Goodreads Ireland discussion

Waiting for Godot
This topic is about Waiting for Godot
Quarterly Irish Reads > Q2 2018 Quarterly Play: Waiting for Godot

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This is the discussion thread for our Quarterly Irish Play for April to June - Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett .

Bookworm with Kids Barbara posted some links in the Nomination thread and I am copying them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wifcy...
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4M3...
I will be watching these during this quarter.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I watched this yesterday as I am laid up with a serious case of bronchitis. It is wonderful! It definitely is worth watching and I thought it would be even richer if I also had a copy of the play while I watched it.
For some reason, I had remembered this play as only having 2 characters. I was mistaken! My James Joyce book group is currently reading Beckett's novels. One of the members just shared this about Godot:
Laurel & Hardy and Charlie Chaplin were among his film favorites, and Beckett seems to insert them furtively in the midst of gloom, depression, and despair. Somewhere I read or was told that, in reading Beckett, always be alert for the jokes, which come unannounced.

The Druid Theater is doing a month long production of Godot here in Washington DC, but the tickets cost a fortune - the cheapest are over $90. But I will keep my eye out for discount tickets and may go to see it.

Lorraine | 152 comments My friend went to see that production when it was touring Ireland. She said it was amazing. I had to work that night and I was gutted to miss the performance.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments There are discounts available for Godot. Most my friends probably have tickets so I’ll just have to see if there’s a performance I can get to. Week nights are hard. Weekends are expensive.

message 6: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Humphreys | 9 comments Hello All! C.C. Humphreys here. You read my novel 'Plague' a couple of years back.
Thrilled to see you are reading Beckett. Some of you may recall I am also an actor - and I am performing his 'Krapp's Last Tape' in May an again in September. In British Columbia, so if anyone is out this way...
Also got a new novel out in June 'Chasing the Wind'. Yes, I am a busy boy, always swapping hats. wait! Don't Vladimir and Estragon do that?

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments C.C. wrote: "Hello All! C.C. Humphreys here. You read my novel 'Plague' a couple of years back.
Thrilled to see you are reading Beckett. Some of you may recall I am also an actor - and I am performing his 'Krap..."

I think promoting your own books belongs in a different thread no matter if you try to make it relate to the topic.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I am reading Beckett's novels in my James Joyce groups. I have to sayMolloy has parts that are very reminiscent of Godot and very funny!

message 9: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali (ali909) | 88 comments Reading it right now. well, or rather listening to it, as it is an audio book.
I must say, the images of Laurel and Hardy are stuck in my head :))
i am thoroughly enjoying it!

the dialogues are equally bizarre and hilarious.

Colleen | 1205 comments I am definitely in the minority but I loath this play , it left me cold .

Bookworm with Kids Colleen wrote: "I am definitely in the minority but I loath this play , it left me cold ."

I am wondering if you read the play or did you watch it? I read it and to be honest, it isn't a riveting read! I feel that seeing it staged would be better as I think most of the comedy comes from the performance not the words.

Colleen | 1205 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I am definitely in the minority but I loath this play , it left me cold ."

I am wondering if you read the play or did you watch it? I read it and to be honest, it isn't a riveting ..."

I read it so maybe I should watch it ,but I really didn't see the comedy in it .

Lorraine | 152 comments I got the audiobook from the library and I thought it was darkly funny. Maybe that is the way to go with Beckett.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments In my James Joyce group here in Washington DC, we are reading 3 of Beckett's novels. We read aloud which is essential to enjoying them. While most of the members are older - the oldest is a youthful 92 - we have one young woman, probably late 20's who loves reading this stuff.

Last week on the tv program Jeopardy there was a question about a modern play in French where the cast was all female instead of all male - answer : Waiting for Godot. I knew it! The clues were that it was in French and all male. There may have been another hint but I forget. So knowing the play could earn you $$ .

message 15: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Imagine what a treat it would be to see Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart in the play. There are clips on YouTube. Apparently Steve Martin and Robin Williams did it too.

Colleen | 1205 comments I still need to watch the play . Reading the play just made me mad . I hated how they treated each other . I think reading it something got lost in translation lol

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Sherry wrote: "Imagine what a treat it would be to see Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart in the play. There are clips on YouTube. Apparently Steve Martin and Robin Williams did it too."

I'd love to see that!

message 18: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Barbara wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Imagine what a treat it would be to see Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart in the play. There are clips on YouTube. Apparently Steve Martin and Robin Williams did it too."

I'd love to..."

They’re both wonderful actors!

message 19: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Colleen wrote: "I still need to watch the play . Reading the play just made me mad . I hated how they treated each other . I think reading it something got lost in translation lol"
Sometimes it helps. I actually don’t belong here lol I never finished it.