Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

The Mask of Dimitrios
This topic is about The Mask of Dimitrios
Monthly Book Reads > Mask Of Dimitrios, The - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darren (dazburns) | 655 comments Mod
Welcome to the discussion thread for the group's April 2018 selection in the Crime category:
Eric Ambler's The Mask of Dimitrios aka "A Coffin For Dimitrios"
The Mask of Dimitrios by Eric Ambler

Who's reading this one?

I will be starting it very soon...

message 2: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher (Donut) | 235 comments I voted for it and am pretty sure I have a copy around, so count me in.
I've heard Eric Ambler compared to Dashiell Hammett (probably in the sense of founding a genre, or epoch making innovation to a "golden age" genre).. at any rate, I have wanted to read an Ambler or two for quite some time.

message 3: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee | 22 comments I'm looking forward to it, just have to wait for my copy to arrive.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I'm in, but later in the month.

message 5: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments I took advantage of the rainy Bank Holiday to read this one today :-)

message 6: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (melaniemom) I’m having some trouble finding it, but I’m interested in reading it.

Leslie | 825 comments I liked this a lot but I was predisposed to like it because I love the film version with Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre!

message 8: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited Apr 04, 2018 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Melanie wrote: "I’m having some trouble finding it, but I’m interested in reading it."

I don't know where or how you pick up your books, Melanie, but there was an old BOMC anthology of Ambler novels with Dimitrios. It might be easier to find, I don't know

Intrigue: Journey Into Fear, A Coffin For Dimitrios, Cause For Alarm and Background to Danger

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 133 comments I’ll be picking up a copy at the library on Saturday.

Leslie | 825 comments Bryan wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I’m having some trouble finding it, but I’m interested in reading it."

I don't know where or how you pick up your books, Melanie, but there was an old BOMC anthology of Ambler nove..."

That was actually how I read it :)

message 11: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've ordered a copy from betterworldbooks.com - much cheaper than the Kindle copy.

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 133 comments Already I’ve learned about history I had never heard of before, and half a dozen times I’ve chuckled at some droll or cynical remark...and I’m only beginning chapter seven.

message 13: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments Dennis wrote: "Already I’ve learned about history I had never heard of before, and half a dozen times I’ve chuckled at some droll or cynical remark...and I’m only beginning chapter seven."

I found the glimpse into the Greek/Turkish recent history fascinating as well and as the protagonist travels around Europe other little titbits were shared. I learnt something without even trying! Best kind of book ;-)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 133 comments I really enjoyed this book, and it was no surprise that Sydney Greenstreet acted in the movie version. It takes you back to that time and makes you feel it more keenly than the times in which you are actually living. The writing is so good, too, even if you sometimes sense author Eric Ambler smirking at his characters. Thanks to the Guardian book club for getting me to read this at last (under its original and better title, The Mask of Dimitrios).

Leslie | 825 comments Dennis wrote: "I really enjoyed this book, and it was no surprise that Sydney Greenstreet acted in the movie version. It takes you back to that time and makes you feel it more keenly than the times in which you a..."

Greenstreet is so good in that film! And he and Peter Lorre work so well together. Zachary Scott is also surprisingly good as a villian!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Started this last night--really enjoyable so far. I think I'm going to really like it.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments And done. Great book and a lot of fun. Ambler handles the material really well--got me to chuckle a couple of times near the beginning...kind of mixture of drollery and well-turned phrases. I was pretty sure (view spoiler), but the enjoyment of the book didn't seem to rest on 'figuring it out'.

I see Goodreads has this listed as the first book with Charles Latimer, and the second as The Intercom Conspiracy. Has anyone read that one?

message 18: by Bron (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bron (bron23) | 30 comments Finally have had a chance to start this book (only just though so not very far in). So far so good and think I will enjoy this book. Glad to be finally reading an Ambler book as I haven't previously, though Journey into Fear has been sitting on my shelf waiting for me for quite some time.

message 19: by Bron (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bron (bron23) | 30 comments Well I finally finished this book. I was rather disappointed. It took me so long to read as I found I could put it down and not feel compelled to pick it back up for a number of days. I didn't really care about any of the characters and while the plot idea and time period interested me it wasn't enough for me to give it much of a thumbs up.

message 20: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher (Donut) | 235 comments A little late for purposes of this group, but A Coffin for Dimitrios is $1.99 for Kindle today.

Even though I have the pb, I bought the Kindle edition.

message 21: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil (lanark) | 433 comments Along with journey into fear, I've bought this book to read v. shortly. He's not a writer is even heard of, yet he has 3 books in the list (I think). Call me intrigued.

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "Along with journey into fear, I've bought this book to read v. shortly. He's not a writer is even heard of, yet he has 3 books in the list (I think). Call me intrigued."

I loved this book & the 1944 film (with Sidney Greenstreet & Peter Lorre) was also excellent.