What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/teen SF - Generational building, people never leave. Old sections are dismantled at the back and used to rebuild new on the front.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Mar 31, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Cindy | 6 comments Likely written the 1970’s or earlier. Definitely not later than 1985.

Probably YA. It had more of a City of Ember feel to it, rather than something darker. I could be wrong.

It is *not* Robert Silverberg’s The World Inside.
It is also not Christopher Priest’s Inverted World.

I think it began with the MC and her(?) family having to move out of their section of the building because it was several generations old and scheduled to be torn down. The materials are recycled and used to build onto the front of the building. Not surprising, this makes the building slowly move across the landscape.

I don’t think people ever leave the building, or they’re not supposed to anyway.

I vaguely remember mandatory sleep periods enforced with gas through the air ducts. That part isn’t as essential as the building moving snake-like and blind across the country.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Cindy --
You can bump your thread every month or so. This puts your book back at the top of the folder instead of on page 26. More people and newer eyes will see it and perhaps know your book. Good luck!

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments Thank you.

I’m wondering if it really was Inverted World, and I was too young when I read it to catch the full weirdness. I’m waiting for a copy from my library.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments Andra?

The Tomorrow City?

Just guesses, though. Are you fairly sure the MC was a girl?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
In Inverted World, the giant world was moved along tracks. They had to dismantle the tracks behind them and move them in front and advance the structure. I don't think the living structure itself was being dismantled. It was also not YA, although the protagonist may have been a teen, at any rate no older than early 20s I think.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments I’m reading Inverted World right now, and I’m already certain this isn’t it. It’s good though!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments Andrea, I’ll look into that one. I thought the MC was a girl, but at the time I didn’t really pay attention to gender.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments Still looking, Cindy?

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments Yes, although I’ve eliminated one possibility, so there’s that.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments It sounds super familiar to me.

Did you rule out Andra and The Tomorrow City?

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments I’m pretty sure it’s not the first one, but I’ll check out Tomorrow City. I have to keep in mind that the part I remember best might be one of the least important parts of the story. Memory is a tricky thing.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments I'll keep looking, too. This sounds super familiar to me.

Might also check the books mentioned on this thread....

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...