YA LGBT Books discussion

Sovereign (Nemesis, #2)
This topic is about Sovereign
Buddy Reads > Sovereign (Nemesis 2) - Sequel to Dreadnought - April Daniels

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Apr 28, 2018 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I really enjoyed Dreadnought - an imaginative superhero story with a transgender girl MC. I've wanted to read the sequel, but somehow never got to it. I'm hoping that some members also have an interest, and maybe we can read it together.

Sovereign Sovereign (Nemesis, #2) by April Daniels by April Daniels

Only nine months after her debut as the superhero Dreadnought, Danny Tozer is already a scarred veteran. Protecting a city the size of New Port is a team-sized job and she’s doing it alone. Between her newfound celebrity and her demanding cape duties, Dreadnought is stretched thin, and it’s only going to get worse.

When she crosses a newly discovered billionaire supervillain, Dreadnought comes under attack from all quarters. From her troubled family life to her disintegrating friendship with Calamity, there’s no lever too cruel for this villain to use against her.

She might be hard to kill, but there’s more than one way to destroy a hero. Before the war is over, Dreadnought will be forced to confront parts of herself she never wanted to acknowledge.

And behind it all, an old enemy waits in the wings, ready to unleash a plot that will scar the world forever.

*trigger warnings* : the first book had transphobia/bullying. I'm not seeing warning tags in people's shelves on this one, so no info.

Participants: Kaje
Iamshadow
Lucy

Start date: April 28th

Feel free to comment if you have already read the book. If you want to comment on things that are clear plot spoilers, please use tags.
To use spoiler-hiding tags: these are html codes, like for italics. Write before the spoiler <*spoiler> but with the asterisk removed. And at the end <*/spoiler> also without the star. (view spoiler)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Looking forward to reading this one! My brand new second hand copy is waiting on my bookshelf for me to open it up and dive in. From what I've heard, April is writing the third one right now, and I'm very excited to see where Danny's story goes. :)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Cool - added you to the list. I'll be putting this in the newsletter, so we'll give it a few days to see if anyone joins us, then decide on a start.

message 4: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy | 2 comments Would love to be on the list, I've had this book for so long and I really want to read it.

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Lucy wrote: "Would love to be on the list, I've had this book for so long and I really want to read it."

Great - added you. We'll give it a few days for others to potentially join.

Iamshadow | 334 comments Oh, FYI, if anyone can't find a physical copy but has a subscription to Scribd - both Dreadnought and Sovereign are available on there! It might be worth checking out.

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I think the three of us will have to just decide to go ahead with it. Let me know if there's a reason to wait for either of you.

Iamshadow | 334 comments Kaje wrote: "I think the three of us will have to just decide to go ahead with it. Let me know if there's a reason to wait for either of you."

I'm fine to read whenever, so just say the word. I have a copy, and I'm a fast reader, at home all day on disability. Nothing better to do with my time besides knit for charity, and if I read it on Scribd, I can do both at once. :D

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I'll see if Lucy is getting updates from here and if not I'll check in with her. I'm in the middle of a current book and could read this next.

message 10: by Kaje (last edited Apr 28, 2018 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I'm going to suggest we go ahead with this one. I did PM Lucy - we'll see if she joins us.

I'm interested in how Danny will adjust to the responsibilities heaped on her at the end of the first book, and whether her budding romance with Calamity/Sarah will go anywhere.

message 11: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy | 2 comments Hey!

Sorry wasn't tracking this thread. I'm definitely ready to start Sovereign if you guys are.

message 12: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Lucy wrote: "Hey!

Sorry wasn't tracking this thread. I'm definitely ready to start Sovereign if you guys are."

Cool - looking forward to it :)

Iamshadow | 334 comments IMG_20180429_170325

Ready or not!

message 14: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Yay. I've started mine. I'm not sure that Danny's powers are really logically consistent but I'm going to not nit pick that part.

Iamshadow | 334 comments So far, about 10% in, loving the addition of an Iranian-American genderqueer cape.

message 16: by Kaje (last edited May 01, 2018 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Iamshadow wrote: "So far, about 10% in, loving the addition of an Iranian-American genderqueer cape."

Yes - cool to have a non-binary character. And Doc is getting interesting. There seems to be a hint more of politics in this one.

Patty Hi! I’m new to this reading group, but I’d love to join this Buddy Reads.

I’ve read both books in the duology, and I’m ready to discuss and delve into Sovereign at the group’s pace!

I appreciate Daniel’s inclusion of Kinetiq as well and how she portrays this genderqueer character using they/them pronouns. I don’t think I’ve read another book that’s done this, YA or otherwise.

message 18: by Kaje (last edited May 02, 2018 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Hi Patty, welcome. There are a few other YA books with nonbinary/genderqueer characters (one of my favorites is Symptoms of Being Human) but we definitely need more, and particularly like this where being NB is not the sole focus but just an aspect of Kinetique.

I'm finding this book a bit darker and more political (and more violent) than the first one. Not in a totally bad way, but it is something for readers to be aware of - lots of physical fighting and injuries done. I still feel like Danny's superpowers are a bit ill-defined (view spoiler)

message 19: by Patty (last edited May 03, 2018 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patty That’s an interesting point; the characters’ powers are briefly described and shown in fights, but they don’t always have a logical consistency. The weakness to lightning is also convenient for some of the villains, like in the opening.

I feel her development with her issues is important. She really doesn’t get an opportunity to cope with her feelings after her transition (more the social ramifications of it).

message 20: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Well, I finished it. :) There were things I liked a lot, and a few quibbles. It got a little darker in the end than I expected. It's late, so I'm going to review tomorrow. But I'm glad I read it and I think there is some valuable realism to part of how Danny has to deal with things, within the super-hero package.

Patty Yay! How did you feel about the (surprise?) antagonist at the end of the novel? I thought it was kind of fitting to have (view spoiler)

message 22: by Kaje (last edited May 04, 2018 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I liked that it spread the villainy among different players and with different motivations. (view spoiler) Over all, I liked both the unexpected parts and the range of issues that arose.

Iamshadow | 334 comments About halfway in, and the consistency of Danny's powers aside (something that doesn't bother me), I think it's a very relevant story, politically. It's making commentary on current political climates, something Not Your Sidekick and its sequel do well as well. It's showing the underside of conservative politics and policies and voting trends, pointing out what you're really buying in to when you hand over your own power in exchange for platitudes. While Nemesis and Sidekick are very different universes in some ways, in others, they're very in sync.

message 24: by Kaje (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I agree - this one definitely mirrors current political issues and is a broader story in that sense. I liked that it simplified and amplified some of the worst things about how our system works, making them clearer.

message 25: by Kaje (last edited May 05, 2018 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments My review - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I felt like I missed a bit of closeness with Danny, somehow. The amount of action and fighting and message in this one left less room for emotions. I did like that her romance progressed and we got a few quiet moments there - I like the separation of gender and orientation, and that both get play in this book. Particularly in the episode with her parents I thought emotions did hit the page well, but that fizzled by the wayside pretty quickly. Still a solid 4 star read for me, and I'll definitely read the next when it comes out.

message 26: by Iamshadow (last edited May 05, 2018 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iamshadow | 334 comments I rated it 5 stars. I liked that it didn't pull its punches, the way fiction often does, or resort to euphemisms. (view spoiler)

Patty I also rated Sovereign five stars, and I can understand the four star review. I felt closer to Danny in Dreadnought, but maybe that’s because she comes into her own person more in Sovereign. The two dedications really epitomize these ideas: for the girls in hiding vs the girls who are free.

Those points are very good about Daniel’s portayal of Danny: not the stereotypical hyperfemme transwoman, but an independent badass.

I also like how the characters break their gender roles, respectively. Danny is agressive and impulsive, Sovereign seemingly cares about his daughter, and Graywytch is cold-hearted toward everyone. I love how the main characters were all female because it really let the feminism theme shine, (view spoiler)

I really appreciated (view spoiler)

Kaje, I am busy at the moment, but I look forward to reading your review later in the day!

message 28: by Kaje (last edited May 05, 2018 09:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I agree that I do like seeing a fictional trans girl who doesn't embrace all the stereotypes of femininity. Although Danny doesn't at this point have the level of physical dysphoria or the issues with trying to avoid being misgendered by many strangers that maybe push some trans girls toward all the outward trappings. She was given an outwardly female body, and I wonder to what degree that frees her to not have to use the other outward markers of gender.

I did like seeing any girl in fiction who is allowed to be angry, and physical, and who breaks the "good girl" boundaries as an MC.