New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow discussion

Reading Now

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William Morrow (new)

William Morrow | 8 comments Mod
Are you reading anything you love right now?

message 2: by Emmi (last edited Aug 20, 2014 05:47AM) (new)

Emmi Itäranta | 19 comments Mod
I know the rest of the world has already read everything by Robin Hobb, but I'm a late starter and am currently reading Assassin's Apprentice. It's beautifully written, compelling fantasy fiction.

I also cannot wait to get my hands on David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks which comes out next month. Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green are among my favourite novels, and I'm a huge fan of Mitchell's skill with narrative voices.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Creech | 7 comments Mod
Right now I'm reading Haruki Murakami's new novel titled Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. Murakami's blend of realism and surrealism satisfies me with each new novel he writes.

message 4: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
Cop Town by Karin Slaughter. Her last book, Criminal, had flashbacks to the 70s, where a pair of female cops had to navigate racism and sexism in order to solve a killing. This book takes place entirely in the 70s, and Slaughter doesn't flinch in exploring the sexism, violence, and racism of the era. And she gets the cultural touches right, with such a great sense of time and place that I half expect the type to be in avocado green and harvest gold.

Cop Town

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie La Seur (carrielaseur) | 20 comments Mod
My husband's cousin, Waverly Fitzgerald, is a Seattle author who writes a mystery series featuring a talking Chihuahua. This didn't sound to me like the most likely premise for fiction, but they're actually great. I'm reading Chihuahua Confidential and enjoying it a lot. I'm reading another book by a debut novelist getting great reviews (not on this list) and it's so pretty, so beautifully done, that it's like a painting I have looked at and greatly appreciated - and am now bored with. More needs to happen, right now, or I'm giving it away.

message 6: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Gaynor (hazelgaynor) | 26 comments Mod
Currently reading Liberty Silk, a lovely, multi-era book by Irish author, Kate Beaufoy. Set around the lives of three women and how they are all connected. Beautifully written with wonderful characters.

message 7: by Joshilyn (new)

Joshilyn Jackson | 9 comments Mod
I am reading Uncle TOm's Cabin for my classics book club, and after that I will reread the remarkably good ORPHAN TRAIN for my neighborhood book club.

M.P I JUST finished COP TOWN---WHEW I loved it.

message 8: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
I'm just finishing Anna Karenina which I'm reading for the first time and it's amazing-- there are so many characters I love beyond Anna herself, a phenomenon I wasn't expecting. I'm also about to start Marie-Helene Bertino's 2 Am at The Cat's Pajamas, which just came out, and is supposed to be wonderful!

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harbour (katherineharbour) | 27 comments Mod
Right now I'm reading The Stolen by Bishop O'Connell (which is about modern faeries) and love the main character, Brendan, a great hero. I'm also reading Archon by Sabrina Benulis, a truly creepy and gorgeous story of a strange college haunted by demons and angels.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rotert | 12 comments Mod
Am in the middle of Wonderland by Stacy D'Erasmus...aging indie rocker makes a kind-of comeback..chronicles returning to the life after fame and failure. ...little chapters that read like delicious prose poems. not for you if you depend on plot-plot-plot. IS for you if you're a closet poet, love language, love books that remind you, Hey, it's your book. You get to do whatever the bloom you want! i love such books.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
Right now I'm reading The Boys in the Boat. The book tells the story of the University of Washington's eight-oar crew team in the 1936 Olympics. I never thought that reading about a rowing crew would be even remotely interesting. But this book is truly inspirational! Plus, it's a fun summer read.

message 12: by Lacy (new)

Lacy Crawford | 14 comments Mod
Oh yes. Lauren Grodstein's A Friend of the Family. Also just finished the wonderful "The Heights" by Peter Hedges

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harbour (katherineharbour) | 27 comments Mod
Emmi wrote: "I know the rest of the world has already read everything by Robin Hobb, but I'm a late starter and am currently reading Assassin's Apprentice. It's beautifully written, compelling fantasy fiction.
..."

I love Robin Hobb's Assassin series. The characters are intriguing.

message 14: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 19 comments Mod
This morning I finished reading Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. I absolutely love her writing. So dark and creepy yet so beautifully told. Confession - I'm not sure what's more disturbing...her twisted and gory plots or the fact that I enjoy them so much.

New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cop Town (other topics)