Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Holiday Weekend

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday weekend, or just a wonderful weekend. May it be meaningful, soulful, connective, and joyful for all.

So for Anita and Book Concierge and anyone else, I wanted to share my menu again this year so you may all feel free to Salivate.

Appetizers:

Potato Knishes for Passover
Sweet and Sour Soup
Mock Kishke
Mock Chopped Liver
Hummus
Baba Ganouj
Charoses - (Apples, nuts, wine, cinnamon sugar)

Meal:

Sweet and Sour Brisket
Fig and Pomegranate Chicken
Butternut Squash Risotto
Green Beans Almandine

Dessert:

Double Chocolate Pudding

And whatever my guests bring to share.....

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It sounds lovely Amy! Here in our household we have been overtaken by chocolate fever for Easter. We are hosting a get together for my family on Easter Monday but I confess that we are outsourcing the catering!

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4971 comments I have never heard of mock chopped liver! What is that?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Vegetarian chipped liver. Like it’s not the real thing, but it tastes similar, and some say better. My secret recipe: mushrooms, walnuts, onion, sweet peas, hard boiled egg, and salt and pepper in the processor, and refrigerate. Delicious!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Amy wrote: "Vegetarian chipped liver. Like it’s not the real thing, but it tastes similar, and some say better. My secret recipe: mushrooms, walnuts, onion, sweet peas, hard boiled egg, and salt and pepper in ..."

I'm going to have to make this!!

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8322 comments It's just me at my house and I hate cooking, but given that it's a long weekend, I will likely set up my slow cooker tomorrow or Monday (I have Monday off, as well), and get a stew going. That will give me lots of leftovers. :-)

Happy Easter or Passover, everyone!

message 7: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5765 comments Wow! Somebody is doing some cooking!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Starting on this we potato soup and a risotto.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments My extended family (aunts, uncle, cousins) has over a hundred people. Usually around 50-60 show up for each holiday. We roast a pig on the smoker for Easter and it tastes amazing. Can't wait for it tomorrow and strawberry pie. Happy Easter or Passover to everyone!

message 10: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments My dad had surgery on Thursday (nothing at all big, he's completely fine, just some regular maintenance that had to be done) so we're doing absolutely nothing for Easter! I spent the day home alone working on my resume and stuff because I'm going to start applying for jobs soon, and tomorrow I'm having (a regular-sized) dinner at my parents', and that'll be the extent of our celebrations!

And since tomorrow is April 1st, Camp NaNo begins, so I'll be writing on Easter!

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Looks amazing Amy!!! I bet it was fabulous. Just reading the menu makes me so hungry.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments I only had to make hors d'oevres this year.

Spiced roasted nuts
Burrata stuffed cherry tomatoes
Turkey sausage stuffed mushrooms

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5798 comments Fig and Pomegranate Chicken has captured my attention ... care to share the recipe?

Also the Double Chocolate Pudding recipe?

As for Hubby and me ... just the two of us, so no great plans, but I did manage to do all the shopping for today and tomorrow's meals today. (I usually go to the market every day, and shop for what we'll eat that day.) Anyway ... tonight it's ham, parsley boiled potatoes, brussels sprouts and a caesar salad. Tomorrow is chicken thighs w/ olives, tomates and zucchini over noodles, and a caprese salad. I've got raspberries and pears for dessert. And always some ice cream in the freezer.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Wishing a blessed, happy Easter and passover to all who are honoring the holidays.

Today I cooked (well am still cooking) and basically made a duplicate of Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings. Not very creative in comparison to some of the menus listed here but I wanted to free up some space in the freezer and cook the extra turkey I bought in December. At least we'll have leftovers for a few days, lol.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellie wrote: "My dad had surgery on Thursday (nothing at all big, he's completely fine, just some regular maintenance that had to be done) so we're doing absolutely nothing for Easter! I spent the day home alone..."

Glad your dad is doing well! Enjoy your creative writing.

message 16: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2813 comments Happy Spring! April Fools! Blessed holidays to all.

I'm on deviled egg duty. I'll go to my brother's house tomorrow to get overdosed on noisy little boys. (4 grandnephews) They're cute and I love them and they make me so grateful to come home to my quiet house.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments Celebrating Easter with my sisters at the middle sisters-but I
am the only one who knows how to correctly make the Polish sausage and Kapusta-so I have been cooking (approx 15 lbs) all day. My dog has been sampling and will probably be sick later on this evening-Wishing all a beautiful day whatever you are celebrate!

message 18: by Tracy (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments Ham balls for Easter this year, but my mother gets to make them. I’m on salad duty. I’m thinking coleslaw, and a pasta salad with light balsamic dressing.

Amy, I’d love to hear about the fig and pomegranate chicken. That sounds amazing!

Happy Passover or Easter to those celebrating!
Hey- your shoes are untied...April Fool!

message 19: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments Family just about to arrive for lunch here - lamb shanks in red wine sauce on a bed of mashed potato and carrots...

message 20: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 491 comments No plans here, other than packing for my move on Thursday/Friday.

I went to some of the Final Four festivities yesterday after work and my legs are killing me from all the walking. LOL!

message 21: by JoLene (last edited Apr 01, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments My husband and I just got back from a friend’s wedding this evening. It’s out of town, so we will be road tripping home tomorrow with no plans for dinner. Instead I will re-read this post and live vicariously through all of y’alls celebrations!

Wishing you wonderful weekend no matter what you are celebrating!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Hope everyone’s Easters are beautiful today. We just drove my parents to the airport, and it’s been a crazy week with spending it not just preparing for Passover, but doing a hell of a lot of work and planning for my second son’s bar mitzvah in less than nine weeks. Nine from yesterday, and less I’m miscounting. Our beautiful invitations go out tomorrow. So today is all about Putting away Passover linens and dishes, recouping for lost work last week, finally finishing the taxes, more bar mitzvah prep, and writing a review of the Pearl Sister.

The Fig and pomegranate chicken is the easiest thing in the world to make. I buy the boneless skinless chicken breasts and I cut a package of two into 4 or 5. So three packages will do if you have 15 people. I put the breasts in a pan with a little olive oil and I sear them on both sides, with a little sea salt and pepper. Then into different dishes, I have fig preserves, and either a pomegranate sauce that I get from the Russian market nearby, or there is a jar of red raspberry and pomegranate jelly that you can find in the supermarket. So I brush each one on both sides and all around with either the fig or the pomegranate jelly

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Amy wrote: "Hope everyone’s Easters are beautiful today. We just drove my parents to the airport, and it’s been a crazy week with spending it not just preparing for Passover, but doing a hell of a lot of work ..."

YUM!!!! I want to try that.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Forgive me, I got cut off. Then you put the chicken pieces decorated by color into a greased cookware. Are use all of oil spray for everything I make. So you spray your cookware, arrange by color, and more than one layer is fine, and then I put in a can of mandarin oranges obviously strained, and some chopped or diced onion around. If you like or if you had made your jelly more liquid by adding honey your water you can pour those sauces over to. And it’s OK if the fig in a pomegranate get mixed because they go well together. And for those of you who are following the theme, fig and pomegranate or two of the seven species of what grows in Israel. So they really work well for Jewish holidays especially. And they go together and have kind of a holy origin. So then I cover The cookware and bake it for about half an hour at 3:50. Then if you really want to get technical, I do this about an hour and a half before my guests are due to arrive because once it’s cooked in its juices, I lower the oven to 215. I then put in all the other dishes that have made either that day or throughout the week. And I let the oven slowly rise while we have our Seder. So I can pull out the knishes and the mock Kiska when we’re having appetizers and soup, and by that time the chicken, potatoes, veggies are getting even warmer together. When this works right, your meal is perfectly ready right around the time that you need it to be. Having thrown passover for 22 years two nights in a row, we sort of have a down to a very nice science. The new addition in the last five years, has been making the sweet and sour brisket in the crockpot, which is the recipe that people most often ask for, Because it’s so darn delicious. And that I make in the crockpot at 6 AM, the slow cooker, and leave on and it stays warm when dinner is ready. It’s harder to get the temperature right on the butternut squash risotto, because it stove top. And last night I thought it was cooler than it needed to be to be tasty. And there you have it folks. I can write more privately with that double chocolate pudding recipe, but for my kids it’s not a holiday unless there’s double chocolate putting. And last night we had six kids and eight adults, and they all ate it. Happy beautiful holiday to everyone who celebrating today.