Old Books, New Readers discussion

Archived > Silas Marner - Week 4

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Week 4, April 22 - 28, Part 2

Please leave your comments here.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I read this years ago (really we're talking 1967) and it stuck with me. There have been a couple of attempts at using it as the inspiration for a movie, but none really captured it. Good book.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula I lost track of this reading schedule so I missed everyone's sharing. I read this title many years ago. I was prompted by the fact that it's a classic and because my father had always said he hated reading it in school. Worst book he'd ever read, he said. I enjoyed the story, and not because I'm always contrary to my father (although I've been known to be). I watched the film version with Ben Kingsley and it was okay. 3/5 stars, I guess.

message 4: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments I have listened to it a year ago and loved it. The language was wonderful, and I very much enjoyed the snarky look at village people. It could have been due to the narrator. I have found that a good narrator can really transform a book.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) It's always a matter of taste...though I'd swear there are books my daughter hasn't read simply because i recommended them.

Oo

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
I have been running behind on the BOTMs for 2018 but I have finally finished this book. I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. In the beginning, the wordiness reminded me a bit of The Scarlet Letter but It seemed to improve as it went on.

I need to find the movie adaptation you guys have mentioned.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) It's A Simple Twist of Fate and was adopted by and stars (believe it or not) Steve Martian. I liked it.