Reading the Detectives discussion

The Murder at Sissingham Hall (Angela Marchmont Mystery #1)
This topic is about The Murder at Sissingham Hall
Group reads > April 2018 - The Murder at Sissingham Hall by Clara Benson

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8313 comments Mod
Welcome to our discussion of The Murder at Sissingham Hall (An Angela Marchmont Mystery) by Clara Benson.

The Murder at Sissingham Hall (An Angela Marchmont Mystery) (Volume 1) by Clara Benson

This is the first in the popular Angela Marchmont series, written in the present day but set during the 1920s.

Please don't post spoilers in this thread, but keep them for the spoiler thread.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1808 comments I did enjoy this book, as I found the characters were interesting. Considering that the book wasn't written at the date it was portraying, I think it did very well, and was not surprised that author managed to trick a lot of people.

message 3: by Judy (last edited Mar 31, 2018 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree it's very well done. There's an interesting piece on the author's website where she explains why she initially pretended this was written in the period - I get the impression this was something she fairly soon came to regret!

http://clarabenson.com/about/authors-...

I was also interested to see that she has just brought out a prequel short story, The Man on the Train: An Angela Marchmont Short Story.

Susan | 9297 comments Mod
I had read this before, but I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I definitely want to read on.

I've read the next 3 and I think they are even better than this first one. They are rather different, because Angela is the central character and they don't have the first-person narration of this one - but I did really enjoy the first-person narration here and liked the character of Charles.

Good to hear, Judy. I will certainly read the next one.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1808 comments I did think the first- person narrative put a different twist on it

message 8: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell | 258 comments I picked this up on my Kindle earlier today. Free is always good. Looking forward to reading it soon.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1270 comments I read this last year and did enjoy it. Because I read it so recently I probably won't re-read it.

message 10: by Tania (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tania | 372 comments I will try to start this one in a day or two.

Good to hear, Tania. This book is still free on kindle, if anyone is keen to join in.

Sandy | 2495 comments Mod
I have the next two on my kindle so will probably read those at least. I am interested to see how the books change when Angela becomes the main character and the first person narration is dropped. I expect they become much more traditional and I will miss seeing the world through Charles' eyes.

Sandy | 2495 comments Mod
I finished the book in a single evening and enjoyed the read but have posted more complete comments in the spoiler thread.

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1104 comments Sandy wrote: "I have the next two on my kindle so will probably read those at least. I am interested to see how the books change when Angela becomes the main character and the first person narration is dropped. ..."

Me too- am looking forward to reading those.

I am also keen to read the next in the series.

Tara  | 740 comments I enjoyed this more than I expected to, and I would be interested in reading more in the series (although if I stacked all of my currently reading books in a pile, it would surely topple over). Angela's role in the story reminded me of some of the Miss Marple stories in their peripheral nature, which is an interesting ploy. I thought the characters were well developed, and I liked Charles in particular. Hopefully him and Sylvia show up in future stories!

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 09, 2019 08:20AM) (new) - added it

Elizabeth (Alaska) This is free today in the US for the Kindle.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 702 comments Thanks, Elizabeth! I've been interested in that one.