Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Out Of Place Scifi Horror

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2736 comments Typically, scifi horror which is not "out of place" features monsters and horrors that fit and are "appropriate" to the overall science fiction genre, such as aliens, mutants or killer robots. However, some films feature horror creatures rather unusual for the sci-fi genre. Two very prominent examples are even installments in well-known franchise series otherwise not at all connected to science fiction. I'm referring to Jason X and Leprechaun 4: In Space here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprech...

These films are considered to be rather poor installments in their franchises and desperate attempts at infusing fresh blood into them, but to see a straight slasher veteran like Jason Vorhees or even an Irish leprechaun causing havoc on a spaceship is still quite weird.

I suspect that both films might have been "inspired" and influenced by Critters 4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critters_4

The fourth Critters movie has a similar vibe like the two latter movies, but since the series featured aliens and bounty hunters from outer space from the beginning, the deep space setting is not so out of place here as in the other franchises.

Do You know other sci-fi horror flicks with unusual or weird villain creatures or even additional sequel movies that suddenly went deep space?

message 2: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Hellraiser 4 Bloodline was partly set on a space station.

message 3: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 308 comments "Planet of the Vampires" 1965, directed by Mario Bava (but not his best).

message 4: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Lifeforce (1985) A great example of (mostly naked) vampires from space.

message 5: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2736 comments David wrote: "Lifeforce (1985) A great example of (mostly naked) vampires from space."

Yeah! If I remember right, it was directed by Tobe Hooper, based on an even weirder novel by Colin Wilson.

I would also mention Event Horizon (1997) here, starring Sam Neil. No vampires, just a black hole, a spaceship and a gateway to hell.

message 6: by Nicos (new)

Nicos | 123 comments John Carpenter's The Thing and Alien are the first that spring to my mind as far as Horror Sci-Fi, and the original Terminator as that is much more a horror movie in tone than a Sci-Fi movie, but if we are going to go with lesser known or forgotten ones I will toss out Moontrap, Screamers and Virus.

Moontrap (1989) is about a group of machine lifeforms that build bodies and machines out of pre-existing machines and organic matter. It has been forever since I have seen it but I do remember them being able to make cyborg zombies out of machines and corpses.

Screamers (1995) is about AI self-replicating weapons of war that begin to evolve on their own and become capable of impersonating and infiltrating humans.

Virus (1999) is about an energy force from space that is capable of creating bio-organic cybernetic monsters. The movie is terrible but the monsters are really neat.

message 7: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Ekel wrote: "David wrote: "Lifeforce (1985) A great example of (mostly naked) vampires from space."

Yeah! If I remember right, it was directed by Tobe Hooper, based on an even weirder novel by Colin Wilson.

I..."

Yep, that'd be the one. I loved Wilson's book - or at least I did when I was a kid! ;)

Event horizon is another good shout.

message 8: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Nicos wrote: "John Carpenter's The Thing and Alien are the first that spring to my mind as far as Horror Sci-Fi, and the original Terminator as that is much more a horror movie in tone than a Sci-Fi movie, but i..."

John Carpenter's The Thing remains my favorite sci-fi-horror. A true classic.