Play Book Tag discussion

The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts
Archive: Other Books > The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu / Joshua Hammer. 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9085 comments According to the title (and subtitle), this is meant to be about librarians in Timbuktu (a city in the African country of Mali) who saved over 300,000 manuscripts from Al Qaeda after they occupied Timbuktu. Really, there was some about the guy collecting all these manuscripts, and later on, about evacuating them all; but, the majority of the book was really about the history of Islam, and the history of the area.

I was disappointed. I guess I’m just not that interested in the history, at least the way it was written in this book, anyway. I listened to the audio, which may have had a bearing on what I thought, but in all honesty, I still don’t think I would have liked it.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments That’s good to know. I think I’m gonna take it off my TBR as well. One of those situations where it sounded better than it actually was.

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Yeah, if you read the other reviews, many say what I said, as well, so it's not just me! :-)

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6894 comments I've been interested in this as well. I'm not sure from your review if I would like it or not. I'm always interested in history and I find Timbuktu fascinating if just for its name.

LibraryCin | 9085 comments You could still give it a try if you'd like. It's under 300 pages for the print, I believe.

I do often find history interesting, but not so much this one. Not sure if it was the audio or the disappointment based on expectations...? You can check some of the other reviews, but many had a similar reaction to me. Leah felt the same, and she reads a lot of history, as well. She also listened to the audio, though.