Play Book Tag discussion

How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
This topic is about How Dare the Sun Rise
March 2018: Autobiography > How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War..., by Sandra Uwiringiyimana - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 5757 comments I finished How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child yesterday and I'm still feeling blown away by it. In a time when refugees are no longer welcomed, I think that becoming aware of what they are fleeing is important and young activist, Sandra Uwiringiyimana lays it all out there.

This is by no means an easy read, the book starts with Sandra's memory of her experience at 10 years of age of a massacre of her people at a UN refugee camp in Burundi in which many of her relatives were murdered.

Uwiringiyimana's family flee to Rwanda and eventually seek shelter in the United States in Rochester, NY. Sandra's native culture is much different than culture in the US, she spoke French, Swahili and her native tongue, but not English, so starting school in Jr High was not easy and added to that still coming to grips with the trauma which she had experience the reader can understand how brave she was.

Sandra did an exhibit of photographs in Rochester which brought her into the national spotlight and activism. Her road is an interesting one and I encourage anyone who is interested to read the book.

Booknblues | 5757 comments Just a note this is currently $1.99 on kindle at Amazon.

Cora (corareading) | 1359 comments Sounds good. I just picked up the kindle edition.

Booknblues | 5757 comments Cora wrote: "Sounds good. I just picked up the kindle edition."

It is good. She is still quite young and involved in activism. You can hear the youth in her book as she talks about high school and college. She worries about fitting in and has teenage disagreements with her parents.. I felt that, it was one of the things that made it more powerful.

message 5: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Adding to TBR.