Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Interested in LGBT genre

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lissa (new)

Lissa | 4 comments I am going to typecast myself a bit here. I read many typical romance, fantasy, sci-fi and other books for years. I enjoyed them and especially loved those with unique societies or characters that were not perfect. Having said that, I came across a m/m romance some time ago and was hooked. The genre tends to offer exactly what I like.

I spent most of my college career proofing and organizing papers for friends and classmates. I like to think I've got a knack for finding repetitive words and statements, odd syntax, and places with information that needs to be fleshed out or pared down. And being such an avid reader I can give not only my personal impressions of a work, but also a bit of insight into what is unique or exciting versus what has been done to the point of boredom.

I am always honest. If you cannot handle an honest opinion, don't ask me for one. If you are looking at specific things in your work you want an opinion for, let me know. I will never charge, as I am not a professional, and though I will probably point out minor things as they jump out at me, I am not an editor. I tend to be OCD when looking over a piece and often can mark up a work quite a bit. But that is just to point things out, not to say I am the know all and be all of your work. It is still your work.

Feel free to message me if you have questions. Barring life circumstances I can usually get through a decent sized piece in two or three days. I would let you know ahead of time an eta of your work. I can work with just about any format you choose to send your writing.

Happy writing everyone!

Lissa

message 2: by Lissa (last edited Aug 24, 2014 08:56PM) (new)

Lissa | 4 comments Well, over the last month I have gone through about half a dozen pieces of writing. Most of which I enjoyed immensely, and a few I got a bit guilty returning with comments. Overall I have gotten some good, positive feedback on how I do things.

Since my introduction, I've really found that I just can't let edit issues slide by me. I am compelled to note it. Call it OCD. So I will say again, I'm not a professional and cannot guarantee catching 100% of edit issues, I'm going to toss minor editing into my bag of mixed tricks for Beta reading. If I'm going to do it anyway, I might as well own the title.

And since there is no Thread on Betas Thanking Authors I could find...

I just wanted to thank all those who have allowed me to be a part of their process. Thank you my dear authors, for letting me glimpses a bit of yourselves, and your writing. I hope my services have in anyway helped you realize your visions.

Lissa :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I sent Lissa my 70K manuscript and she sent it back within a week with professional edits, invaluable feedback and great suggestions. She found the holes in the storyline, and told me what worked well and didnt work so well. She could charge a lot of money for her expertise, so I am so very grateful she did this for me. She has a great passion for a good story:) Thank you!! Susanne

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) I also want to thank you for your feedback! :) Will send more when I write more in this "genre"! :D

message 5: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Supinger | 10 comments Would you be interested in a LGBT fantasy? I'm working on an R&R and could use some feedback :) I could send you my query, if you're interested.

AM

message 6: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Prince (HDLynn) | 8 comments AM,

I sold an LGBT fantasy, so yes, the interest is there, and I could definitely give you feedback.

HD Lynn

message 7: by Lissa (new)

Lissa | 4 comments A.M.
I love a good Fantasy read. Please feel free to send me a pm with some details. :-)

message 8: by Mocha (new)

Mocha Pennington | 55 comments I've completed a manuscript at 90k titled "The Angel at the Devil's Gate", which is LGBT-themed, but does not define atmosphere of the novel. I love honestly and like to be critiqued more so than praised. This manuscript needs proofreading/grammar and of course comments, both good and bad.

Synopsis

Black-clad foster child, Angel, is beautiful, mysterious, and exudes menace as if it were a personal scent.

Eli’s childhood of neglect and abuse has turned him to stone and gives him comfort in violence.

Apart they are society’s outcast. Together they bring to life a romance birthed from darkness, a romance that leaves debris of death on their road to salvation.

message 9: by Lissa (new)

Lissa | 4 comments Mocha, I PM'd you.

Everyone, I have been blessed to receive quite a few manuscripts recently, and am doing my best to work through them all in a timely fashion. Having said that, coupled with a bit of a brake, and several in line awaiting me, I will not be able to get to new material until next month. (Those who have PM'd me already: you should have heard from me regarding an estimated time frame.)

I'm happy to add more to the list, but just wanted to be sure there are no false pretenses that I can take on new MS's now and return them in a few days.

Thank you for your patience, and your continued patronage (though technically speaking, I work for free).

Lissa

message 10: by Walter (new)

Walter Hopgood (walterhpdx) I'm just finishing an action/adventure/SciFi novel that's 85,000 words long. The two leads are a gay couple, though there's no explicit sex scenes (just kissing, etc). This is my first fiction novel, and I'd love someone to go through it, at least as a test read to tell me what's missing, etc.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Walter wrote: "I'm just finishing an action/adventure/SciFi novel that's 85,000 words long. The two leads are a gay couple, though there's no explicit sex scenes (just kissing, etc). This is my first fiction nov..."

ahem... I know this is Lissa's thread, but since she's swamped (also with my stuff, LOL), I can give it a try if you wish... Like - right now, since I'll soon be off for a much awaited vacation. PM me with details! :)

And thanks again Lissa for the great job, I'll make sure to give you a free ebook when it comes out (sometime in November or December)! :)

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
Lissa,

I have a YA romance with a gay protagonist that will need betas soon. If you want to tack my name on the end of your list, I'd be grateful! You can PM me re: when/if you can get to it.

Thanks so much,
Lena