Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF&F Awards > 2018 Hugo Award Winners Announced

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Hugo Award Logo  
The nominees for the 2018 Hugo Awards (for SF&F works of 2017) have been announced:

Best Novel Finalists:

The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Provenance by Ann Leckie Provenance by Ann Leckie

Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2) by Yoon Ha Lee Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty

The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin

Best Novella Finalists:

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells All Systems Red by Martha Wells

And Then There Were (N-One),” by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny, March/April 2017)

Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor Binti- Home by Nnedi Okorafor

The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate #1) by J.Y. Yang The Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang

Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) by Seanan McGuire Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire

River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1) by Sarah Gailey River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey

Best Novelette Finalists:
Children of Thorns, Children of Water,” by Aliette de Bodard (Uncanny, July-August 2017)
Extracurricular Activities,” by Yoon Ha Lee (Tor.com, February 15, 2017)
The Secret Life of Bots,” by Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, September 2017)
A Series of Steaks,” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (Clarkesworld, January 2017)
Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time,” by K.M. Szpara (Uncanny, May/June 2017)
Wind Will Rove,” by Sarah Pinsker (Asimov’s, September/October 2017)

Best Short Story Finalists:
Carnival Nine,” by Caroline M. Yoachim (Beneath Ceaseless Skies, May 2017)
Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand,” by Fran Wilde (Uncanny, September 2017)
Fandom for Robots,” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (Uncanny, September/October 2017)
The Martian Obelisk,” by Linda Nagata (Tor.com, July 19, 2017)
Sun, Moon, Dust” by Ursula Vernon, (Uncanny, May/June 2017)
Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience™,” by Rebecca Roanhorse (Apex, August 2017)

Best Series Finalists:
The Books of the Raksura, by Martha Wells
The Divine Cities, by Robert Jackson Bennett
InCryptid, by Seanan McGuire
The Memoirs of Lady Trent, by Marie Brennan
The Stormlight Archive, by Brandon Sanderson
World of the Five Gods, by Lois McMaster Bujold

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer Finalists: ("not a Hugo")
Katherine Arden
Sarah Kuhn
Jeannette Ng
Vina Jie-Min Prasad
Rebecca Roanhorse
Rivers Solomon

Hugo Awards are presented annually, selected by the members & supporters of that year's WorldCon (Sam Jose this year.) You can find a full list of all nominees in all other categories at the Worldcon 75 website. You can watch a video of the annoucnement at the Hugo Awards website. The Winners will be announced at WorldCon 76 in San Jose, Aug 16-20.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I've read all but Six Wakes in the novel category and all but River of Teeth in the novella category. OTOH, I've only read anything in half the Best Series finalists.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 31, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

Addenda: I added links to all novelettes and short stories available to read on-line. Which is all of them. The paid subscription-only magazines haven't done very well in Hugo-space these last few years.

message 4: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Read 4 of 6 of the novels and 4 of 6 of the novellas but wouldn't necessarily say i was blown away by any of them.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments Looks like I’ll need to read NY 2140 so I can choose from the novels.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I love that all shorts and novelettes are available for free!

Interesting that Autonomous did not get a nod. Wolf Moon should be on that list but there were already too many space opera.
I think NY 2140 will win. I plan to read it around August but maybe will move it forward along with Provenance and The Collapsing Empire which copies I already own.

I wish Divine Cities will win best series but Stormlight Archive is hard to beat. I read Bujold's series and loved it but she already won last year.

Martha Wells should win for All Systems Red.

Best fancast, I hope Coode Street or Sword and Laser could bring home the trophy.

For best dramatic presentation, wonder why there is no The Expanse episode... was it ineligible?

message 7: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments I'm at two complete and two in progress for the novels, which is the most I've had for a long long time, plus another couple of the novellas. I'll definitely have to dig into the rest of those but I suspect Black Tides will be the one to beat there. I don't have a clear favourite amongst the novels.

message 8: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments The only series entrant I've read any of is The Divine Cities but given it's currently running at two from two in my "both five stars and also stayed up super late just to finish the book" metrics I'd love to see it win.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I started on Six Wakes today to complete reading the finalists.

The Best Series award is going to take some time to settle out. All finalists from the previous year are ineligible for the following year unless there have been two additional novels, and since last year was the first such award category, it drew a lot of "bin name" series that thus became ineligible.

Silvana wrote: "For best dramatic presentation, wonder why there is no The Expanse episode... was it ineligible? ..."

The difficulty with "Dramatic Presentation short form" (TV) is that it's for specific episodes, not the "show" as a whole, so it requires considerable consensus – not to mention remembering episode titles!

message 10: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments G33z3r wrote: "Addenda: I added links to all novelettes and short stories available to read on-line. Which is all of them. The paid subscription-only magazines haven't done very well in Hugo-space these last few ..."

BTW thanks heaps for that. I've saved them all away for some casual reading over the next couple of weeks.

message 11: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Read the Novelettes. Here would be my rankings:

1. Extracurricular Activities. More adventures of Shuos Jedao are always welcome. Seems to be from earlier in his career when he was only somewhat completely invincible instead of totally. 4*s.

2. The Secret Life of Bots. Normally I hate anthropomorphized robots but this was cute. 3.5*s.

3. A Series of Steaks. A very clever story about some minor criminals. 3.5*s

4. Children of Thorns, Children of Water. Not really familiar with this setting but the story was fairly self-contained. 3*s.

5. Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time. Vampires! 2*s.

6. Wind Will Rove. Did not finish this one, was boring. A novelette should not read like a class syllabus. 1*s.

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) G33z3r wrote: "The difficulty with "Dramatic Presentation short form" (TV) is that it's for specific episodes, not the "show" as a whole, so it requires considerable consensus – not to mention remembering episode titles! "

I think the fifth episode of season 2 ("Home") is as good as the "Leviathan Wakes" episode of season 1 that was nominated for Hugo.

Anyway, I am starting to watch The Good Place to see why all the fuss.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Hugo winners : http://www.thehugoawards.org/2018/08/...

Well, too bad Raven Stratagem did not win but my runner up was The Stone Sky so I am pretty happy. This year's finalists are kinda meh to me, it does not surprise me that the only fantasy finalist beat them all.

Martha Wells, Rebecca Roanhorse and Nnedi Okorafor are predictable winners. Palmer's Secret Life of Bots is alright but I did want Prasad's A Series of Steaks for win.

Yay for Uncanny, file 770, The Good Place and Lois Bujold!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hugo Award Logo   The Winners for the 2018 Hugo Awards (for SF&F works of 2017) have been announced:

Best Novel:

The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin

Best Novella:

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells All Systems Red by Martha Wells

Best Novelette:
The Secret Life of Bots,” by Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, September 2017)

Best Short Story:
Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience™,” by Rebecca Roanhorse (Apex, August 2017)

Best Series:
World of the Five Gods, by Lois McMaster Bujold

Best Young Adult Book

Akata Warrior (Akata Witch, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor

Best Graphic Story

Monstress, Vol. 2 The Blood (Monstress, #2) by Marjorie M. Liu Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood by Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form (i.e., TV Show)
The Good Place: “The Trolley Problem,”

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form (i.e., Movie)
Wonder Woman

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer: ("not a Hugo")
Rebecca Roanhorse

Hugo Awards are presented annually, selected by the members & supporters of that year's WorldCon (Sam Jose this year.) You can find a full list of all nominees in all other categories at the Worldcon 75 website. You can watch a video of the annoucnement at the Hugo Awards website. The Winners were announced at WorldCon 76 in San Jose, Aug 19.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "Well, too bad Raven Stratagem did not win but my runner up was The Stone Sky so I am pretty happy. This year's finalists are kinda meh to me, it does not surprise me that the only fantasy finalist beat them all. ..."

I thought the Best Novel field was pretty strong this year. First time in a long time I could see any of them winning. Threepeat for NKJ.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments I think that’s a first in Hugo history. I’m glad it was her!

message 17: by Silvana (last edited Aug 22, 2018 05:32PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) and Bujold also won another award in the same category like last year.

Would be funny if next year her Sharing Knife series get nominated and wins again, making it another threepeat.
Or maybe Jemisin will take home that trophy now that she swept all awards for Broken earth trilogy.

Edited: Both Sharing Knife and Broken Earth cannot be nominated next year since they do not qualify.

G33z3r wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Well, too bad Raven Stratagem did not win but my runner up was The Stone Sky so I am pretty happy. This year's finalists are kinda meh to me, it does not surprise me that the only f..."

I seriously think there are other novels more deserving than The Collapsing Empire, Provenance and Six Wakes as finalists but at least none of them took home the award *shrugs

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "I seriously think there are other novels more deserving than The Collapsing Empire, Provenance and Six Wakes as finalists but at least none of them took home the award *shrugs ..."

I'll devinietly agree I thought The Collapsing Empire was the weakest nominee (it wasn't one of my nominees. I included Persepolis Rising and Null States on my list instead, but I thought the two standouts this year were The Stone Sky & Raven Stratagem.)

I thought the novella category was strong, too, this year.

My choice for Best Series was The Divine Cities trilogy.

At least I didn't facepalm at any of this year's winners. :)

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 520 comments Yeah I went Stone Sky, Raven Strategem , NY2140
The novellas were hard. I was really pulling for Carnival 9 tho.

I wanted the Lady Trent Series to win since it is the only year it would have been eligible.

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Loved Carnival Nine.

Novella finalists are good, huh?

I still need to read the rest of them beside And then there were none and All Systems red. Still deciding between JY Yang's and Sarah Gailey's...

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:11AM) (new)

Silvana wrote: "Loved Carnival Nine.

Novella finalists are good, huh?

I still need to read the rest of them beside And then there were none and All Systems red. Still deciding between JY Yang's and Sarah Gailey..."

Yeah, I'll go with Carnival Nine, too. It was amazingly imaginative! It deserved more turns.

The Yang novella The Black Tides of Heaven is part of a duology (with The Red Threads of Fortune) sword & sorcery with an eastern flavor. Each novella follows the story of each of two twin brothers. Down Among the Sticks and Bones is the 2nd of McGuire's series looking at stories about kids who go through magic portals to alternate worlds (though it's a stand-along and you needn't have read last year's Hugo- & Nebula- Awards winner Every Heart a Doorway. Different kids, different portals. :)

I can't vouch for the Pinsker; I've never understood anything she's written, and gave up trying a couple of years ago. It saves time if I just say, "Huh?" after reading the title and move on.

message 22: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The Pinsker one was indeed odd despite the interesting premise. I don't think you lose anything by not reading it.

I think I'll try Black Tides of Heaven. Any comment on River of Teeth?