Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Good People
This topic is about The Good People
Quarterly Irish Reads > Q2 2018 QIR: The Good People Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This is the discussion thread for our Quarterly Irish Read for April to June - The Good People by Hannah Kent

Phil I read this last year. I thought it was a really good read.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I also read this several months ago. I often forget details of a book after I've read it, but I will stop in to see if I have anything to add.

message 4: by SherryRose (new) - added it

SherryRose | 0 comments I read Burial Rites a few years ago. It was very good. Maybe I’ll read this one. Right now I’m listening to The Magician King.

Colleen | 1205 comments I will be starting this as soon as I finish The Belfast Girl

Kimberly | 5 comments I’ve started the Good People and it is undeniably wonderful writing. I am transported to the hard mostly hopeless lives that are being lived here. It is much different than Burial Rites in the plot but the sad hopelessness is the same.

Colleen | 1205 comments I really liked The Good People but I didn't love it .The ending was meh for me .I though it wrapped up too fast and left me with questions , I don't have a problem with loose ends but on the main part of the book all the questions were answered but the end was but why? It could be me . I still liked it enough to give it 4 stars.

Donald Leitch I have just started to read The Good People, just finished the first chapter.

Bookworm with Kids I have started this but I am finding that the story is unfolding slowly. I am a short way through but I am liking it so far. Do people want me to open the spoiler thread at this stage?

Bookworm with Kids OK, I didn't love this. I found it a bit of a slog to get through. I didn't really like any of the characters.

Donald Leitch I am about a third of the way through the novel. The story is slowly unfolding, so I have not yet formed an opinion. I can say that the novel is keeping me curious about superstitious Irish cultural practices.

Colleen | 1205 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "OK, I didn't love this. I found it a bit of a slog to get through. I didn't really like any of the characters."

I liked the book but I really didn't really like any of the characters either but I found the subject matter interesting so I was enjoying it until the last few chapters when I felt it sped up and really ended a bit flat .

message 13: by Phil (last edited May 21, 2018 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil I had read this last year and thought it was a very good book. I enjoyed quite a bit of the folkloric traditional superstitous elements to it (while I was aware of some, I wasn't aware of all) and I was really involved to see how it ended. One side of my family is from south Limerick so the closeness to Kerry also attracted to me with keen interest. The placenames and family names in it were all familiar to my mother when I read them to her.

Liked it alot.