Play Book Tag discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Archive: Other Books > A Woman in White/Collins - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments There was a lot to enjoy about this mystery written in 1859. Collins tells the tale of two sisters, Marian and Laura. Laura is engaged to be married to a baronet, but shortly before the wedding, she is warned that marrying him would be a terrible idea. On this premise, hinges a very complex plot. In my mind, the plot collapses a bit under its own convoluted weight, but the characters themselves are very entertaining, and on that lies the strength of the book.

Collins also uses a method to tell the story that was interesting. It is told in a strictly linear fashion, but using the voices and perspectives of different characters. I've certainly read tons of books that use first person narratives from the different characters, but I can't recall one adhering to linear timeline in quite the same way.

All in all, I found this book to use a level of detail that creates a feeling that it all could have really happened, but also causes the book to drag on a bit at points. Fortunately, Collins is pretty skilled at using suspense, such that the book begs to be finished despite the length.

Ellen | 2090 comments I read this one recently and was beginning to think it would never end! It was definitely interesting but waaaaaaay too long.

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Ellen wrote: "I read this one recently and was beginning to think it would never end! It was definitely interesting but waaaaaaay too long."

Yeah! It was kinda weird because it was 450 pages, but it took me TWO whole weeks to read it, and I felt like I was reading it very consistently. It seemed so much longer than that . . .

So agree completely with that assessment. Interesting characters and plot, but somehow drawn out in a way that was overly detailed and needed editing.

LibraryCin | 8128 comments This is one that I've hemmed and hawed about whether or not to read (given my sometimes-I-like-them/sometimes-I-don't with classics).

However, I was gifted the book at Christmas last year, so I will read it at some point. It is LONG, though, and small font in my copy, so it's taking a while to convince myself! I have had opportunities already this year to match up with various challenges, but we'll see.

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments LibraryCin wrote: "This is one that I've hemmed and hawed about whether or not to read (given my sometimes-I-like-them/sometimes-I-don't with classics).

However, I was gifted the book at Christmas last year, so I w..."

I will be honest with you Cindy and say it reads long . . .so you definitely want to pick it up when time permits. I did enjoy it. I needed to get it done for a challenge though, and it felt a little time pressured even with two full weeks.

message 6: by Jgrace (last edited Mar 31, 2018 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jgrace | 2761 comments I enjoyed this one, but I know it was the voice performances that did the trick for me. I had this edition The Woman in White which had several of the best performers. The book really lent itself to the use of several different voices.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 228 comments I loved this book despite its length!