Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Kobo ISBN(?) use

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments So I'm all confused about this topic and not even sure where to start.

I recently purchased a book from Kobo. When I checked the details (on Kobo) the ISBN is given as: 1230000253698

This number string has 13 digits but it is not an ISBN as I know them to be. I know that some companies (Like Amazon and B&N) are using their own set of codes (for some strange reason) BUT this 123 with so many 0's...

Usually when I run into a strange string of numbers like this I simply look inside the book and locate the actual ISBN on the copyright page. In this situation there is no real copyright page - this is an anthology so the only copyright details listed are for the individual books instead of the entire anthology.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6339 comments I find this thread, that indicates teh Kobo ISBNs are like Amazon and B&N:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments I think my OCD is breaking me.

So, if I'm reading that thread you linked correctly, the strange 123 ISBN is valid - but only at Kobo. ANd at GR because we need to use it to log books.

message 4: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 25, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6339 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So, if I'm reading that thread you linked correctly, the strange 123 ISBN is valid - but only at Kobo. ANd at GR because we need to use it to log books."

That's how I read it. Just like ISBNs with letters are good only at Amazon and the 294 numbers are good only at B&N.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Yes, and officially we only use BNID, Kobo ID and ISBN13 in the ISBN 13 field

message 6: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2670 comments I just found a book with a Kobo ID
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

When I edited I got a warning to check the ISBN, but it's ok, right? I added a librarian note

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Yes we keep Kobo id