Reading List Completists discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
Group Reads > Rebecca by Daphnie DuMaurier

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Mar 31, 2018 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1706 comments Mod
Discuss our May 2018 group read here

Glenda | 61 comments I read this for the first time about 4 years ago and really liked it, hope everyone else does as well.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca starts today!

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 17 comments I joined this group awhile ago but am finally able to read one of the group reads. Starting on this tonight!

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue wrote: "I joined this group awhile ago but am finally able to read one of the group reads. Starting on this tonight!"

Enjoy! It's a great one!

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Click here for my review of Rebecca

I loved this book!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 17 comments Great review Matthew. I think I'm the only one who read it this time around so I didn't post. I liked it a lot and probably would have given it 5 stars if I'd read it before My Cousin Rachel which I liked even better.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue wrote: "Great review Matthew. I think I'm the only one who read it this time around so I didn't post. I liked it a lot and probably would have given it 5 stars if I'd read it before [book:My Cousin Rachel|..."

I read it back in November, but very fresh in my mind! I need to give My Cousin Rachel a try.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 17 comments Matthew wrote: "Sue wrote: "Great review Matthew. I think I'm the only one who read it this time around so I didn't post. I liked it a lot and probably would have given it 5 stars if I'd read it before [book:My Co..."

Many like My Cousin Rachel better, but it's worth reading to see for yourself. Most people who like one also like the other from what I've seen.

The narrator (Phillip) will drive you crazy, but he's supposed to! If you don't like being driven crazy (to the point of wanting to slap him around!), then don't try it. hee hee. I normally wouldn't like that but it is so well written and fast paced.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Finally got around to this one. Here’s my brief review (SPOILERS!). Loved this book - part of a book club. Not what you think - though mysterious romance gothic mystery is just part of its allure. Nameless narrator falls for Maxim DeWinter but is thwarted by his dead wife Rebecca — and the devious and unforgettable housekeeper Mrs Danvers. And there is the final character - Maxim’s estate Manderley with the famous opening lines - last night I dreamed of Manderley. Subtly subversive - things are not what they seem - lush narrative and writing - under rated and more than just a women’s novel. Owes a lot to Jane Eyre. A crime is committed and gotten away with - and we all fall in love with a killer. Just read it.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments And of course the amazing Hitchcock movie based on book with Dame Judith Anderson iconic and Oscar winning (I believe) as Mrs Danvers!

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 17 comments Brooklyn wrote: "Finally got around to this one. Here’s my brief review (SPOILERS!). Loved this book - part of a book club. Not what you think - though mysterious romance gothic mystery is just part of its allure. ..."

I'm glad you liked it Brooklyn! I didn't know there was a Hitchcock movie adaptation. I must find it!

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooklyn wrote: "Finally got around to this one. Here’s my brief review (SPOILERS!). Loved this book - part of a book club. Not what you think - though mysterious romance gothic mystery is just part of its allure. ..."

Great summary and review!