Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
This topic is about The Skull Throne
Demon Cycle > #4 (April) THE SKULL THRONE--Finished Reading *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 873 comments Mod
This is the place for those who have finished reading The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett, Book 4 in the Demon Cycle. What did you think?

*****WARNING—Spoilers Likely!*****

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 873 comments Mod
7/10
Perhaps because I read this book in spurts, this entry in the Demon Cycle did not seem as tightly constructed as some of the previous books in the series. Momentous events seemed oddly juxtaposed with minor ones, although it is possible that the minor ones will prove to be important in the overall unfolding of the story.

And death... there is a lot of death.

message 3: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Apr 08, 2018 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 873 comments Mod
YES, THIS IS THE SPOILER THREAD for The Skull Throne, so BEWARE!

So I still can't see killing off Thamos (and most of his family). And Rojer!! And several key Krasian characters: Jayan, Aleverak, Maji, Asukaji, Melan, Asavi, and Ashan.

And will Abban end up wishing he were dead?

Almost overshadowed is Arlen's plan to go to the Core with Jardir, after capturing a Mind, along with Renna, and 2 Krasians whose identities I keep getting confused. The discussions/arguments between Arlen & Jardir until they agree on a plan of sorts were excellent.

John | 136 comments The death were surprising, but that was at least in part because the Demon Cycle didn't seem like THAT KIND of series. It was kind of a Ned Stark or Red Wedding moment, shifting this from a series where everyone you care about has "plot armor" to one where things can go horribly, horribly wrong for characters you like. But as opposed to Game of Thrones, where you see in the first book that it's that kind of series, it's taken us four books to really raise the stakes like that.

That said, killing off the Krasian characters didn't have that same impact, it was more of a clearing of the board to both simplify (the number of characters) and complicate (fracturing the Krasians and throwing them into chaos).

message 5: by Adrian (new) - added it

Adrian | 12 comments The first three books centralised a lot of the story on the point of view of a different character on the same timeline of events, whilst this installment made a change and had a number of storylines involving the support cast and not a great deal of main storyline progression.

It was an enjoyable read, but knowing that the series is to be finished in 5 books it almost seemed like a dedicated tome to clearing the board in order to finalise the main storyline in the fifth installment. Had Peter V Brett committed to finalizing this series in 5 books prior to this release?

Just when I was beginning to invest some real interest in Rojer's storyline arc ... oh well. (view spoiler).

Suzanne | 212 comments Yeah I was surprised by the deaths. I kind of feel like this and book 5 were split into 2 - with kind of the side group and main group. However, I haven't read book 5 yet, so I could be completely wrong. I will read it sometime this year, I'm just not so compelled by this series that I can read the books back to back.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Skull Throne (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter V. Brett (other topics)