relationship as payback!

Ooh, another plot idea for Elliott!

I never saw Gil as being gay. He reminds me a lot of my husband's best friend who never married.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Well, if Gil says that as a euphemism for being gay, then sure, I’d enjoy a sequel with them falling in love! They do seem to enjoy each other’s company...or, if Gil is straight..."

I think that’s becoming more of a trend, both sexes being comfortable never marrying, concentrating more on friends, careers, etc.

Susan in NC wrote: "I think that’s becoming more of a trend, both sexes being comfortable never marrying, concentrating more on friends, careers, etc... "

I agree!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments I say, it’s about time!

Belinda | 220 comments Yes women don't have marriage as their only career/financial option anymore - thank goodness.

message 24: by Jackie (last edited Apr 08, 2018 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie | 1215 comments even though I enjoyed the book a great deal, it does seem to be a little bit too long in the second half. I keep trying to figure out what could be cut out, however, and I can't find anything I wouldn't miss - like poor Mr. Tarleton, falling in love when she never thought of him at all. It seems to me like Kitten stays away from Sherry too long before he figures out that he loves her after all. But he always knew Isabella wasn't really what he wanted, he was just admiring her to follow the fashion and (especially) get his hands on his own money.

Jackie | 1215 comments Belinda wrote: "Yes women don't have marriage as their only career/financial option anymore - thank goodness."

and it turns out Kitten knows how to cook, although I expect she might never use it again

message 26: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments I can't decide which of the boys is my favourite. They're like a boyband so you have to have a favourite. Sherry, Ferdy, Gil, or George?
Or perhaps they are like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Sherry is Leonardo, Gil is Donatello, Ferdy is Michelangelo, and George is Raphael! So of course, Kitten is April O'Neil.

I think it's a close run thing but I might pick Ferdy as my favourite!

Rosina (rosinarowantree) My favourite is definitely George - it was the duel that persuaded me!

Of the bunch, Gil is my favourite!

Carolm | 62 comments I love Gil as well.

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 346 comments Gil--although Ferdy is a close second!

Teresa | 1627 comments Well I finished it. Can't say it's one of my favorites. There were certain parts I loved and others just annoyed me. Sherry is not someone I'd ever admire. He's his own worst enemy. I love his friends though. Ferdy is so vague about everything it makes him so endearing. Gil too is a great character. I could do without George. Too self centered by half and Isabella will spend her life trying to appease him for something or other.
I thought it was a tad too long. I picked up a book of short stories during it to read one or two for a break and that NEVER happens with me. I needed a break from Sherry. Glad I read it again though. Looking forward to the next one.

Rosina (rosinarowantree) Teresa wrote: "I could do without George. Too self centered by half and Isabella will spend her life trying to appease him for something or other."

I would disagree about George being self-centred. He is the first to realise that Kitten loves Sherry, and is being made unhappy by him. It might be because it mirrors his own situation, but he is concerned for her on her own account, and then shows more feeling for Sherry's position than the others do. He's rather quick to react to provocation, but his behaviour over the duel shows that he isn't actually a dangerous and violent lout.

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments I'm sorry you didn't like Sherry, Teresa. It must be tough to read a book where you don't get on with one of the main characters. He was certainly very thoughtless, but I did enjoy seeing his character development. I much prefer him to the masterful type who already know everything.

I agree that it was too long, but I've been scratching my head about it. I can't figure out why it's too long. I know it dragged, but I don't know what I would cut to speed it up.

Teresa | 1627 comments I agree with you there Nick. Too long but what to do without? Exactly! I can't figure out what to do without either.

Rosina each to their own. Yes he was thoughtful with Hero but the carry on of him over The Incomparable!!! He was unbearable at times and I felt for his friends having to put up with him. You won't change my mind on this one. Glad someone liked him though.

QNPoohBear | 1281 comments I'm not a fan of Sherry either. He has a lot of growing up to do even after the events of the novel.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I've always read Friday's Child for the secondary characters (ha! Boy Band), but I'm cutting both Sherry and Hero some slack this time around. Sherry is having to learn everything the hard way, and Hero is giving him ample opportunities to learn. Sherry is arrogant and heedless, but his upbringing hasn't given him any reasons to change, until he marries Hero. And one thing he does learn, with great difficulty, is his wife's value.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments The way Heyer introduces us to Jasper Tarleton is masterful. Lady Saltash invites him to the play, she and Hero discuss him casually with Hero mentioning his great age, and then we find out who he is and that he's charmed by Hero. No backtracking, just forwarding the action.

message 38: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments Poor Tarleton! He really deserved a better ending.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Yes, he does! Maybe that Greek fellow will follow him around and put him in the basket with a nice, comfortable female.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Lol - yes, I always thought Tarleton deserved his own story...

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Although I know we're dealing with the young and inexperienced in Hero and Sherry, I think the problem with this book is its continual run of misunderstandings. No one seems able to give anyone else the benefit of the doubt, but instead each one of them jumps to the most damaging of conclusions about the other. Instead of one Great Misunderstanding, we have a whole slew of them!

message 42: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments Karlyne wrote: "Yes, he does! Maybe that Greek fellow will follow him around and put him in the basket with a nice, comfortable female."

I love this! I too would like to see him with a happy ever after of his own.

I picture him with a woman that's been on the shelf for a few years but with a certain wit and charm. :)

message 43: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments Amy wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Yes, he does! Maybe that Greek fellow will follow him around and put him in the basket with a nice, comfortable female."

I love this! I too would like to see him with a happy ever ..."

Definitely yes to wit - he's so staid but the dream of adventure that his love for Kitten gave him is something that I think he deserves in a wife - someone just a little bit bolder than him to tease him and get him out of himself.

Jackie | 1215 comments we need a sequel - find out what happens when Sherry & Kitten and George & The Incomparable are all married - does Ferdy get married eventually? Gil doesn't, I think, and Mr. Tarlenton gets his Happily Ever After for sure. Maybe Jason needs more to life than being a Tiger, can he get married?

now, whose going to write it?

message 45: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments I think Ferdy will dodge marriage for as long as he can!

I can see him settling down with a nice managing girl who takes care of him and he's pleasantly surprised by how much he enjoys being married. But I can also see him getting snapped up by an overbearing shrew who he's too polite to say no to, and spending the rest of his days living at the club!

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 346 comments Nick wrote: "I think Ferdy will dodge marriage for as long as he can!

I can see him settling down with a nice managing girl who takes care of him and he's pleasantly surprised by how much he enjoys being marri..."

I think you have hit the nail on the head with Ferdy!

Alas, such a doomed future for dear Ferdy!

I have high hopes that he will forever be the Uncle, never taken quite too seriously, but always around and loved.

Teresa | 1627 comments Jackie wrote: "we need a sequel - find out what happens when Sherry & Kitten and George & The Incomparable are all married - does Ferdy get married eventually? Gil doesn't, I think, and Mr. Tarlenton gets his Hap..."

What a wonderful thought! A sequel! Alas, I don't think there's anyone out there who could do justice to it like Heyer herself.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Ferdy knows how to disappear when he needs to, so my money is on him dodging marriage until the right girl shows up!

message 50: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 17, 2018 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3441 comments Karlyne wrote: "Ferdy knows how to disappear when he needs to, so my money is on him dodging marriage until the right girl shows up!"

I agree - my only concern about Ferdy and Gil is they’re both such gentlemen that a determined match-making mama could bulldoze them into a compromising situation! Especially if they are very well-off, their desirability on the market would go up - and their wild friends, Sherry and George, aresafely married off and out of the way.

« previous 1