Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2018 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
June 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2443 comments I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (pub 1966, 126 pp).

message 3: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1463 comments Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe, 56 pages, first published 1604.

Wiki: Marlowe was the foremost Elizabethan tragedian of his day. He greatly influenced William Shakespeare, who was born in the same year as Marlowe and who rose to become the pre-eminent Elizabethan playwright after Marlowe's mysterious early death.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 94 pages, (written in 1000s, this translation first published in the 1982)

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Apr 01, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4737 comments Mod
I nominate The Return of the Soldier 112 pages.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Sara wrote: "I nominate The Return of the Soldier 112 pages."

I’d like to second The Return of the Soldier.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1548 comments I will third Return of the Soldier.

message 9: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll second Return of the Soldier :)

message 10: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 743 comments Also seconding The Return of the Soldier.

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Michele wrote: "I nominate The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell"

I second The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, published in 1924 and 48 pages.

message 12: by Zoe (new)

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments I think we've already read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Look on the short story bookshelf.

message 15: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "I nominate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button published August 14, 2007. 64 pages"

This was the Short Story read in May 2017, please select something else

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina I'll second Return of the Soldier.

message 17: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 548 comments I'll second The Return of the Soldier also.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 57 comments Melissa wrote: "I nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 94 pages, (written in 1000s, this translation first published in the 1982)"

I second The Diary of Lady Murasaki.

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (pub 1966, 126 pp)."

I second this.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments I will nominate THE EYES by Edith Wharton The Eyes Edith Wharton --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Zoe wrote: "I nominate 10 Days in a Madhouse by Nellie Bly"

I second this

message 22: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson Any chance Death in Venice by Thomas Mann would pass?

message 23: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson If Death in Venice is too long then I nominate Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett.

message 24: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I nominate The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol, 48 pages, published 1842.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2443 comments Vicki wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (pub 1966, 126 pp)."

I second this."

Thanks Vicki :)

message 26: by Tammy (new)

message 27: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 536 comments I second Waiting for Godot.

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I second The Overcoat.

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyyy) | 4 comments I second The Diary of Lady Murasaki.

message 30: by WhoDakka (new)

WhoDakka | 4 comments Marina wrote: "I nominate The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol, 48 pages, published 1842."
I second The Overcoat.

message 31: by Pink (new)

message 32: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1184 comments Same procedure as every month: I second the Return of the Soldier.

message 33: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Leni wrote: "Same procedure as every month: I second the Return of the Soldier."

Haha, we'll get there in the end! I ended up reading this a month or two ago and would love to discuss it with the group. It's got to win at some time!

message 34: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 548 comments You missed at least one - I also seconded The Return of the Soldier in message #18.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2443 comments It'd be great if you could fix the spelling of my name, Bob.

message 36: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Zoe wrote: "I think we've already read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Look on the short story bookshelf."

Aha. In that case, I'll second Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2443 comments Michele wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I think we've already read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Look on the short story bookshelf."

Aha. In that case, I'll second [book:Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are ..."

Thanks Michele :)

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Drees | 8 comments I second dr Faustus.

message 39: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe, 56 pages, first published 1604."

I'm curious. Seconded!

message 40: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Lori wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I nominate 10 Days in a Madhouse by Nellie Bly"

I second this"

Thanks!

message 41: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Pink wrote: "I'll second Ten Days in a Mad-House"

Thanks!

message 42: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Will waiting for Rebecca West turn out like Waiting for Godot?
Another second for The Return of the Soldier from me.

message 43: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments I would like to second Ten days in a mad house.

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
A quick reminder, we have 10 days of nominating left, plenty of time for placing nominations. Remember, if you nominate a story and it is not seconded, you can withdraw it and select something else. You are obligated to your nomination only after someone seconds it. Below is listed of some authors that have written short stories, not that we don’t have good choices already. But rather than just collecting seconds on the current nine nominations, maybe something written by these or other authors will spur a few more selections.

Ambrose Bierce, Anton Chekhov, Bret Harte, D.H. Lawrence, Dorothy Parker, Edith Wharton, Gertrude Atherton, Jack London, James Joyce, Kate Chopin, Katherine Mansfield, Mark Twain, Susan Glaspell, O. Henry,

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) Susan wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 94 pages, (written in 1000s, this translation first published in the 1982)"

I second The Diar..."

Cheers!

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) Tracy wrote: "I second The Diary of Lady Murasaki."

Tammy wrote: "I'll second The Diary of Lady Murasaki"

Thank you!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second "Waiting for Godot."

message 48: by rachid (new)

rachid  idjiou | 11 comments Lady Susan
by Jane Austen https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 49: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 05, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
rachid wrote: "Lady Susan
by Jane Austen https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9..."

This was the short story read for November 2016, please select something else.

message 50: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield. Bob, I am nominating the story "The Garden Party." Maybe there is a better link to it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.