New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow discussion

Rewarding Experience

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William Morrow (new)

William Morrow | 8 comments Mod
What was your most rewarding experience pre- or post- on sale?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
I was recently the guest author for a bookclub dinner in Northern Wisconsin and had a chance to meet a group of people who had read and enjoyed my novel. I was reminded of the crucial relationship between reader and writer. As John Cheever once said, " I can't write without a reader. It's precisely like a kiss--you can't do it alone."

message 3: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I was recently the guest author for a bookclub dinner in Northern Wisconsin and had a chance to meet a group of people who had read and enjoyed my novel. I was reminded of the crucial relationship..."

What a perfect quote, Mary, and it exactly captures the great joy I felt being able to connect with readers.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Creech | 7 comments Mod
The most rewarding experiences so far have been the outpouring of support from independent bookstores who are run by passionate readers. Holding my hardback book with its gorgeous cover has been a pretty good feeling as well!

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harbour (katherineharbour) | 27 comments Mod
My most rewarding experience has been receiving emails or comments from readers who have genuinely loved the book. I feel I've done something right, drawing them into the world I've written.

message 6: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Gaynor (hazelgaynor) | 26 comments Mod
My most rewarding experience has been meeting readers in person, or online, and hearing their experiences of reading The Girl Who Came Home. To know that you have genuinely moved someone to tears, or made them laugh, or inspired them to make a trip to Ireland to connect with distant relatives is what this is all about!

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 19 comments Mod
William Morrow wrote: "What was your most rewarding experience pre- or post- on sale?"

I've received some incredible emails from readers. One of my favorites was from a gentleman who wrote to me: "Thank you for broadening my understanding and compassion for women in parts of the world I know nothing about." It's quite an incredible to feeling to think that I had a part in opening his eyes to the plight of Afghan women which, to me, is connected to the challenges women face around the globe.

I also get all weepy-eyed when I see my parents, brother, husband and extended family boast about the book. A hometown newspaper reporter recently contacted me at my father's request and told me how proud my dad sounded talking about my book. The feeling is very mutual.

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie La Seur (carrielaseur) | 20 comments Mod
My hometown Rotary club invited me to read, then lined up and bought dozens of books. It was like being a famous author my first week published. At that event, one of the uniformed servers at the hotel went back to the kitchen, got her wallet, and bought my book. The purchase price of a hardcover is real money to her. I was just about moved to tears.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rotert | 12 comments Mod
i would echo what everyone has said here. The readers, the bookclubs, the awesome indie bookstores and their tireless booksellers. My hometown release was just a long, weepy event. i must have signed books for an hour and a half. Relatedly, I had an essay published in the NYTimes this week (at the urging of my publicist) and the response has been so overwhelming...many people writing me with stories about their parents, about their sobriety. I've been basically crying for a week.....bit what i love most about it is the idea that an honest story (fiction or no) can and will inspire others to tell their stories. Beautiful.

message 10: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
I did so many wonderful events, but I have to admit that my favorite moment was going to my hometown to do a reading at our local Mark Twain Library. It was very It's A Wonderful Life, where all the people I'd ever known and loved from back home were there...even the librarian who read to me at story-time when I was four!

message 11: by Lacy (new)

Lacy Crawford | 14 comments Mod
..Hands down, the notes from parents and students, saying the book shifted their thinking about college, competition, and the rat race; made them laugh and set them back down on their feet with some perspective and new confidence. One young woman wrote that she'd changed her application completely after reading Early Decision, and felt brave enough to apply to her tippy-top choice. She got in.

message 12: by M (last edited Aug 20, 2014 11:04AM) (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
I, too, really have appreciated the chance to connect with people, both at events and through the e-mails I've received. Readers really like June, my main character, but an e-mail arrived a few minutes ago that I absolutely loved, talking about Ray, a 17 year old character who thinks of himself as an outlaw: "I could not quit laughing over describing Ray. He is a man who is so smart, plays video games and reads comic books. Gee, I am 78 and wish I had met such a manly man in the 1950s."

But I also appreciated working with Rachel, my editor. In our early conversations we connected over wanting a strong female hero, and I really appreciated talking with someone who valued that the same way I did.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
It’s also been rewarding to read thoughtful reviews from readers. Feedback is hugely important. If someone takes the time to give a thoughtful analysis of my book, I’m very touched.

message 14: by Emmi (new)

Emmi Itäranta | 19 comments Mod
Encounters with readers. While I think the writing process should be a reward in itself, hearing back from the readers does bring a whole new dimension to it. It's an affirmation of the fact that you have brought something into the world that wasn't there before.

It was also a very emotional moment when the University of Kent, where I first started writing my novel, hosted a book launch for me in June this year. I may have got a bit teary.

New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow

unread topics | mark unread