Play Book Tag discussion

Manhattan Beach
This topic is about Manhattan Beach
Archive: Other Books > LISTOPIA - Manhattan Beach - Jennifer Egan - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Meh. That's how I feel about Manhattan Beach. I felt meh about the Goon Squad too and turfed it after a few chapters (although some tell me to go back and persist and I will be rewarded). There is no doubt that Egan can write, but I felt as if this was trying to be too many things, and none of them really worked in the end. I thought it would pull together and it didn't. I liked listening to the audio well enough, but it did nothing to grab me and there were times where I found it boring. Ultimately disappointing despite some moments of clarity. In the end I was looking forward to it being over so that I could move on to my next book.

I read this for my Listopia challenge, which is Man Booker Prize Eligible 2018.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments I think that’s how a lot of people had found this book, so I’m really not surprised. Unfortunately it’s made all kinds of lists, but I haven’t seen a rave for this one yet. It went off my list a little while ago. Maybe the next one will be better.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments It was meh for me, too, Susie. There were times I was really enjoying it, but ultimately it does not pull together well. I am, however, a big fan of the Goon Squad.

Booknblues | 5789 comments I don't know that I would rave about it but I did like it more than any of you. :)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments It was a solid 4 stars for me.

Susie | 4488 comments Booknblues and Linda, did either of you listen to the audio? Maybe that was the problem.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments I am so over reading books set during WWII that this was not seriously on my radar. Your review makes that decision easier to stick to lol.