Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > New covers coming

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamie (new)

Tamie Dearen (tamied) | 11 comments Hi! I'm updating my entire series of book covers. I just thought I'd ask for help before I screw everything up instead of after.
How do I add a new cover and combine it to make that the primary edition? Or did I even ask the right questions?

message 2: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1357 comments On GR, we do not change book covers, but create Alternate Cover Editions:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8...

As the author, you can then set the covers you want as the default edition:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 3: by Tamie (new)

Tamie Dearen (tamied) | 11 comments In the description of the Alternate Cover Edition, I followed the link to a book by Nora Roberts. Yet when I searched for that book on Goodreads, I found only the one cover of the book, with no alternate editions.

As I understand it, when I put up a new alternate edition with a different cover and a different publication date, I will get a whole new set of reviews that cannot be combined. Is that true? So every book with a new cover will have two completely separate listings? Two different editions that cannot be combined?
Or will it be like the example of Nora Roberts book, where evidently the original edition was combined with the new one?

If there will be two copies of all of these books on Goodreads, something will which be irritating and confusing to readers, I suppose it might be better to simply leave the old cover up rather than updating the Goodreads listing.

Sorry to be so dense, but I am easily confused.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott No, the books and reviews of those books will be combined.

Why do you think your readers will be confused?

message 5: by Tamie (new)

Tamie Dearen (tamied) | 11 comments I thought there would be two different listings with two different covers... If they are combined, where will the two different covers be?

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Tamie wrote: "I thought there would be two different listings with two different covers... If they are combined, where will the two different covers be?"

They will be different listings, but will only show once under your profile and all the reviews will show for all editions. When you visit the book page you will see a space for "other editions", which is where you can see the other covers and readers can choose one of those to shelve if they like.

message 7: by Tamie (new)

Tamie Dearen (tamied) | 11 comments Ah, I see. Thanks for your explanation.