Group Read Archive 2014 > Judas Iscariot And Others - chapters 7 - 9

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX

message 2: by dely (last edited Jul 29, 2014 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

dely | 340 comments I have finished the book and my head is full of questions! I don't know if I wasn't able to catch the sense of this book or if Andreyev leaves all the interpretations open. I hope other readers will finish it soon and will help me to understand.
I have read the book in English (an Italian edition is nearly impossible to find) and for me it was more difficult compared to other books I have read in English.

I have looked also for the real story of Judas in order to understand better and see the differences with Andreyev's story but there isn't one because every Gospel says something different.

Here it goes with my questions, hoping other members will help me to understand:
Why did Judas betray?
- only for money? I don't think so.
- was he envious?
- wanted he be the beloved of Jesus and needed all his attentions?
- does he think that mankind doesn't reserve the Truth and so he prefers to condemn Jesus? In the last chapter (which is really interesting from a philosophical point of view) he says to the other Apostles that they had to defend Jesus because they had to defend Truth. Peter (or John? I don't remember) says that killing is a sin and they could go to Hell and Judas said that for their Master they must be ready also to go to Hell. Judas also adds that now nobody will ever know the Truth because writing about it the Apostles will change a few things to not appear as cowards.
- Judas also wanted that the High Priests (when they torture Jesus) would see the innocence of Him and spare his life so the Truth could spread around the world. Why did he betray Him and then goes to say that He was innocent?
- was the betrayal important in order that mankind would know the Truth? If so, Judas is a very important character because without his betrayal Jesus couldn't take away the sins of the world and couldn't resurrect.

Why did Judas suicide?
- regret? repentance?
- does he know that he doesn't reserve paradise and prefers to suicide because he is too ashamed to go next to Jesus in Paradise?
- why doesn't he ask for forgiveness?

message 3: by Anya (last edited Jul 29, 2014 05:23AM) (new)

Anya MY OWN INTERPRETATION: In Andreyev's version, Iscariot betrays Jesus as a sort of test, to see who actually is in the right, i.e.: 1) is Judas right that all people, and the apostles are liars and don't actually love and cherish Jesus as much as they profess to? 2) Will Jesus be saved at the last moment because of his divinity?

I thought he committed suicide because he truly loved Jesus and was devastated by his death.

TEACHER's INTERPRETATION: Judas was forced to condemn Jesus to a sacrificial death in order to awaken true faith and conscience within people. Judas is a tragic figure. He believed that in order for the people, who are ignorant and base in spirit to believe in an ideal, i.e. in Christ, they needed a miracle. This miracle would be the resurrection of Christ after a martyr's death. Judas also chose his own cross to bear. By betraying Christ, he condemned himself to eternal damnation and the label of traitor.

dely | 340 comments For sure Andreyev leaves the reader with a lot of questions and no answers. I think he did it on purpose, he didn't want to give answers but lead the reader to think about all these questions: can a betrayal have good causes? can a man suicide for too much love? how important is it to be accepted and understood?

I like also your interpretation but I don't think the other Apostles didn't love Jesus also if Peter has denied him. At the end he asks for forgiveness and he obtains it. Why didn't Judas ask for forgiveness? I think this are all questions without answers and though I have finished the book I will think about it for a long time.

message 5: by Amalie (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Here's my idea:

The title says "Judas Iscariot and Others". I think the others here are the other Apostles. Judas says the Apostles are the true traitors for not aiding Christ. Which is a very interesting point of view!

You know, it never really occurred to me till I read this, (although it has nothing to do with this story) how on earth that we know or the Apostles knew what Jesus was doing and most specifically saying/praying in the Gethsemane, since they all fell asleep? :)

Andreyev's Judas, knew that none of the other Apostles are willing to drink from "Jesus's cup" as Jesus himself knew. He wanted to prove (this is how it was in the beginning) or may be he really felt, he was different. He felt powerful afterwards but his pride gets wounded when Jesus rejects him again. Now beyond reach of his arguments, Judas chooses suicide.

Andreyev's has focused on the psychology of the traitor. He has not tried to whitewash Judas. It's the same story in the end but he shows there were also "Others". I don't think we can find all the answers, people are complex.

dely | 340 comments Amalie wrote: "The title says "Judas Iscariot and Others". I think the others here are the other Apostles. Judas says the Apostles are the true traitors for not aiding Christ. Which is a very interesting point of view! "

They couldn't. They had two swords and an Apostle took one but Jesus told him to put it down. They also knew that killing is a sin so they couldn't do anything to help him. Others were also scared so they went to hide. Later they justified saying that they must spread God's word so they couldn't risk to be killed by the soldiers.
In a way they are right. It was only Jesus' sacrifice, the Apostles had to live and spread his teachings. For Judas this was cowardice and in my opinion it's because he didn't understood the teaching of Jesus (in the book, not in the true history seen that we don't know it).

Me too, I think we can't find answers but with this book the reader has a lot to think about.