Books I Loathed discussion

Are You Ever Ashamed of Liking a Book?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia | 40 comments Over the years, I have had really judgey friends who disproved of some of my favourite books (namely the Harry Potter series, which my friend’s mother described as “devil work”; we are no longer friends!). I have moved past that, but there are still books that I like but I am kinda embarrassed to tell people that I like them. For instance, I really enjoyed The Golden Compass trilogy, but I wouldn’t admit that to my more religious friends. My parents aren’t judgey, but usually I won’t tell them everything that is going on in the YA books, especially if it is something that I myself am slightly uncomfortable to be reading.

Does this happen to anyone else? Do you ever keep your reading preferences to yourself because you know that someone else really loathes your favourite books?

message 2: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 3 comments Oh without a doubt. I've had to deal with being ashamed of liking books period, because my old friends used to think reading was lame, and make jokes about how they hadn't picked up a book in years.

message 3: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 78 comments Oh yeah. Evidently science fiction in high school is a no no, not that I cared.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia | 40 comments Oh and... Lord of the Flies. It was my favourite high school book, although it often appears on “loathed titles” lists.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 40 comments Lori S. wrote: "Oh yeah. Evidently science fiction in high school is a no no, not that I cared."

Science fiction is great! Have you read any Ray Bradbury? I wish we would have read science fiction instead of Shakespeare!

message 6: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 78 comments Julia wrote: "Lori S. wrote: "Oh yeah. Evidently science fiction in high school is a no no, not that I cared."

Science fiction is great! Have you read any Ray Bradbury? I wish we would have read science fiction..."

We did read Ray Bradbury's The Veldt and a couple of his other short stories in English. At the time, I felt like the teacher was trying to destroy my love of SF because of that and The Lottery by Shirley Jackson (shudder). Fortunately, I'd been fully inoculated by reading Frank Herbert and Alan Dean Foster, so that ploy failed. LOL However, I do love Bradbury's The Halloween Tree . We covered Shakespeare too though.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia | 40 comments Really? I like The Veldt... but to each their own :)

message 8: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 78 comments Julia wrote: "Really? I like The Veldt... but to each their own :)"

I came to appreciate The Veldt after seeing this video by deadmau5.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 40 comments I actually did not *loathe* the Twilight series. I mean, they weren’t great, but I didn’t *hate* them. But I was super ashamed to read them in public! I got them all as gifts, so I figured I would give them a try... but I think I used a separate book cover whenever I brought them to school!

message 10: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 78 comments Julia wrote: "I actually did not *loathe* the Twilight series. I mean, they weren’t great, but I didn’t *hate* them. But I was super ashamed to read them in public! I got them all as gifts, so I figured I would ..."

LOL

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Feldman (rachelwf) | 12 comments Kind of. TAMPA by Alissa Nutting is a fave of mine.