Archive - Award Winners > Into The Water - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Winner of Mystery & Thriller Category

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
Into the Water

In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help.

Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind.

But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of knowing that Nel would never have jumped.

And most of all she’s afraid of the water, and the place they call the Drowning Pool . . .

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I just got this on on audible and it will be up next. I am a little worried though. I have heard there are a lot of characters and it is difficult to keep track and that isn't a good thing on audible when you can't flip back easily.

Trisha I just finished this one....and YES! There are a lot of POV's......but I think if you know who they are (you'll learn them pretty quick), it will hopefully not be too bad!!

I hope you like it!

Colleen  | 138 comments I was going to listen also on audio - hoping I can get a copy and fit it in, as well as keep track of who's who. Looks good!

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 278 comments Trisha wrote: "I just finished this one....and YES! There are a lot of POV's......but I think if you know who they are (you'll learn them pretty quick), it will hopefully not be too bad!!

I hope you like it!"

I read this and then forgot to leave a comment on the thread!

It did twist around between POV's, but was interesting. I think it could have been trimmed down, maybe just a bit...

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I am at 20% now on audible and am finding it a bit slow. I think I am good with all the characters though.
I mean it is a mystery about (view spoiler) but waiting for something to happen.
I am curious about (view spoiler)

I haven't had time to listen to big chunks of the book so it could be just me and not that the book is actually slow.

Vicki Willis | 865 comments This one is going to lap into May for me. Finally something interesting happened! I am at about 40%
Will keep chugging along.

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Well, I am laughing out loud right now.

I didn't realize this was the author who wrote The Girl on the Train until I finished the book. I was wondering how/why this would win the choice award, but now I think it is because of who the author is.

That one was a 3 star read for me and so was this one.

I thought this dragged a bit. I didn't really care what happened. It didn't seem like that big of a mystery. The whole town was flawed and enterwined.

Obviously, this author is not a go to for me. There is something about her books that prevent me from loving them.

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Vicki Willis wrote: "I didn't realize this was the author who wrote The Girl on the Train until I finished the book. I was wondering how/why this would win the choice award, but now I think it is because of who the author is. "

That's exactly why I haven't bothered with this one, as Girl on the Train was very average for me.

Bigsna (binny) Vicki Willis wrote: "Well, I am laughing out loud right now.

I didn't realize this was the author who wrote The Girl on the Train until I finished the book. I was wondering how/why this would win the ..."

I liked the girl on the train, but this one was super averagfor me - 2 stars - it definitely rode the popularity wave created by the first book by getting voted the winner in its category. Quite a drag. It has a pretty low average rating on GR too (3.5).

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoyed this one. It kept my attention, and the writing was easy to get lost in.