The Sapphic Squad discussion

Old Reading Months > 18/4 The Miseducation of Cameron Post: Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle (ellexamines) (ellexamines) | 70 comments Mod
Hey guys! This is the new discussion area to put your notes and thoughts on chapters 1-5 of The Miseducation of Cameron Post. That way, we can all discuss even while being at different parts of the book. Please be absolutely free to discuss, reply disagree, share opinions, make friends, etc etc etc - just be polite and you're good.

message 2: by Kaylin (new)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) | 53 comments Mod
Just dug out my copy and ready to start reading! Funny enough, when I read this book the first time it inspired me to create a, "Best-books-I-never-want-to-re-read' shelf on GR, and here I am. It's been quite a while since I've read this though and I'm really curious to see if it's all like I remember. :)

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (ellexamines) (ellexamines) | 70 comments Mod
Kaylin wrote: "Just dug out my copy and ready to start reading! Funny enough, when I read this book the first time it inspired me to create a, "Best-books-I-never-want-to-re-read' shelf on GR, and here I am. It's..."

haha, that's always been my favorite of your shelves. and now you ARE rereading it!

message 4: by Mina 🦋 (new)

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments Kaylin wrote: "Just dug out my copy and ready to start reading! Funny enough, when I read this book the first time it inspired me to create a, "Best-books-I-never-want-to-re-read' shelf on GR, and here I am. It's..."

How cool that you're still gonna re-read this! :)
I'm done with the first 5 chapters and I really like it so far. I saw some reviews saying it's wordy, and I can see that, but I do enjoy it because I did my exchange year in Montana and it's close to my heart. I also like how the writing changes from Summer 1989 to High School 1991-1992 - you can clearly tell that C is a couple of years older.

I wish I could find out more about her parents though. There's a couple of things thrown in here and there, but I would like to be able to picture them more in order to understand who exactly she lost.

message 5: by lacy (new)

lacy white (lacymiri) I can see that this book is def going to be a character driven book and I love those types of books. But I must mention that it's a bit on the wordy side. There are stories within stories which get kind of confusing if you aren't paying super close attention. But for the most part, it's been a nice trip through Cam's life.

What I really love about this book so far is how grief is portrayed. I lost a grandma at around her age. I was close with her but not super close but it still left a hole in my heart. What Cam is going through was kind of similar to what I went through. The loss of a loved one is something no one really ever gets over.

Surprisingly I'm not super bothered about the religious undertones in this book. Stuff like that can really irritate me but so far, I'm not bothered by it. I must note that I, too, had an Extreme Teen bible. lol. Before I stopped practicing Christianity, it was my most treasured bible. Because I could actually understand the stories and everything.

I'm glad that this is the book that has been chosen. I can't wait to finish it and see the movie. I saw from the cover poster that Chloe Grace Moretz is potentially in it and I love her so much!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethhunter) | 7 comments lacy [a ravenclaw library] wrote: "I can see that this book is def going to be a character driven book and I love those types of books. But I must mention that it's a bit on the wordy side. There are stories within stories which get..."

Ah, yes, the Extreme Teen Bibles 😂 I can totally relate to the religious stuff and I want to throttle Aunt Ruth at this point. The whole 'fetus mobile' and her enforced piety is getting on my nerves.

message 7: by Tainá (new)

Tainá | 1 comments Life's been keeping me busy lately and I was only able to start this today. I'm enjoying the writing style and character driven books are my favorites.

I'm glad this was the first book picked for the group. It's been on my tbr for years but I never started because the religious undertone puts me off. Ruth has barely done anything and I already want to punch her. Let's see how I'll be doing by the end.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 12 comments I started reading this yesterday and am enjoying it so far (I am already on page 158). I am really loving Cameron! Every time I start reading, I feel like she is there talking to me. The story is keeping me engaged too and I am definitely committed to the characters.

message 9: by Nat (new)

Nat (natelizzzabeth) | 5 comments I loved the way the characters were introduced in the first few chapters, it all felt incredibly real. I've never set foot in Montana but the writing style created a beautiful and vivid image in my head of being a kid in a hot American summer.

Cameron is immediately such a likeable character to me and I found the scenes between her and Irene so charming and just cute like wow!!

And I think that we can all agree that Ruth needs to whiz far far away in her fetus mobile and never return.

message 10: by Alan-Without-Poe (new)

Alan-Without-Poe | 1 comments It's so nice to read all your thoughts about the book. And i come with one of my one. There's one part where Cameron says:

[...]he knew every movie I took out of that store, watching me, watching me pick them up and bring them back. It felt like in knowing that, he knew more about me than anyone else right then[...]

And i don't know but that reminded me a little bit to how things work here on Goodreads.

It's hard to go out to the world and randomly scream at the face of a stranger "hey, look, i'm reading such and such book and these are my thoughts."

And my family and freinds. Well, they have their own life and i can't tell'em about all the books i read, haha.

message 11: by Kaylin (new)

Mina wrote: "Kaylin wrote: "Just dug out my copy and ready to start reading! Funny enough, when I read this book the first time it inspired me to create a, "Best-books-I-never-want-to-re-read' shelf on GR, and ..."

I definitely agree that it's a little wordy. I feel like each chapter contains a lot of paragraphs that could have been cut, and maybe the whole story condensed a bit? But I also loved Cameron's rambling sort of thought-process, and it makes her feel more real to me.

message 12: by Kaylin (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "lacy [a ravenclaw library] wrote: "I can see that this book is def going to be a character driven book and I love those types of books. But I must mention that it's a bit on the wordy side. There a..."

lacy [a ravenclaw library] wrote: "I can see that this book is def going to be a character driven book and I love those types of books. But I must mention that it's a bit on the wordy side. There are stories within stories which get..."

I had an Extreme Teen Bible too, before I got to upgrade to one of the 'Modern Women of Faith' versions that was all purple and shiny. THAT was an exciting day at youth-group

I'm also no longer religious, but Aunt Ruth still hits me hard. She doesn't feel like a caricature, but instead like someone I'd encounter/have encountered IRL. It's very well written, even if it gets under my skin.

IIRC, Chloe Grace Moretz plays Cam, and despite the film winning at Sundance, it still hasn't been distributed??

message 13: by Kaylin (new)

Natalie wrote: "I loved the way the characters were introduced in the first few chapters, it all felt incredibly real. I've never set foot in Montana but the writing style created a beautiful and vivid image in my..."

Kayla wrote: "I started reading this yesterday and am enjoying it so far (I am already on page 158). I am really loving Cameron! Every time I start reading, I feel like she is there talking to me. The story is k..."

Tainá wrote: "Life's been keeping me busy lately and I was only able to start this today. I'm enjoying the writing style and character driven books are my favorites.

I'm glad this was the first book picked for ..."

Completely agree! I love how easy it is to relate to Cameron is and how deep we get inside her head. It's definitely character driven, but the MC is complex enough it works

The setting is also so well encompassed I feel like I have to put sunscreen on every time I pick up the book

message 14: by Kaylin (new)

Alan-Without-Poe wrote: "It's so nice to read all your thoughts about the book. And i come with one of my one. There's one part where Cameron says:

[...]he knew every movie I took out of that store, watching me, watching ..."

I'm glad GR exists so we can all scream at each other about these books!

message 15: by lacy (new)

lacy white (lacymiri) Kaylin wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "lacy [a ravenclaw library] wrote: "I can see that this book is def going to be a character driven book and I love those types of books. But I must mention that it's a bit on the w..."

I admit that I only saw the poster and got super excited. lol.