Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Favorite Discussions > Just Talk- April

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 707 comments Mod
Gonna post the one a day early because tomorrow is gonna be a busy day celebrating our risen Lord!!

This is our topic for fun and engaging conversation . It's also a great thread to just throw something out there if you have a question about something to do with the group etc. We'd love people to start here and post a question if there's a question that they want to ask the group. Thanks so much!

Easter is coming on April 1st this year- does anyone have any fun Easter memories OR funny April Fool's pranks that they have pulled!?

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2654 comments Mod
My brother and I switched the sugar out for salt on our kitchen table the night before. Dad started laughing the first bite of cereal! Luckily he was a really good sport. My stepsister called her dad from our college dorm and told him she had bought a car. I could hear him screaming at her on the other end of the line. When she finally said "April fool's," he was still fuming.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina That's funny!

I poured water into a milk gallon and put it back into the fridge. My mother was preparing my father's meal and was pouring him some "milk" when she looked back it was water then we all laughed about it afterwards! :)

message 4: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Good one Hannah!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina Thanks! *laughs* it came to me last minute. I was about to throw the milk gallon away when I thought it would be funny to dump water in it and put it back! *snicker*

message 6: by Bonny (new)

Bonny (bonnybonnybeth) | 366 comments My special Easter memories were waking up early for the sunrise service, and bundling up in winter clothes because it was so cold at the lake where the service was held. Also, waking up to The Easter Song by 2nd Chapter of Acts and singing and dancing to it. I still get up early for the sunrise service, and it's always cold! But it's the best way to greet Easter morning!

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 851 comments I love the Easter Song....our pianist worked it into her prelude on Sunday and made me quite happy. :)

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina That's great Bonnie! My dad loves the Second Chapter of Acts group! :) I don't think I've ever been to a sunrise service thou.. :( I want to go to one!

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 250 comments I too love 2nd Chapter of Acts’ Easter Song. Thanks 4 that reminder !

message 10: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I have wonderful memories of that Easter Song. My son sang in the youth choir all through junior high and high school. Every Easter Sunday they would sing at the sunrise service and that you would be their choir song. He just rolls his eyes when he hears it now!

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane | 114 comments Hey y'all, I'm looking for a specific product and have no idea whether it even exists (I may have to create my own -- ugh). Wondering if any of you have ideas. I would like to find a cd to play quietly while falling asleep at night. If I find the perfect thing, I would also like to use it to help calm my father, who has Alzheimer's. Ideally what I want is just a very soothing voice reciting various uplifting Bible verses, fairly monotone with no great changes in loudness. (Preferably not with background music (although my guess is that if I'm able to find anything, it will probably have a music track). Not looking for a verbatim recitation of every verse, chapter and book of the Bible, just some chosen verses. I have all the usual calming cd's like ocean waves, rain, crackling fireplace, etc. But I would love to fall asleep listening to Scripture and have that be in my head instead of all the other worries about what I need to do the next day, etc. Please let me know, if anyone has some good ideas!! Thanks!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 851 comments There is an Alexander Scourby recording...I wouldn't say it's monotone, but it's an older recording and only the newer recording has added the "dramatized" version. That might be what you're looking for. You can try listening to samples online to see...it's KJV version, but it doesn't sound like version is something you're worried so much about, just the relaxing part. :)

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 260 comments Jane wrote: "Hey y'all, I'm looking for a specific product and have no idea whether it even exists (I may have to create my own -- ugh). Wondering if any of you have ideas. I would like to find a cd to play qui..."

This isn't quite what you are looking for Jane, but it's close so thought I'd share it anyway.

I have an America the Beautiful CD - The Musical Nature of God: A Celebration of God's Creation through Scripture and Song, which I think you and your father would enjoy. I love to have it on when I need something peaceful and soothing, especially to calm a restless spirit.

There is a verse that is read, then there is an instrumental of a hymn, then a verse, then a hymn, and so on.

So yes, there is music on it, but because they are hymns they are soothing, and minister to the soul, and if you know the words to the hymns, then those words will be in your mind to drift off to sleep to along with the Scripture.

I have the DVDs too and enjoy them as well. You can watch them with just the music playing in the background, or with Scripture read as well. http://americathebeautifulseries.com/....

Scripture is read by Martin Thompson in a nice calm baritone.

Owen Smith is playing on the piano.

You can get a preview of the DVDs on the site, with the music playing so you can hear what the music is like.

You can buy them singularly, or if you want the set then they do a package deal where you buy the 3 DVDs and get the CD free. http://americathebeautifulseries.com/

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula Shreckhise | 190 comments Hannah wrote: "There is an Alexander Scourby recording...I wouldn't say it's monotone, but it's an older recording and only the newer recording has added the "dramatized" version. That might be what you're lookin..."

We had the Alexander Scourby version years ago! Soooooo good! Love his voice and the KJV is so poetic.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Shreckhise | 190 comments Wendy wrote: "Jane wrote: "Hey y'all, I'm looking for a specific product and have no idea whether it even exists (I may have to create my own -- ugh). Wondering if any of you have ideas. I would like to find a c..."

These sound awesome!

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 114 comments Thank you all for helping! I'm going to order both options and see if they work. I can put them on "repeat" in my bedroom stereo and be a happy camper sleeper!

Hannah, I love his voice, it's perfect! (And I love the KJV.)

Wendy, That cd is lovely. I couldn't get the preview to play on their website, but found it on Amazon and was able to listen to a little bit. (p.s. - I tried falling asleep to some of Tony Evans' sermons on cd. But that didn't work since you know he gets a little loud sometimes!! I've got some of Charles Stanley's sermons on my television dvr, and his voice is good for drifting off to sleep, but then when his message is over the tv channel starts playing and wakes me up!)

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 260 comments Jane wrote: "Thank you all for helping! I'm going to order both options and see if they work. I can put them on "repeat" in my bedroom stereo and be a happy camper sleeper!

Hannah, I love his voice, it's perfe..."

You're welcome! I hope both help, and you can "sleep in heavenly peace!"

(Yes, I can see how Tony's sermons, which are wonderfully enthusiastic weren't helping with the drifting off to sleep! Being woken up by the TV channel too, defeats the object of your beauty sleep too. Hopefully now you'll have 2 good options to choose from!)

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 260 comments Paula wrote: These sound awesome! "

:) They are!

message 19: by AlegnaB † (last edited Apr 22, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments My daughter is so excited. Almost two years ago she drew a picture of YouTuber Rhett of Rhett and Link. After she opened an Instagram account (perhaps a year or so ago), she posted that drawing and others she had done. Two days ago her Rhett drawing was reposted on the official YouTube Instagram account, and there are now more than 104,000 likes on it. The funny thing is that it’s an early drawing by her. She had only just recently started working with colored pencil and was still learning to use them. Her drawing skills and use of colored pencil have improved a lot since then. She hasn’t had art lessons.

message 20: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 26 comments AlegnaB † wrote: "My daughter is so excited. Almost two years ago she drew a picture of YouTuber Rhett of Rhett and Link. After she opened an Instagram account (perhaps a year or so ago), she posted that drawing and..."

Congrats to your daughter!

message 21: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Wow that is awesome AlegnaB!

message 22: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 707 comments Mod
AlegnaB † wrote: "My daughter is so excited. Almost two years ago she drew a picture of YouTuber Rhett of Rhett and Link. After she opened an Instagram account (perhaps a year or so ago), she posted that drawing and..."

AlegnaB- That's amazing- isn't it a joy to see our kids gifts progress? Congrats to your daughter- what a blessing@

message 23: by AlegnaB † (last edited Apr 25, 2018 05:27AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Thanks, y’all. Her drawing now has 107,677 likes and hundreds of nice comments. This has been a great week for her. She made outfits for her guinea pigs and did a photo shoot (she loves photography and creating costumes for her guinea pigs). She tweeted those photos, and they were retweeted from the official The Greatest Showman account.
https://mobile.twitter.com/greatestsh...

Cheryl wrote: "...isn't it a joy to see our kids gifts progress?..."

Yes. A lot of my daughter’s drawings are on our foyer wall. She recently asked me to take down a few of her early ones because they aren’t as good as her later ones. I think the Rhett picture was one she wanted removed. I told her that I didn’t want to take them down because it shows the progression of her skills.

Two LDS missionaries came to visit yesterday, and they were amazed when they stepped into my home and saw her drawings. They had a lot of good things to say about them. They stood there a while, looking at each one and commenting on some of them.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 4 comments Does anyone know of a blogger that would have a list of Biblical fiction books (in Biblical order)?? Like compiling multiple authors and such?? For example, I would start with Adam and His Kin by Ruth Beechick and end with the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye. Not analogies like Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers- a retelling in a different era of the story of Hosea. But the actual Biblical story- like Francine's Lineage of Grace series, Bread of Angels by Tessa Afshar, and Twice Freed by Rebecca St John.
I don't blog or follow many bloggers so my vague google searching is coming up crazy!

message 25: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2013 comments Mod
For those of you who have read The Five Times I Met Myself, will you please peek at this spoiler and answer my question with a simple yes or no? I appreciate your help!

(view spoiler)

Thank you!

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (liahonagirl) | 367 comments Andrea wrote: "For those of you who have read The Five Times I Met Myself, will you please peek at this spoiler and answer my question with a simple yes or no? I appreciate your help!
Thank you!"

Yes

message 27: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2013 comments Mod
Thanks, Kate! I'll mark it down for that category of the genre bingo, then. :)