Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's March '18 madness

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments Agent in Place: Mark Greaney
As I watch the techno writers I have read for years lose their touch to technology and politics, the shining star that remains is Mark Greaney. His Grey Man series is the shining star of techno spy thrillers. This book was no exception, with the Grey Man following his morals to an impossible job in war torn Syria, snatching a baby from the hands of the ruler of the country. Action packed and tense, Greaney did a great job. (A)

Takedown: Brad Thor
Agent Scot Harvath in his early days, hunting the terrorists who declared war on New York City. Regardless of the outcome, New York did not fare so well here. (B+)

Caribbean Rim: Randy Wayne White
Doc Ford again, with is relationships in the background, he is in ‘spy’ mode trying to unravel the mystery of a sunken Spanish gold ship. (B)

To Fetch a Thief: Spencer Quinn
Told from the point of view of Chet, the dog, the Little detective agency goes after a stolen elephant. (B)

The Switch: Joseph Finder
Some things don't change. The characters in Finder’s novels all have the same magic 8 ball, the one that always tells you to do the stupid thing. Yet they seem blessed with luck, or street smarts that lets them come out ahead in the end. So it goes when a powerful Senator loses a laptop full of classified material, and decides she will do anything to get it back. (B)

Moskva: Jack Grimwood
British book, cold war Russia, the daughter of the ambassador is kidnapped by a sadistic killer, so a British spy is brought in to save her. Complex story. (B)

Act of Revenge: Dale Brown
Terrorists go after Boston. Spies, with a potent AI, try to stop them. (B)

Cold Case: Stephen White
An independent organization dedicated to justice tries to unravel the death of 2 teens 12 years earlier. (B)

Vermilion Drift: William Kent Krueger
Cork O’Connor, half Irish, Half Ojibwe, returns to the tribe to investigate bodies found in an old mine, (B)

Crime Always Pays: Declan Burke
Farce, with American criminals and cops (hard to tell the difference here) cavorting in Greece as written by an Irishman. So many double crosses, you could not begin to figure out how it will end. (B)

Crises: Alexander Grace
Wargamer (professional) writes of a third world r3evolt against the US and Russia, driving the US and Russia closer together. Written in 1991, the world has certainly changed since this was written. (B)

Judas Child: Carol O’Connell
The hunt for kidnapped children, and a couple of kidnapped children that think way beyond their years in defeating the kidnapper. They were probably smarter than the police here. (B)

You Could Call it Murder: Lawrence Block
The good old days, where men were men and mysteries were less than 150 pages long, and at least a bit noirish. This is a short, early stand alone by Block with a NY detective trying to decide if an apparent suicide really was. (B)

Compound Fractures: Stephen White
Deceit, lies and murder. This time it just did not grab me. (B-)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Looks like a pretty fair month...with one standout!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Nice looking list Barry! Several can't miss authors with solid entries, old series pals and a bit of quirky. What's not to like.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hooper | 23 comments I am determined to master Goodreads. I will try by posting my March reads soon.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Good to see you Cathy! I look forward to seeing your list!
Cathy wrote: "I am determined to master Goodreads. I will try by posting my March reads soon."

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Great month Barry! I've actually read a few of them.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry. I read the switch and liked it.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Interesting list of books, Barry. Although I might have to skip the one with the dog and the elephant.

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Interesting list of books, Barry. Although I might have to skip the one with the dog and the elephant."

All of Spencer Quinn's books are written as seen through the dog's eyes.

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Nice month, Barry.