Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)
This topic is about Lake Silence
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Lake Silence (The Others #6) by Anne Bishop [Start Date: May 11,2018.]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
In this thrilling and suspenseful fantasy, set in the world of the New York Times bestselling Others series, Vicki DeVine and her lodger, the shapeshifter Aggie Crowe, stumble onto a dead body . . . and find themselves enmeshed in danger and dark secrets.

Human laws do not apply in the territory controlled by the Others–vampires, shapeshifters, and paranormal beings even more deadly. And this is a fact that humans should never, ever forget . . .

After her divorce, Vicki DeVine took over a rustic resort near Lake Silence, in a human town that is not human controlled. Towns like Vicki’s have no distance from the Others, the dominant predators that rule most of the land and all of the water throughout the world. And when a place has no boundaries, you never really know what’s out there watching you.

Vicki was hoping to find a new career and a new life. But when her lodger, Aggie Crowe–one of the shapeshifting Others–discovers a dead body, Vicki finds trouble instead. The detectives want to pin the man’s death on her, despite the evidence that nothing human could have killed the victim. As Vicki and her friends search for answers, things get dangerous–and it’ll take everything they have to stay alive.

✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀

We’re thinking of doing a “buddy read” of this one in May. Early. Even if it DOES NOT continue with Meg and Simon. **sigh** What dates are good for you ladies?

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) I've been looking forward to reading this one. Anything after the 8th works for me.

message 4: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I read in it March while I was away. I'll lurk.

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace I'm on the waiting list for this at my library.

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m in!

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It came in the mail last week. I'm dying to read it... but I'm being good, since I'm the one who ask you all to wait until May.

message 8: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I haven’t read it because we’ve read the previous ones together.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know. Trying to be good. It worked for one of my SOS Bingo shelves...but I resisted. LOL!

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments **hangs head in shame**

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "**hangs head in shame**"

LOL!

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Hey ladies, did you forget about this?

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yup.

message 14: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments So, when do we start?

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited May 08, 2018 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm in the middle of a book, but I could read this in a day or two.

message 16: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited May 08, 2018 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Thursday or Friday?

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sounds good.

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments LK, you ready for this?

message 19: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I started and will probably read up to Ch. 10 since the chapters don’t seem to be long.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm ready! I probably won't start until tonight. I have company coming all day today.

message 21: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ok

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay... I just bought the audiobook so I can listen while I prepare food for my company. I didn't want to go the audio route, as I'm not crazy about the narrator, but wanted to dive into this book... need my hands free!

message 23: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments :) How far along are you?

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments End of Chapter 8. Whoa. Really enjoying this one. Love the endearing term "oil slick." LOL! Totally fits.

I do preferring reading this series... and I've just been listening. I feel like I want to "re-read" what I've read.

I'm going to a concert tonight, so won't get anymore read. Will dive in again tomorrow.

message 25: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I agree, this book is very hard to put down! I’m almost done but I won’t comment because I know you’ll read the spoilers! ;)

message 26: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Her ex is an Asshat!

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How far are you? Can I comment?

message 28: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited May 13, 2018 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m done. What did you think? I’m not sure what to rate this.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited May 13, 2018 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I enjoyed reading it but it was in the same mould as the other books.
An innocent naive and kind-hearted (Meg/Vicki) moves between the Others. They feel protective and punish any human who tries to harm her! I didn't think it added anything new to series.

Do you think there was a love mild attraction triangle?

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Did you like Vicki's character?

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments When do you want to start The dark calling?

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Oooh see what we have here : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay. I started over at the beginning... reading this time. Just finished Chapter 19. I'm really enjoying it. I do agree with ShoSho, to some extent; the "mold" is the pretty much the same. However, I don't mind as I really love being back in this world.

I was freaking out when Grimshaw checked Vicki's back door to see if it had been picked.

Still wondering what exactly was said in the patrol car to Vicki... but then, maybe I don't want to know, if it is along the lines of what Oil Slick said to her in the bank.

I like Vicki. However, I think her thoughts/POV that we are privy to are not what comes out towards others. It is a bit.... well... "jarring" is not the quite the right word. But the contrast between the two makes it seem like they aren't the same person.

Dying to have the Lady of the Lake make an appearance.

Love the Sproingers. I wanted to see the the photo of their pyramid myself. LOL!

Back to reading!

message 34: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Did you like Vicki's character?"

At first I did, I thought she was a nice contrast to Meg because she came across as sassy but then that isn’t reflected in her interactions with others. So yes, that was jarring and while I understand that people with past trauma may react the way Vicki did, that’s not what I wanted or was expecting here.

message 35: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "I enjoyed reading it but it was in the same mould as the other books.
An innocent naive and kind-hearted (Meg/Vicki) moves between the Others. They feel protective and punish any human who tries t..."

Love triangle: I think that the author is keeping her options open. At times it seems like a square Grimshaw/Farrow/Vicki/Ilya... Although Vicki is clear that she is not interested in sex. Another similarity to Meg...

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: " I think that the author is keeping her options open ....square Grimshaw/Farrow/Vicki/Ilya"

Yep exactly my thoughts! The author hasn't decided which way to go yet so she's keeping her options open.

I didn't like to read about Vicki. I wanted her more empowered. she's just too broken and she didn't have any strong characteristics about her.

message 37: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments She was missing Meg’s self awareness. Meg knows she’s broken and that she escaped an awful life, but she is determined to overcome her past and not let it define her. She makes a conscious effort to get better. She’s not always successful but she’s trying. The sense I got from Vicki was that she knows her past was awful but rather than deal with it she keeps burying it until it comes and bites her in the butt. Then she has a pity party and when Farrow called her on it, she had a panic attack. That right there was a big CLUE that she needs help.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments You haven't decided on the rating yet?

message 39: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments It’s a 3, because I did like the potential here and I loved the Lady of the Lake.

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, I totally disagree, Gisela. (Is this a first, ladies?) I loved it!

Sure, I "liked" Meg more. But I thought Vicki was stronger than people give her credit for. We know her husband was verbally abusive towards her, but there is more to her past, what with those broken bones. I'm guessing she was abused as a child; people who "lock" their mind away in a "closet" have a history of this. And, if that is true, it shows that she did have strength to survive all that - developed a coping mechanism. I also liked her humor and that she often, unintentionally, cracked Ilya up.

We may never know Vicki's past, though, because I think AB takes us to another setting for the next book. Right?

Loved the characters in this one. Sure, I was very attached to the Lakeside characters, especially after the first five books. Having them mentioned only made me long for more of an update that the brief hints we got. But these were interesting, well-developed characters, too.

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, I totally disagree, Gisela. (Is this a first, ladies?) I loved it!

"

Hmm I'd say so ;)

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "We may never know Vicki's past, though, because I think AB takes us to another setting for the next book. Right?
"

I thought we'll have the same characters for the next few books!! That's disappointing!

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments
Wild Country by Anne Bishop Wild Country, by Anne Bishop

Q. Will you be writing more books about the Others?

A. Yes. I’m currently working on a story set in Bennett, which will be released in March 2019.

message 44: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments That’s a bummer, I hoped to spend more time in Sproing and Lake Silence.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments But I thought you two weren't crazy about the book?

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 3 stars means I liked it but didn't love it. To me it felt more like a reread!
I loved the Sproingers! I would love to read more about them.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Loved them, too. Love the cheer-leading pyramid. LOL! What did you think about the carrots (view spoiler)

message 48: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments What ShoSho said, I liked it but was left feeling that it could have been more. A lot was left unexplored. There is so much room to develop Vicki’s character that I actually feel a bit cheated. I kinda hoped that Vicky would be a bit like Miss Marple and play a more active role in solving the puzzle of the TCC. About the sproingers (view spoiler)

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good to know, G.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Finally got this from the library and read it. I loved Ilya, Grimshaw and the Sproingers but I wasn't crazy about Vicky. I really wanted a stronger heroine this go around. I loved Meg but it would have been nice to have a female heroine that was completely different from Meg.

« previous 1

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wild Country (other topics)