Reading 1001 discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Archives > REVIEWS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Place your reviews here.

Diane  | 2050 comments Rating: Solid 5 stars

I had every intention of adhering to the reading schedule, but it was so engrossing that I just couldn't stop reading. Definitely one of the best books I have read. I wasn't all that keen on the revenge aspect, but I appreciated the message conveyed in the end. This was on my TBR forever, and I am happy to have finally read it.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Dank | 11 comments Rating: 5 Stars

I did not read this book with the group, but I've read it at least 3 times. First time was when I was a kid and it seemed to me an ultimate adventure story. Second time (early twenties) - the sadness of doomed love was the theme I picked up most on and I loved the book for that. Next time (later in life) it was the sweetness of revenge that made the book compelling for me.

To me it is a sign of a true masterpiece if you can enjoy the same book throughout your life and relate to it just as strongly. There are very few books on the list (or off the list for that matter) that I felt compelled to read more than once and enjoy as much, if not more, on every re-read.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Rating: Solid 5 stars

I had every intention of adhering to the reading schedule, but it was so engrossing that I just couldn't stop reading. Definitely one of the best books I have read. I wasn't ..."

I am so glad that you enjoyed it!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Ann wrote: "Rating: 5 Stars

I did not read this book with the group, but I've read it at least 3 times. First time was when I was a kid and it seemed to me an ultimate adventure story. Second time (early twen..."

I totally agree. When I read it last year I gave it 4.5 stars. This time... solid 5. I picked up on much more this time.

message 6: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip | 1434 comments This was a solid 5 star masterpiece. I had read an expurgated version as a child in an old-fashioned style so I was absolutely delighted to read the translation by Robin Buss, which read with a contemporary style. Dumas was a master of suspense. When I finished one chapter I simply had to start the next one. One had to concentrate to keep all the characters in their place, but there were sly little hints at who was who, even as almost everyone changed their name at some point and the protagonist had at least 5 aliases. The story was too good to be true and the reader's incredulity was at times stretched (could there have been time to insert a peephole in the portrait when the Count had lived such a short time in his Paris house?) There were times when the theme of perseverance had to be exercised by the reader because various puzzles were only much later explained. One had to read with care as not to miss the clues and there were times when one thought a mistake had been made, as when the quarter-filled glass beside Valentine's bed mysteriously remained so after it had been emptied first by Mme Danglars and then by the servant, but, no, Dumas was playing with the reader after all. The whole was like a murder mystery television series except you know who the victims are and you know who the villain is, the question is how is revenge going to be extracted. There are allusions galore, nearly every contemporary play or novel finds its way into the plot much like Junot Diaz inserts current affairs into The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. This is a hugely entertaining book.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Pip wrote: "This was a solid 5 star masterpiece. I had read an expurgated version as a child in an old-fashioned style so I was absolutely delighted to read the translation by Robin Buss, which read with a con..."

thanks for your review -- I agree with everything you wrote